Linking SKUs to reflect Inventory levels

CMNDcrew
Visitor
2 0 1

Im trying to list the same product twice just to showcase different colours. However, if a customer clicks on one listing it wont update the inventory even though the same SKU was sold.

I'll try put it into an example and word it as good as I can.

Product Name: Hero Pants
Hero Pants come in Black & Grey.
Hero Pants also come in Size S, M & L.

All Hero Pants that are Black and Size S have the same SKU
All Hero Pants that are Black and Size M have the same SKU
All Hero Pants that are Black and Size L have the same SKU
All Hero Pants that are Grey and Size S have the same SKU
All Hero Pants that are Grey and Size M have the same SKU
All Hero Pants that are Grey and Size L have the same SKU

I have duplicated the Hero Pants to reflect the same SKUs, Images, Quantity and so on. 

So technically, I have 2 Products just so I can show the different colours on the Collections page. Both have exactly the same SKUs but if a customer was to click on 1 of them and buy it, it doesn't update the inventory for the products that have the same SKUs on the other listing. If you have worked this out PLEASE LET ME KNOW! it's driving me insane! 

I don't get how this is not a shopify feature!

Replies 3 (3)

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I think your issue is your definition of a SKU.

If you have:

Hero Pants>Grey>Small

Hero Pants>Grey>Medium

Hero Pants>Grey>Large

Hero Pants>Black>Small

Hero Pants>Black>Medium

Hero Pants>Black>Large

Each one of the above is a physical product, therefore each of them should have its own unique SKU. So, given your example you don't 'technically have 2 products' you have 6. If you want to show them as '2' products on your Collections page. Then instead of making the Hero Pants the parent product and all the color & size options as variants, you would make Hero Pants Black a parent product with the sizes as the variants and Hero Pants Grey as a parent product with the sizes as the variants. Hope that makes sense.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution

Owner of Neuralcandy Shopify Agency

ProfitLabs
Shopify Partner
118 5 15

Hi @CMNDcrew ,

I understand your situation here. You need a connected product i.e 2 or more products on shopify but same SKU underneath, right? To sync inventory for these products , there is no native functionality in shopify. We as a merchant also faced the same issue. For which our inhouse team has developed a modern clean way to handle this through an app : Profit Bundles. What you need to do is go to the app select your product then just add the other products to it, it's that simple. Whenever someone buys your product inventory is deducted as per composition rules. Also Multi-location inventory is supported if that is your concern.

Cheers!

Abhinav | Shopify Partner
- If helpful, please Like and Accept Solution.
- Creator of Sync Inventory - GoGo - Sync Inventory Across Multiple or Single Shopify Store .
- Creator of Profit Bundles - Sell Omni Sales Channel Bundles that you can fulfill yourself or even by a 3PL or Dropshipper.

adam_bn
Shopify Partner
79 4 16

You might find Stocklink useful - it's a fairly simple app that allows you to trigger inventory updates based on orders. 

Check it out, you might be able to solve your problem: https://apps.shopify.com/stocklink