Solved

Why is my conversion rate low on my ecommerce site?

KawaiiTreasure
Visitor
2 0 0

Heey, I am wondering if there is something up with the checking out or my website:

Added to cart

32 sessions

Reached checkout

13 sessions

Sessions converted

3 sessions

Seems that people are adding items but not reaching the checkout and for checkout not converting it in sales. Am i missing something? or is this a known problem within shopify? kawaiitreasure.com

Accepted Solution (1)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2451 226 522

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @KawaiiTreasure,

Thank you for getting in touch. I would highly recommend checking out an article on our blog that speaks about Conversation Rate Optimization and recommends how better to improve this aspect of your store. It is of course vital to try and convert your site visitors into customers and there are numerous ways to attempt this which is covered in the article. The blog post also touches on what sort of conversation rate would be considered strong:

What’s a good conversion rate for your store? The latest surveys and studies show the average conversion rate for ecommerce sites is 2.86%. As a new store owner, a good goal to aim for is between 1% and 2%.

I can't calculate your conversion rate without knowing your total site visits, but if you received 3 orders from around 105 visits to the site, you'd be around this 2.86% average cited above. If you received many more visits then there'd certainly be room to try and improve the number of conversions you're getting.

The article goes into plenty of detail on how to test your site and try and learn the behaviour of your customers, but as a general piece of advice I would recommend browsing through your site and proceeding to the checkout while looking for any obstacles that may discourage customers from checking out. If you view your site from the perspective of a customer, you are more likely to spot reasons for not buying something or leaving the website entirely. I would recommend providing plenty of information beforehand about shipping prices and policies, for example, as uncertainty about the cost of shipping or how long it will take for the customer to receive their order can result in them abandoning their cart before getting to checkout. 

I hope this has helped but please let me know if you've any questions. 

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Roldham93
Tourist
4 0 1

This is pretty common for most ecomm websites. Are you utilizing MailChimp or Klaviyo to get these people back to your store with abandoned cart and browse abandonment emails?

You can also add an upsell app in the cart to try and help with conversions, or specific CTA's that drive them to purchase.

KawaiiTreasure
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for the reaction. I do indeed use abondened checkout emails. UpSell is probably something i didnt consider yet. Thanks for the Feedback

Victor
Shopify Staff
2451 226 522

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @KawaiiTreasure,

Thank you for getting in touch. I would highly recommend checking out an article on our blog that speaks about Conversation Rate Optimization and recommends how better to improve this aspect of your store. It is of course vital to try and convert your site visitors into customers and there are numerous ways to attempt this which is covered in the article. The blog post also touches on what sort of conversation rate would be considered strong:

What’s a good conversion rate for your store? The latest surveys and studies show the average conversion rate for ecommerce sites is 2.86%. As a new store owner, a good goal to aim for is between 1% and 2%.

I can't calculate your conversion rate without knowing your total site visits, but if you received 3 orders from around 105 visits to the site, you'd be around this 2.86% average cited above. If you received many more visits then there'd certainly be room to try and improve the number of conversions you're getting.

The article goes into plenty of detail on how to test your site and try and learn the behaviour of your customers, but as a general piece of advice I would recommend browsing through your site and proceeding to the checkout while looking for any obstacles that may discourage customers from checking out. If you view your site from the perspective of a customer, you are more likely to spot reasons for not buying something or leaving the website entirely. I would recommend providing plenty of information beforehand about shipping prices and policies, for example, as uncertainty about the cost of shipping or how long it will take for the customer to receive their order can result in them abandoning their cart before getting to checkout. 

I hope this has helped but please let me know if you've any questions. 

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Edward-Newgate
Shopify Partner
570 22 61

Hi @KawaiiTreasure 

This issue is quite common with online stores, there are some reasons for this. To make sure what is the problem, you should check your store again. By the way, I'd like to recommend you have a look at this post: How to Optimize Conversion Rate for Shopify Stores?.

Hope it helps!

Was my reply helpful? Click Like or Mark it as an Accepted Solution to let me know!

VanhishikhaB
Shopify Partner
39 0 2

There are a number of reasons why online stores experience low conversion rates; at best, most see an average conversion rate of about 2%. 

Apart from the obvious interface related issues, I would also recommend looking into customer journeys; right from when they land on your website to at what moment they add the products, to the point of conversion. This is also known as customer journey mapping and customer analytics; it gives you insight into shopper behavior. 

Post which, you need to look at personalizing their experiences at each of the stages. We wrote a blog about it recently on our blog. You can read it here to get detailed insights and actionables to improve your conversion rate. 

Vanhishikha Bhargava