Lots of product photos url's are showing up 404 on my google webmaster ?

shadi1
Explorer
73 1 47

Hi everyone

Few weeks ago i noticed my product photo url started to show up 404 on google webmaster. Everything is working great on my site there are no errors with the product photos, but somehow google is finding a version of the product photo url  thats not there, I have a lot of these showing up on my not found google report.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 140750.jpg

I could redirect these all to the proper product photo url. But more are coming up .

Is anyone else having this issue?

Replies 3 (3)

azamgill
Shopify Partner
314 46 68

Hey @shadi1 ,

It sounds like Google's crawlers are encountering URLs for your product photos that no longer exist or are incorrect, resulting in 404 errors in your Google Webmaster (now known as Google Search Console) reports. This discrepancy, despite the photos working fine on your site, suggests a few potential issues:

1. Old URLs Still Indexed: Google might have indexed older versions of your URLs that are no longer valid. This can happen if the structure of your URLs changed after an update or modification.

2. Temporary Connectivity Issues: Sometimes, temporary server or connectivity issues can cause Google to register a 404 error, even if the link is generally working fine.

3. Incorrect Links in Sitemap: If your sitemap contains outdated or incorrect URLs, Google might try to crawl these and end up with 404 errors.

4. URL Parameters or Modifications: Sometimes URL parameters or slight modifications can create different versions of a URL. Ensure that all variations are correctly redirected or handled.

Steps to Resolve:

1. Review the Sitemap: Ensure your sitemap is up-to-date and doesn't contain any old or incorrect URLs. If you're using WordPress, plugins like Yoast SEO can automatically update your sitemap.

2. Check for Broken Links: Use tools like Google Search Console or third-party services to check for broken links on your site.

3. 301 Redirects: If the structure of your URLs has changed, make sure to implement 301 redirects from the old URLs to the new ones. This tells Google that the content has moved permanently.

4. Resubmit Your Sitemap: After making changes, resubmit your sitemap to Google Search Console. This can help speed up the re-crawling process.

5. Monitor Google Search Console: Keep an eye on the 404 errors in the Search Console. If they continue to appear for URLs that are definitely not on your site, you may need to investigate further for potential issues like dynamic URL generation.

6. Check Internal and External Links: Ensure that all internal links and backlinks from other sites are updated to reflect the current URL structure.

Azam Gill
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- Encourage me ❤️

Come and visit us at Wbify

zub786000
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there,

I can relate to your frustration! I've been facing a similar issue on my store. I've made several attempts to resolve it, but unfortunately, I haven't had much success either.

Have you tried any specific troubleshooting steps or reached out to Google Support for assistance? I'm considering exploring some other avenues to get this sorted out, but it would be great to exchange ideas or experiences with someone who's going through the same thing.

Let me know if you've found any solutions or if you'd like to brainstorm together on this issue.

shadi1
Explorer
73 1 47

Yeah i had someone look into it and it seems in my case those url's are being generated by yotpo. I informed yotpo of the issue and there working on it now. So if your using yotpo ask them about this.