International pricing & shopify payments

pierre-oord
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi,

We would like to charge different prices per country. I found this article :https://shopify.dev/custom-storefronts/products/international-pricing

It states that international pricing is possible, but only if you use Shopify payments. This confuses me.

- What does Shopify payments have to do with the prices shown on the store front?

- I use Shopify Payments, but also some alternative payment methods that Shopify Payments does not offer. What does this mean for my store?

Thanks for clarifying!

Replies 3 (3)
Victor
Shopify Staff
1160 104 260

Hi @pierre-oord,

Thank you for getting in touch. Shopify's international pricing feature was built and developed to be compatible with Shopify Payments, and as such having the gateway enabled is required in order to access this feature. The feature is not just about what prices are shown on the storefront but also about how they are converted at checkout and how the payment processed via the payment gateway, and as such was developed to work with Shopify's own payment processor.

If you have Shopify Payments enabled, you can still use some other gateways and payment methods with international pricing—for example, you can accept payments this way through PayPal Express Checkout and accelerated checkouts such as Apple Pay, but there are some checkout restrictions. More information can be found here

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this feature and I would be happy to help.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

pierre-oord
Tourist
6 0 3

Thanks for clarifying. Do you know if it is possible to set decimals in price adjustment for a country or region?

We use a Shopify app called "Exemptify" to calculate the different VAT amounts. To be able to use this tool, Shopify prices need to be entered excluding VAT. To then ensure all European countries have the same final price including VAT, for Germany I would have to put e.g. 1,6807% on top of the normal price (2% / 1,19).

pierreoord_1-1637871459235.png

Note that we're just a small start-up company (basic plan), and make sales to many European countries. I noticed that it's also possible to set a price per product in each country, but for that we would have to upgrade to the Advanced plan. As Shopify lacks quite some international support (e.g. not calculating VAT for businesses, not being able to translate page templates), it would then make more sense for us to switch to another platform that is more fit for Europe.

Victor
Shopify Staff
1160 104 260

Hi @pierre-oord,

Merchants using the Advanced plan are able to set prices for different countries and regions using decimals, but you would not be able to do this directly with price rounding or adjustments on lower plans. You can of course use rounding and adjustments to try and get the prices to be as accurate as you want them to be but this requires more effort and calculations than just setting the price directly. More details can be found here.

I can appreciate that when on the Basic plan this is not an ideal setup and appreciate your concerns re: selling in Europe using Shopify (also please do be aware that we do allow for theme translations). If you have any further questions please let me know.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog