Solved

Can you apply multiple discounts at checkout on Shopify?

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)

JaniceBanks
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

Are there any updates? I would really like multiple discounts codes to be allowed to apply at checkouts.. or a able to offer a discount or a free shipping at the same time to customers... Please send us some feedback on this please.

MaryKRC
Tourist
3 0 4

I know that this is marked as solved, but it really isn't.  When will this be available on Shopify?  Even if we could do a discount & free shipping, it would make a lot of users happy.

donnamac
Trailblazer
243 5 194

You're right.  It's marked as solved I think because several shop owners have come up with work-arounds that work for them. 
If you are up to looking through 50 pages, you may find something you can use with your shop.
Obviously, they will NOT address this.  So, it would be nice if they would put a disclaimer or something at the top of this request
to save people the effort of asking.  So frustrating to see continuous requests asking for a solution, when it won't happen.

I feel for us all

clamify
Shopify Partner
18 2 7

So are people working around this now?
I'm a developer that recently worked with some friends that are shop owners on an app to help with a similar problem stacking discount codes.

If anyone want to try it out or partner together, send me a message!

trs-roxanna
Excursionist
10 0 15

Add my vote for this feature to be developed/added.

OceansAlive
Tourist
3 0 8

+1 vote too, although I'm not expecting this to result in anything.

The other feature request thread for merging customer accounts is like 7 years old and Shopify have still not even acknowledged it as being a desired feature, so this one still has 5+ years to go to get to that stage!

lpscleay
Excursionist
16 0 17

So I have a collection that I'd like to apply a 20% discount to, and another that I'd like to apply a 40% discount to. You'd think this would be basic, core e-com platform functionality, but apparently not.

An hour of shopify plus support on this issue this time last year, and another hour just now, have gotten me nowhere.

— automatic discounts do not display pricing (because why would a customer need to know that prior going to the cart?!).
— you can't apply more that one automatic discount at a time anyway (because who would ever need more than one discount rate?!)
— you CAN however use per-product discounts, by manually copying the RRP to the compare-to price and then calculating / entering the 20%/40% off price (because that's quick and convenient).
— BUT our ERP sync will override the new price almost immediately, so we'll have to disable that for these products first.

And apparently this has been normal and accepted for YEARS now (and despite the green 'Solved!' banner — it's certainly not solved)...

MagClothNZ
Tourist
4 0 1

Add us to the list of wanting the feature also!!  Not being able to run concurrent automatic discounts is a total pain, it limits the sale options quite a lot. 

lpscleay
Excursionist
16 0 17

OK, in case anyone wants to know my eventual solution:

1. I added a shopify checkout script (plus accounts only I think) to apply a discount based on a customer tag. I included a check in the script to exclude products tagged with 'excldiscount'.
2. I edited all instances of the displayed price to show the correct price and sale price based on the customer tag.

1. Checkout script:

DISCOUNTS_BY_TAG = { #array of discounts
"discount30" => 30,
"discount40" => 40,
"discount50" => 50,
}

customer = Input.cart.customer

if customer #checks to see if user is logged in
  DISCOUNTS_BY_TAG.each_pair do |tag, discount| #cycle through the above array of tags
    if customer.tags.include?(tag) #pairs the customer's discount level from the above array of tags
      discount = #{discount}
      Input.cart.line_items.each do |line_item|
        unless line_item.variant.product.tags.include?('excldiscount')
          line_item.change_line_price(
              line_item.line_price * (Decimal.new(1) - discount / 100),
          )
        end
      end
    end
  end
end

Output.cart = Input.cart

2. Price liquid (roughly):

{% if customer.tags contains 'discount30' %}
      {% assign sale_price = price | times: 0.7 | round %}
    {% elsif customer.tags contains 'discount40' %}
      {% assign sale_price = price | times: 0.6 | round %}
    {% elsif customer.tags contains 'discount50' %}
      {% assign sale_price = price | times: 0.5 | round %}
    {% endif %} 
      <div class="prices">
        <span class="new-price">{{ sale_price | money }}</span>
        <span class="old-price">{{ price | money }}</span>
      </div>

Mad that it takes this, but it seems to work — all logged-in customers tagged with 'discount30' etc... can see pricing and are charged correctly.

anINKling
Tourist
3 0 2

Please add me to the list too. This is very frustrating and really need this option.

MarcosGarcia
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi!

this looks interesting, but as you said, it's only for customer tags so you need to have the database and assign tags by customers.

how would you make it work if you just want the new customers to apply 1 discount (code driven) to one collection and another discount to another collection (automatic without code)

Something like potatoes going for 30% with a code POTATO30 and then 35% off apples, with an automatic discount.

To a certain extent, I understand the fact that they only allow 1 code at the basket, as this is safer, but we should be able to stack or select different discounts by categories and the option to make them exclusive or overridden within each other (for instance free delivery to stack on other discounts)

I'm coming from a big e-commerce company with our own special offer section and I CAN'T BELIEVE Shopify does not have a multi-collection discount option, this is BASIC, and this thread has been open for years. The product team does not really hear much about what's requested.

@Trevor 

Kevin_Wells
Excursionist
14 0 21

Please give us the option!

MarkMusgrave
Tourist
4 0 9

I did indeed read them indeed, the shopify statement was asking for user
cases to support adding this feature so I thought i'd add my pennies worth
to hopefully encourage 

Mostafa_Kamel
Shopify Partner
22 0 7

Hello,

I think until Shopify natively implements that into discounts, You can use an app to do so - Try looking at DiscountYard app, It does exactly what you are looking for. 

It allows customers to add one or more discount codes at one order from cart - Also you can run multiple automatic promotions at once by applying discount codes automatically to customer's cart (Tiered automatic discounts as well).

Thanks 

MarkMusgrave
Tourist
4 0 9
Ace thank you. I'm just configuring the DiscountYard app at the minute,
their customer service seems great and rapid so far Just waiting to hear
back on how to remove the "Gift cards or discount" field from the standard
Shopify checkout page because otherwise it's quite confusing and the sme
problem exists if the customer doesn't happen to see the coupon field in
the basket and tries to add it at checkout. Hopefully they'll be able to
help me 🙂
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@MarkMusgrave 

The "Gift card or discount" can be changed in a themes translations for checkout;  there are 3 locale strings the Title, the label and a placeholder. Use the target themes id in the url below to see them quickly for most shopify made themes.

shopify.com/admin/themes/{{THEME.ID}}/language?query=Gift%20card%20or%20discount

Other than that was the app you tried able to bridge the gap in the way your business needed while the feature is missing natively? 

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

We DESPERATELY need stacked discounts. About 50% of our customers are “members” who get automatic discounts on all products. If we want to have a sale or offer them a bigger discount  for buying multi items we have to do it manually. We are currently trying to collect SMS consent by offering $5 off an order for joining our text list and can’t give it to our members. It’s truly unfathomable that this is not possible. If I had know before we got shopify set up we would have used a different platform. We are considering changing to get this capability  

Shopporium
Tourist
5 1 2

This feature is massive important and the fact that you are forced to use very expensive apps to make this possible is very lacking from Shopify.

I feel Shopify is less and less a valid option for start ups, since you need apps for so many features that you eventually hit a huge monthly pricetag!

I had to include conditions in my store, so that customers dont complain too much about not being able to apply both!  And I had to use 2 seperat Abandoned cart flows, just because of not being able to offer a discount, if a store wide sale is happening.. And putting prices down seperate, is quite the task when u have 20k products and they are auto imported, so prices can reset.

I favor this being a built in feature for sure!

sherman123
Excursionist
11 0 9

I don't even understand how this is not available yet. Other e-commerce platforms have it!!! I waste full 8 hr days downloading apps that require additional coding, or don't work, they ruin my site upon deleting, and leave coding behind and mess up the functionality of my site, and make it slow. This is completely unacceptable. Sometimes you have to wait days to hear back from the app developer, or sometimes you don't hear back, then you end up spending more money to hire a website developer to delete all the coding that was left behind, just so you can go back to square one and have your shop running properly. Completely exhausted from this, as we've been fighting for this feature for years.

Mostafa_Kamel
Shopify Partner
22 0 7

Hi @sherman123,

Please feel free to try DiscountYard app, and our team will help you integrate the app to your theme and ensure it is working at expected.

Also, we don't make any code changes to your theme and there is no leftover code at all if you decided to uninstall the app.

App link: https://apps.shopify.com/coupon-stacker

Thanks

mister-t
Visitor
1 0 2

I want to add my vote to this. I find it incredible this isn't possible.  I have an automatic discount that applies (and can't be removed) when you buy an item in bulk.  I want to provide my friends with another discount code that applies to the entire order - and it doesn't work!  Add this limitation to the fact you can't create bulk buy products that understand how to subtract each item off the inventory and you have a very frustrating experience.  And I'm not interested in buying third party add-ons to get around limitations I discovered literally within hours of signing up.  These are incredibly basic requirements that are missing and already have me looking at alternatives.

clamify
Shopify Partner
18 2 7

Hey all,

I was following this thread a while back, built an app, and forgot to come back and reply.

We heard from friends who were store owners about this pain point and build a solution.

If anyone's still looking for a way to combine multiple discounts, please check out: https://apps.shopify.com/discount-mixer

I hope we're able to help out your business.

It's not perfect since apps have limitations, but we're actively improving and doing our best.

We would greatly appreciate any feedback to better serve your needs.

If the app's free trial isn't sufficient or if the price is too steep, let me know and we can try to work something out.

Thanks again for reading this!

Cheers

wineskipping
Tourist
3 0 3

I would also like the ability to stack discount codes! My site, wineskipping.com, offers

1) wine subscription/membership, 

2) coravin products (i'm a reseller and they drop-ship from their warehouse), 

3) discounted pickup and delivery options to locals. 

Because I'm a subscription, I cannot use the "free pickup" checkout option (it's also a violation of my states alcohol laws) as Shopify's "free pickup" breaks the ReCharge app integration (Shopify bug). 

In addition, I'd like to offer my club members a special discount on wines and a different discount on Coravin. 

Hence a single order may have wine at a 20% discount, Coravin at a 10% discount and local pickup. I'm unable to support that on Shopify for my club members and believe I'm loosing sales as a result. 

Nortski
Shopify Partner
20 0 5

Do we have any latest information on this? The lack concurrent multiple automatic discounts feature is the only thing preventing me from going ahead and migrating to this platform. 

EarthBerry
Tourist
7 0 2
Actually, I've gotten used to it this way and really like it now. It makes
flash sales easier. And you can get creative with coupon codes.
Nortski
Shopify Partner
20 0 5

I need to be able to implement price tiering which is not possible without being able to apply multiple automatic discounts on the same product at the same time.

Darius90
Shopify Partner
34 0 9

GOOD NEWS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! At last in Shopify, we can combine multiple discounts!

Darius90_0-1655978509112.png

https://www.shopify.ie/editions/summer2022?utm_content=editions_merchants_en&utm_medium=admin-modal&...

llopes85
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Darius, just taking a look at the product updates. I am not finding a way to replicate this on my shopify. Did you managed to create one? 

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

Yup - after 3.5 years and dozens of pages in this thread, this feature is finally coming! Expect this to roll out likely within the following 7 days

bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

To quote Lizzo "it's about damn time!" 🤗 👏 🎉

LizzieS
Visitor
3 0 0

Except that you still won't be able to stack discounts on products so far as I can see, so no way to get an automatic discount for eg min quantity  to work alongside a VIP

discount code, for example ?

Derek_Morin
Shopify Expert
216 1 34

Is it already available? In dev stores? Live stores?

bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

Rolling out over the next week or so.

Alice_O_Connell
Tourist
8 0 6
FINALLY!!!!
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

For discussion I've created an overview post of the early access feature in the new editions board with a breakdown and links , also in my signature for easy access 😉

https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-editions/combinable-discounts-early-access-only-free-shippin... 

@llopes85@Derek_Morin The feature is in early access so not all stores have been updated yet.

@LizzieS manual indicates the ability to join product discounts with other product discounts

@Nortski this looks to be on all plans, unlike checkout-script which let merchant create discount logic only on Plus stores

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Hey, everyone!

Thank you @Darius90 for highlighting the very exciting news about Discount Combinations! I can confirm this feature is in the works and will be rolled out to all eligible merchants in the near future.

While I can't provide an exact date this will be available, I will be sure to follow up as soon as I have further information to share! 

You can view more information by reviewing our announcement and Help Center article

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Nortski
Shopify Partner
20 0 5

"available merchants"
I hope this doesn't mean just Shopify Plus merchants.

LucasMiller94
Tourist
6 0 5

Hi Trevor, Do you know whether this has been rolled out yet? I cannot seem to find anything related to it.

wineskipping
Tourist
3 0 3

I'd like to know as well. I've tried to enable combinations and there is no option on my site yet. I'm so excited I want to email subscribers and let them know but WHEN CAN THEY USE THIS!?!??!??!

LAMBERTONES
Excursionist
24 0 7

Hi Trevor, our store is patiently waiting for this feature to be activated. Is there a timeline for us? Thanks

Alice_O_Connell
Tourist
8 0 6

Any news on when this will include stores in The Netherlands? Still no sign of it here...

ShaidaE
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Will this feature be free for basic Shopify accounts? and do we have an ETA?

EtienneRichard
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Trevor,

Please add my vote for this feature, the inability for multiple discount codes to be applied at the same time is very limiting and preventing us to implement strategies to boost average cart value in our store. 
Thanks!

Renn
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I'm trying to actually stop the stacking of my discount codes on my website. According to Shopify we're unable to do this. Now only offer stackable codes. 

captainknotts
Shopify Partner
21 1 3

its not available yet

Happiness
Shopify Partner
20 0 15

Still waiting.. Any news?

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

It’s available for Non-Plus stores and Plus Sandbox stores. It’s not yet rolled out for Plus stores (I read about conflicts with Shopify Scripts). I would expect this to be rolled out by the end of September for Plus stores

Note: even with these new combined discounts, you cannot have 2 product discounts on the same product. What it does offer is combining an automated discount with a discount code of a different type. If two discounts conflict, automatically the higher discount is applied.

Happiness
Shopify Partner
20 0 15

It's not rolled out for all non-plus stores. According to the message in the official documentation it works only for some certain merchants. In which way these merchants were chosen - nobody knows...

JessicaBulldog
Tourist
5 0 5

I have it now. Shopify plan. Canada. 

ShaidaE
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hello Trevor,

I can see the discount combinations on one of my client's Shopify, but the problem is not solved as mentioned before. Sure you can combine discounts, but it still chooses the best discount and it doesn't combine both of the discounts together, "If there are active automatic discounts on your store, and a customer also uses discount codes, then the best discount or combination of discounts is automatically applied to the customer's cart. Whether the discount is automatic or it's a code, the best discount for the customer is always selected." We wanted to have multiple discounts together. In my client's case he has a 15% discount for all the products already and whenever he wants to have a sale, he wants to put a discount on a certain collection and he wants the users to benefit both from the 15% and the new specific discount for the specific collection, but when combining these two, Shopify selects only the best one. What about the option of having multiple discounts stacked on top of each other?