Invalid object type for field brand

April_Feola
Excursionist
15 0 7

Would anyone happen to know why my BRAND field is coming up all warnings since Oct 1st?  It was fine until then, now all of them are slowly erroring out in google search.  And YES my brand is filled in as well.

Replies 21 (21)

ABvZ
Tourist
5 0 3

Same issue... why is this happening?

jrfackler
Tourist
8 0 1

Same problem as well. It started after updating to the 2.0 theme.

bmac
Tourist
9 0 12

I found a solution. I'm not sure why search console is suddenly acknowledging this error and I'm not sure if my file always had the wrong code or if google made a recent update. According to google the the code within the product structured data file should read 

"brand": {
        "@type": "Brand",
        "name": "ACME"
      },

I checked in my file and indeed it was wrong. It read...

"@type": "Thing",
"name": {{ product.vendor | json }}
},

So I simply changed the word "Thing" to "Brand" and its now fixed. 

jrfackler
Tourist
8 0 1

Thank you for the solution. Could you please explain where I can find the product structured data file?

bmac
Tourist
9 0 12

(For me) the code can be found in a Snippet file called product__structured-data.liquid

TangentTom
Tourist
3 0 3

Perfect! Thanks for that bmac 🙂 🙂 For me, I found it in my product.liquid file. (I'm using Debut theme - line 59)

lmsports
Tourist
4 0 5

Why does this have to be done out of the box?? Come on Shopify !! 😐

thegoodest
Tourist
10 1 1

How long does it take for this issue to update on Google's end? I fixed the code and also added a SKU to an item that was missing one, but right after I clicked "validate fix" and got nowhere. 

bmac
Tourist
9 0 12

If you haven't done so I suggest testing the fix first before validating by using the Rich Results Testing Tool. https://search.google.com/test/rich-results

Once you determine everything looks good in the tester you can go on Search Console and either "Validate Fix" which could take anywhere from 1 to 30 days OR you can ask google to index it which can speed up that process by queuing the URL first in line to be indexed next. Usually only takes a day or two.  

To request indexing locate the search bar at the top of the Search Console home page and paste your URL into it. A page will load with some info... look for "Request Indexing" clickable text. Click it... A pop up should appear saying "Testing if live URL can be indexed". If all goes well it should end up saying Request submitted.

thegoodest
Tourist
10 1 1

Thank you so much for that! Guess it's like everything else in the SEO world: glacial as opposed to instant. 

Rich_Woodward
Shopify Partner
10 0 5

In the Dawn Theme this schema can be found in the main-product.liquid file under Sections. It's also in the featured-product.liquid code if you use a featured product section on the home page or anywhere else in your site. 

TGGP
Tourist
7 0 0

So....I am new to this issue edit process.

As I see the "Thing"....how do/can I edit it to "Brand".

I highlight it // do backspace/delete and it does not let me edit.

How/where/can I edit that "word"...???

bmac
Tourist
9 0 12

Hmm sounds like something support would be better equipped at helping you with. If you located the area that needs to be edited but you're saying it wont let you edit sounds like some sort of glitch in your theme editor.

Murray7255
Visitor
1 0 0

I faced similar kind of issue last time, I am still searching for some proper solution.

April_Feola
Excursionist
15 0 7
Hi,

I use rich snippets app thru shopify by webex Studios-
SEO, JSON-LD, Schema

by Webrex Studio

Although I did not find the solution on my own by going thru my templates
and searching for what the others had put as their solution, I am signed up
with the pro plan with the webrex studio app Seo,Json-LD, Schema and they
have applied a fix. I gave them a background as to what was happening,
then told them what solved the problem for others, and now my brand errors
are finally going away in my GSC.

I would suggest to use them for this and yes sign up for the pro plan.
Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

I just did that. A representative responded even though it is like 9PM their time. 

April_Feola
Excursionist
15 0 7
Hi, I was able to have the issue fixed by adding the following app to my
store:
SEO, JSON-LD, Schema

by Webrex Studio

I bought the one time pro plan, contacted them to notify them of the issue
and they took care of it for me.

specklefarms
Excursionist
24 0 7

This doesn't seem ideal as a solution. Why do we have to pay for something that is obviously broken?

Chiragjain
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

Whats the solution for this for Shopify 2.0?

AlohaAkahai
Shopify Partner
68 3 25

Okay guys. It took me awhile to found it.

Sections > main-product.liquid

"@type": "Thing",
        "name": {{ product.vendor | json }}
      },

Switch @type to Brand.  It will fix ld+json  in html page. 

Also, If this fixes your issue with this error, please give this 'New Member' thumbs up. 

Ibrahim99
Visitor
1 0 0

Thanks Bro i found it in

snippets -> scheme.liquid

How long does validation take?