Is there a way to disable autofill address?

Shawn17
Shopify Partner
56 0 8

Hello, 

Most of our customers purchase our product as a gift and about 1/3 of them are placed via an invoice sent from a draft order. 

The issue is we will enter the address the customer gives us on the draft order but when we send the invoice Shop Pay automatically overwrites the address with the customer's previously used address. Often the customer doesn't catch this and the order goes through with the wrong address.

Because most people order our products as a gift, they rarely are sending it to their own address and this creates a lot of issues with shipping.

Is there any way to prevent it from autofilling the previously used address? Manually checking over every single order is not feasible either.

Thank you!

Replies 7 (7)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @Shawn17 

I tried a few times to replicate the issue you've been experiencing and I haven't been able to do so. Are you able to walk me through the process of what's happening in more detail?

To clarify, when you create a draft order, you select the customer, and then edit the shipping address. From there, you send the invoice to the customer via email. They then open the email, and try to checkout, and the shipping address has been reverted to their original customer address, instead of the one you entered in the draft order. Is this all correct?

When I try to replicate these steps, I'm not given the option to checkout using Shop Pay, since the shipping details are pre-entered, I am only prompted to pay with credit card via Shopify Payments, or use my other payments methods that are available such as PayPal. This is because the checkout is already past the accelerated checkout options (including Shop Pay) when I open the emailed invoice. 

If you could please walk us through the steps, sharing any screenshots / examples that would be very helpful for troubleshooting this with you. Please be careful not to share any personal information by mistake, make sure to blur those sections out! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Shawn17
Shopify Partner
56 0 8

Hi Hilary, 

Yes, the way you described it is exactly my experience. I am not sure what I am doing differently that the issue doesn't replicate on your side. I've made a screen capture video showing the issue: https://clipchamp.com/watch/6ZkcpTjmHK3

I can't upload it to this forum but you can view it from that link.

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @Shawn17 

Thank you for the screen share recording, super helpful to see what's happening here. I was able to replicate the issue because of this.

Once I entered the Shop Pay code sent to my mobile device, it opened the Shop Pay checkout, and prefilled the checkout for me as it does in your example. The Shop Pay accelerated checkout prefilled my information with my stored address from the Shop Pay app, rather than the shipping address created in the draft order. 

I reached out to our Shop team to see if there is anything we can do here. Essentially, this is expected behavior since Shop Pay is an accelerated checkout. The purpose of an accelerated checkout being to securely store a customer's information, and then automatically use this information when the customer checks out to make it as efficient as possible. This means that it's expected that the shipping address in your draft orders would be be overwritten when your customers checkout using Shop Pay. Of course, I understand why in your scenario, this is not making the checkout as efficient as possible, but is in fact causing issues. 

After understanding all of this, I've taken the time to submit this feedback to our developers in detail on your behalf. While I can't guarantee any changes as a result, the more feedback we receive the better. Stopping Shop Pay from autofilling their address won't be possible at this time, they'll have to edit the ship to address if they checkout using Shop Pay. 

For your customer, the best thing they can do is be aware of checking the shipping details before proceeding to pay for the order. Their options to edit the address are: 

1. The customer can edit the Ship to address in the Shop Pay checkout by adding a different address.
2. The customer can click Checkout as guest to revert to the regular online checkout (not using Shop Pay).

04-38-16427-80268

I'm trying to think of the best way to make sure your customers are aware they need to double check their shipping address when sending a gift. Perhaps you can add a disclaimer to the Draft Order Invoice notification template that gets sent to your customers once you create a draft order reminding them to double check the ship to address on checkout? 

A second option: how are your customers placing these gift orders through you in the first place? Since you're the one created the draft orders, do they phone in their orders? Or what does this look like? This could be a good opportunity to remind them when they pay for the order to double check the shipping address. 

I wish I had more options to offer as far as stopping the autofill from happening, but this won't be possible via Shop Pay at this time. Let me know what you think. 

Shawn17
Shopify Partner
56 0 8
Hi Hilary,

Thank you for the detailed response. To answer your question yes, this
occurs when a customer places an order via phone or one of our other
channels like messenger or email (usually because it's a custom order they
don't place it directly through the website). We do ask them to double
check but it's especially problematic because the invoice email itself
shows the right address. It's not until they open the invoice that they are
presented with the wrong address. This makes for a very awkward explanation
to customers that goes:
Us: "What is the delivery address?"
Customer: [Gives address]
Us: "Thank you. We will send you the invoice now. The invoice email will
have the correct address but when you open the invoice it will show you
this other address from your last order. Be sure to overwrite that with the
address you just gave me".

This is very confusing and not an optimal experience. I tried disabling
Shop Pay but found that the classic shopify check out does not autofill the
old address but instead leaves the address blank. This is slightly better
because there's no risk of it being overlooked but is still less than ideal
and doesn't have the othe benefits of Shop Pay.

Very disapointing!

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Thanks for your reply here. I do understand that the experience you're describing is certainly not optimal for your customers. 

While I agree that disabling Shop Pay is not ideal either, as you lose the benefits of allowing your customers to pay with Shop Pay, I will note that when I tested this, the shipping address was pre-filled from the invoice. Can you try creating a new draft order after Shop Pay is already disabled, and make sure to enter the shipping address in the draft order before you send the invoice? When I did this, the shipping address was pre-filled, I simply had to select a shipping method, and enter my billing information at the checkout. 

Regardless, I still understand that this is not an ideal solution; I have logged this feedback in detail with our developers, and hope that more merchants who have uncovered this same issue will share their feedback with our team as well. Thanks for taking the time to share all of the context with me here, it is much appreciated. 

Shawn17
Shopify Partner
56 0 8
Thanks for getting back to me. It doesn't seem to work for me. When I
disable Shop Pay and send an invoice with address it does not autofill.
The address is just left blank. Any idea why or how to fix?
Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Ah I see, so most of the time this happens because a required shipping field wasn't filled in when the draft order was created. Certain fields of the shipping address are always required and can't be changed. Other fields you set if they are required, optional, or hidden - if any of the required fields are missing, that will likely be the cause. 

For example, if a shipping address phone number is required, but a phone number wasn't entered in the draft order, then this can cause this issue. You can see which shipping fields are setup to be required under Settings > Checkout under Form options

Here's a screenshot of the fields that are always required, no matter your settings in the Checkout:

15-14-41339-76723

Have a look at these settings, and then generate a new invoice once all the required fields have been entered. Let me know how this goes!