Merge Customers

makers18
Excursionist
16 0 111

Has there been any updates or progress on the ability to MERGE CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS that are duplicates?  We have a ton and we basically began online sales in early March.  This is really needed to keep up with past orders and preferences.  We also offer rewards for our repeat customers and this system has really made tracking sales difficult.  

Replies 172 (172)
Kevin_Hartman
Tourist
7 0 22

Sadly this has never been a feature.  I have been requesting this for 11 years now, so dont get your hopes up.  Techs will enlighten you to the joys of exporting an excel file to alter on your own and then delete all your customer info and reupload the fixed excel file.... yeah like I would ever risk doing something that stupid and then again when it's time to clean up once more... no thanks. 

Rich_Hamilton
Excursionist
19 0 87

I have talked to a independent developer who is going to try and create a custom app to address this...it remains to be seen if that will come to fruition or not though. I feel pretty confident Shopify will do nothing about it. Pretty disappointing really.

makers18
Excursionist
16 0 111
Oh wow. That is horrible. I don’t understand why it isn’t a basic feature.
makers18
Excursionist
16 0 111
Not a word unfortunately.
makers18
Excursionist
16 0 111
Agree. It is really something that should be a basic function. Even if we had to do it manually, I wouldn’t mind.
george_d
Tourist
6 0 9
I would love to hear the result of that conversation. I would happily buy that extension. It’s ridiculous that we don’t have that feature directly from Shopify. I have requested it a few times from techs and supervisors.
Just one of the reasons I wish I would have gone with a different platform years ago.

LaFlamencadeBgn
Tourist
3 0 1

I need this function too.

mnearents
Excursionist
39 3 18

This is a feature Shopify desperately needs. The biggest reason for us:

1. Forgot they had an account because of time between purchases, used a different email on subsequent orders. 

Second biggest reason:

2. We imported a ton of customers from when we weren't on Shopify. That data was old and by the time we relaunched our shop, so many people had lost access to the old emails and were using new ones, and they couldn't remember having used the old ones. 

From a UX perspective, you can never expect customers to remember which email they used for purchases. We have thousands of duplicate accounts with orders on both accounts so that we can't simply delete one of the accounts. It's super important for us to have a single source of truth for each customer.

eatpye
Tourist
3 0 4

Yes, this should be a high priority! Just to clarify, it's not an "account" that causes a duplicate customer record and there are many ways 

in which it can happen that have already been outlined by other users. In addition to customer loyalty, this is critical for marketing segmentation.

As an example, we use Klaviyo for it robust features and how well it can work with Shopify. Oftentimes, the key functionality is targeting specific email messaging

to customers based on their past behavior such as products purchased, LTV, number of purchases, etc. I could go on and on. For example, I would like to use Klaviyo

to target a segment of customers that used to be frequent purchasers but fell off. If my messaging was asking why they stopped buying from us or offers an incentive to come back, while they are actually still purchasing but with a different email address or phone number, that's a problem. So, now because I see that this would happen a lot, 

I am hesitant to proceed with my marketing because I don't know how to filter this out. So, firstly, I need to figure out the best way to merge customer records and Shopify

needs to be able to identify when a customer is creating a duplicate customer record and prompt them to update the old record with the new email or phone number or whatever to prevent

duplicates going forward. That would be slick. The merging part is old tech. I used to merge customers in Magento over a decade ago. Thanks for listening. Caleb

eatpye
Tourist
3 0 4

Did you see where someone mentioned that they had a merge option?