Solved

Is it possible to create a shopify shop to sell domain names?

buybrandeddomai
Visitor
1 0 0

I was planning to create a shopping place here in shopify for short domain names (five letttered) that are currently selling at

https://www.buybrandeddomain.com

Is it possible to create something like that here..

The products are domain names

there is no actual shipping  (domain transfer takes 5 to 7 days)

can payment be held in an escrow till the transfer takes place?

Thanks

Ed Roberto

Marketing manager
Accepted Solution (1)

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1548 187 276

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there, @buybrandeddomai

Thanks so much for coming to the Shopify Community and asking your question! You've got a good one here so I'm happy to speak to you on the topic. 

When it comes to determine what is okay to sell on Shopify, we often refer potential merchants to resources like our Acceptable Use Policy, and our Terms of Service page. What I would recommend here is that you take a few moments to read through these documents and view the information related to digital goods present within them. Further, I also have a link to general legal page where you can access some additional information. The links are here for you below: 

I decided to do some additional digging and checked in with our Legal Team about this question. They recommend that I advise you that in order to determine if a specific product is appropriate to be selling online, you will want to speak to legal experts regarding this. It's the merchant's responsibility to ensure the product their selling able to be legally sold online. When I read through the ToS and AUP myself, I saw nothing specific to 'domains', so I will echo that speaking to a legal expert about selling these owned domains online. 

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reply and let me know. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any follow ups.

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1548 187 276

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there, @buybrandeddomai

Thanks so much for coming to the Shopify Community and asking your question! You've got a good one here so I'm happy to speak to you on the topic. 

When it comes to determine what is okay to sell on Shopify, we often refer potential merchants to resources like our Acceptable Use Policy, and our Terms of Service page. What I would recommend here is that you take a few moments to read through these documents and view the information related to digital goods present within them. Further, I also have a link to general legal page where you can access some additional information. The links are here for you below: 

I decided to do some additional digging and checked in with our Legal Team about this question. They recommend that I advise you that in order to determine if a specific product is appropriate to be selling online, you will want to speak to legal experts regarding this. It's the merchant's responsibility to ensure the product their selling able to be legally sold online. When I read through the ToS and AUP myself, I saw nothing specific to 'domains', so I will echo that speaking to a legal expert about selling these owned domains online. 

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reply and let me know. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any follow ups.

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify 

presets
Visitor
1 0 0

What's short answer? Yes or no?

Don
Shopify Staff
2765 199 388

Hi there, @presets!

As per our reply above, you would need to refer to our documentation and contact a legal professional where you are to determine the legality of this in your jurisdiction.

All the best! 

Don | Social Care @ Shopify