Why can't I change the item weight in Shopify for certain products?

Crawacken
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi.
For some reason, I can't change the item weight of stuff like shirts. Vinyls and CDs are no problem, but the entire option just isn't there on shirt products, and it's doing my head in. There's nothing on Shopify's so-called Help Center and getting through to an actual human being that works at Shopify seems to be almost Kafkaesque impossible. 

I hope there is someone out there that can help me, or at least explain to me, what I'm doing wrong/overlooking. Thanks. 

Replies 3 (3)

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Hi, @Crawacken!

I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble getting in contact with our support team. If you weren’t sure how to navigate our help centre, I’ve made a quick video here to show you how

With regards to the weight of your products, could you share a screenshot of the admin section where the weight shows for your shirt products? You should be able to add a weight, so I'd like to check out whats going on there in more detail!

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Crawacken
Visitor
2 0 0

I think it's a little alarming that you need a video to show people how to contact you haha. I just kept going in circles and being directed to the main Help Center page. Anyway..

The whole issue is that I don't know how to adjust the weight of the shirts. I may have forgotten if there's a central manager for that type of product, but I feel like I've searched all logical places for it. It's not possible to adjust on each individual shirt products either. 

Hope you can help. 

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Not to worry, @Crawacken, I'm sure I can point you in the right direction here! 

If your product has no variants/options, you can change the weight by going to the product itself in the admin (Under Products > select product), and scroll to the Shipping settings. Here you can change the weight, as the weight can determine the shipping cost depending on how you have your rates set up

21-38-46452-22006

If you have a product that has multiple options or variants, you can edit all products at the same time using the bulk editor. To do this, you can select all variants and click Open Bulk Editor:

21-47-76932-44098

This will allow you to edit the weight on all variants at once! Product weight would not come up automatically here as an option, but you can add it in as a field for editing. Click on Add Fields to see the full range of items you can edit. Weight will be under the Shipping section:

Ava_0-1634817682365.png

From there, once you click on Weight a column will be added where you can see the current weights of the products. You can edit from here!

21-02-79548-24541

Do let me know how you get on here, just so I can be certain you were able to make the changes you want.

If you are still having trouble editing the product weights, could you show me some screenshots of what you are seeing when you try to change the weights? I can get more context on how to resolve the issue this way! 

Also for the Help Centre, I can appreciate how that could be difficult to navigate if you're not sure how to use it, but I'm hoping the video could clear up the steps you can take to get the support you need! The Help Centre is intended to be a self-service tool, so sometimes you can find the help you need via our help docs and guides before you need to reach out to our team directly.

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog