it's 2021 why can't we fulfil refunded or cancelled orders

darrenmillar
Tourist
4 0 4

I'm finding it increasingly frustrating that if I cancel or refund an item on and order where the other items are fulfilled that it's IMPOSSIBLE to mark the order fulfilled?

Removed and refunded items remain unfulfilled.

Why is this still a thing?

Sigh.

Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
350 69 70

Hi @darrenmillar 

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the fulfillment process in the admin for canceled or refunded items. I'd also be happy to share some clarification on why these items stay as unfulfilled once they are canceled or refunded. 

To ensure accurate "book-keeping", the actions you take in the admin for certain orders could be limited based on previous interactions with that order. A canceled order means that the order no longer exists, the money has been refunded to customer or never received at all, and the items will not be leaving your store inventory. Since the order is canceled, there is technically no items that should be marked as fulfilled as there is no order to fulfill them through any longer. 

For refunded items, the same thing goes. A fulfilled item is where the item has been removed from your inventory, packaged and delivered/shipped to the customer. If that has not happened, then marking the items as fulfilled would be incorrect and create false tracking. The system also sends automated messages when an order or item is marked as fulfilled, telling the customer it has been shipped out to them and they can expect it soon.

I can understand that esthetically it looks nice to have a list of orders marked as fulfilled in your store admin as an unfulfilled order can look like something may have been missed. In actuality though this is the correct status for the order unless you are still planning on sending the product out even if it was refunded/canceled. 

If I misunderstood what you were referring to, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you!

-Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
darrenmillar
Tourist
4 0 4

Since the order is canceled, there is technically no items that should be marked as fulfilled as there is no order to fulfill them through any longer. 

If this is in fact the case i'd suggest allowing the removal of the unfulfilled tag (after all there are also no items that should be marked as unfulfilled). It's a messy and lazy omission. And offers nothing to "book keeping" accurate or not.

If order cancelled/refunded before shipping - Remove items and also remove "unfulfilled" tag for items. Close and archive order.

If order partially shipped with some items cancelled/refunded - Remove items and also remove "unfulfilled" tag for items. Archive order.

In actuality though this is the correct status for the order unless you are still planning on sending the product out even if it was refunded/canceled. 

"Unfulfilled" can't be considered the correct status of an order that has been cancelled or refunded before shipping. because at that stage there is no payment, therefore no shipping intent. 

Even if the "unfulfilled" tag has to remain the affected orders should at least be closed.

For example I currently have 27 unfulfilled orders.. My dashboard tells me there are 33... 6 orders are cancelled but remain "open"

Aesthetics are secondary here, it should be easier to hide/remove cancelled or refunded orders.

D

Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
350 69 70

Thank you for following up on this @darrenmillar

I appreciate your additional feedback about the unfulfilled tag and how you would like these orders to be managed within the admin. I want to let you know that I have provided this feedback to our developers on your behalf for consideration! We are always trying to improve our platform, and feedback from merchants like yourself is always appreciated. 

Right now, every order in your orders list must have a fulfillment status, and there is not an option for a blank/empty fulfillment status for the items/order. If the order is not fulfilled, because it is a cancelled order, for inventory management and tracking purposes it would be considered unfulfilled. 

You noted that you have "open" orders in your admin that you weren't able to remove and I wanted to see if I can help with that. When I review the orders in my own test store, this is what I see:

28-29-37164-14198

Order numbers that are greyed out (#1060, #1060) are archived orders and once archived they do not count to the noted unfulfilled orders in the tab highlighted in my screenshot (Unfulfilled - 21). Even if an order has an unfulfilled, or partially fulfilled, status the order can be archived and the metrics for that are removed from the open orders. 

Are you able to share a screenshot (hiding sensitive details) of where you are seeing open unfulfilled orders that you would like to close out? I'd be happy to troubleshoot that with you.

-Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes