Solved

Issue: "Your payment gateway was in test mode when this order was created"

wearpali
Visitor
2 0 2

Hi Team,

I just opened up my website for a pre-launch with some friends and family. As many have noted/experienced before:

1. I also forgot to turn OFF the test mode and my first customer received this error message "Your payment gateway was in test mode when this order was created". 

2. My customer (a friend) let me know about it and I immediately turned off the test mode. 

3. Customer's transaction went through fine and I can see that the payment was processed

wearpali_0-1616890528683.png

4. However, I still see this message at the top of the order even though the status is "Paid"

wearpali_1-1616890572645.png

5. After this, I've had 4 more orders, all of which went through fine without any issue (Total:5 orders).  In my aggregate Orders page on Shopify Desktop it shows as me having 5 orders (including this order #1002) but the Dashboard/Analytics page only show the 4 orders and does not include #1002. How can I fix this? (Also, the Shopify Mobile only shows the 4 orders). 

I searched through the forum for this error message and found a few but they all seemed a little different from what I am asking about. Appreciate your help! 

Accepted Solution (1)
Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Oh, I see! So you removed test mode and the customer (your friend) simply tried payment again on the same order which was then, of course, successful.  As your customer did not restart the whole checkout process, and simply re-attempted to pay for the same order within the same checkout, a new order was not created in the system. Instead, the order that was originally triggered in test mode was simply completed (after several payment attempts) as a real payment. As the order was originally created in test mode, it will forever be marked as such by the banner that you see, despite it having eventually been concluded as a real order. -Hyde

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @wearpali,

Hyde here from Shopify.

If you had your store set up to accept only test orders, then your first customer will not have been charged. In other words, your Customer's transaction will not have gone through and the payment was not processed.

The order will still show on your Orders page (so you will still see 5 orders including order #1002) but the Dashboard/Analytics page will only show the 4 orders that were actually processed (and not test ordered). Alternatively, you could reach out to your customer to ask them to place the order again (explaining what happened) or you could send them an invoice for the product they ordered in the test order.

I hope this helps!

All the best, Hyde.

wearpali
Visitor
2 0 2

Hi Hyde, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, that is not the case. 

I called my customer #1 and let him know as soon as I turned off the test mode and they were able to successfully complete the transaction (they were getting an error when I had it in test mode). I also checked with the customer and their credit card has been charged.  Please see below:

wearpali_0-1616928411982.png

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Oh, I see! So you removed test mode and the customer (your friend) simply tried payment again on the same order which was then, of course, successful.  As your customer did not restart the whole checkout process, and simply re-attempted to pay for the same order within the same checkout, a new order was not created in the system. Instead, the order that was originally triggered in test mode was simply completed (after several payment attempts) as a real payment. As the order was originally created in test mode, it will forever be marked as such by the banner that you see, despite it having eventually been concluded as a real order. -Hyde

ToolandEye
Visitor
1 0 0

I had the exact same thing happen - however when i look at total sales it is not included in there. is the money that was taken from the customer still going to be in my account?

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @ToolandEye,

Hyde here from Shopify.

Could you provide me with a little more context as to what happened in your specific case? Are you certain the customer was charged? Did the order end up in your Abandoned Carts? The more information you can provide me, the better I can help you!

All the best, Hyde.

DabiAdeyemi
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Hyde,

This happened to me as well - I left my site in test mode by accident and had a few people initiate checkout, but then they abandoned their cart. Once I disabled test mode, a few of those people attempted to go back to their abandoned cart and complete their order. However, their checkout pages had this message: "Your card was declined. Your request was in test mode, but used a non test card". A couple of the orders eventually went through after several attempts, but the sale/revenue is not showing up in my analytics. I'm using Klaviyo to send out abandoned cart reminders and I wonder if the links in those reminder emails are still pulling data from when it was in test mode?