Solved

Can you apply multiple discounts at checkout on Shopify?

TrendX
Tourist
12 0 35

Hello, I am having an issue here. I have a promotion running on automatic discount (its 10% off every 2nd product) and I definitely want to keep this promotion (like forever). Besides that I give my customers various discount codes, but when they go to checkout, they get an error messages that they cannot apply more than one discount.  In automatic discount it says that it can't combine with other discounts - but there is nowhere to change this setting. So my question is - where and how do I change this setting? 

Thanks a lot! 🙂 

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please feel welcome to create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 609 (609)
Daniel808
Explorer
60 2 22

The fact it works on shopify plus is further confirmation that it can be implemented easily, they just choose not to.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

The fact it works on shopify plus is further confirmation that it can be implemented easily, they just choose not to.

What ShopifyPlus offer is not the same as the discount stacking being discussed here.

Plus provides premium features one of which is the ability to run line-item-scripts affecting prices&discounts during the checkout process which is completely different from a general purpose solution for stacking discounts.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

You're telling me Shopify can't do in 8 years what this app has achieved? Come on.. 

"Can't do" it's not a reverse psychology challenge, a platform with over a million merchants has to priortize for everyone not just what some think is important and fixate on, with the biggest example being order editing which took almost a decade as big features are want to and "everyone" thought that was important for just as long.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Daniel808
Explorer
60 2 22

@PaulNewton 

Honestly the only thing you are convincing me of here is that Shopify are either A) incompetent or B) Majorly understaffed. Neither fill me with confidence.  

Nutracelle
Tourist
5 0 4

Signed. 

Thanks for doing this. 

Sushant
Shopify Partner
62 2 15

This is now possible using Shopify Functions.

Using an app which is built using Shopify Functions, stores can now create multiple automatic discounts. 

We have created an app using Shopify Functions, called Every Possible Discount

You can create Tiered Discounts(quantity based discounts)

Buy X Get Y

Buy X for Y$

and other miscellaneos conditional discounts.

Any Likes and Accept as Solutions are greatly appreciated✌ Having trouble? Hire us! https://seventhtriangle.com/
Judy1
Visitor
1 0 26

I also want to vote for adding multiple/stacked automatic discounts. I currently have some specials on one of my ranges that includes buying a bundle of products for a set price, a few buy x get y free or buy 6 for the price of 5 (on different products), and a spend X get product Y for only Z. Because it affects different products, I need to be able to create the promotions as automatic promotions rather than setting up multiple coupon codes and letting my customer place multiple orders instead of 1 order.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @Judy1!

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback! I've gone ahead and added your name to our existing feature request so that our product teams know there is further interest in getting this feature added. In the meantime, you could look into using one of the tiered pricing apps as they should help with getting this setup for your business. 

vbPLUS
Tourist
3 0 65

You should really push to have this implemented.

Every store offers multiple discounts during a month. BXGX, % OFF, etc. Not having this option hurts our businesses.

You can add mine and every other shopify client to your list of wanting this, but this IS a needed feature for many accounts to properly function.

Thank you,

Dan

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @vbPLUS!

I appreciate you voicing your feedback on this. If I had a magic wand to get this implemented, I would, however, the best thing I can do is add your vote to the existing feature request. While I can't provide timelines on the feature request, I can say that our teams review these requests daily, to see how implementing this would affect other areas of the platform, and what resources we'll need to get this created. Hopefully, this is something we can launch in the near future to better assist you and all other merchants that require these discount features. 

dave41
Tourist
7 0 14

It would be great if multiple discounts can be implemented.

I want to create a discount code for products when we attend an industry event. Then offer free shipping as well to have the consumer come to our facility to pick it up. 

tarabalcom
Tourist
3 0 38

I also find it odd and a little disappointing that Shopify won't allow customers to stack discounts - as most online retailers I use do. If I want to allow all my email subscribers to use a free shipping code, but then I have a rewards program where they are earning % or $ off their future purchases, it does them no use to earn them if they will have to pay for shipping when they go to use their discount codes. You can "add me to the list" of people who need to allow multiple discounts.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @dave41 & @tarabalcom!

No news on this front yet I'm afraid, however, I can absolutely get your feedback added to our existing feature request. We have received a large volume of requests for this feature which does allow for it to become a possibility sooner. That said, these type of features can take some time to create, test, and fully launch so as soon as we have further information on this then we'll be sure to get our Announcement page updated. 

vbPLUS
Tourist
3 0 65

these are the same brush off answers that have been given for years, any google search will show that.

Even the automated discount section does not include the amount of options that the discount code section has.

This is nothing more then Shopify placing their customers (us) in a position to have to pay extra, unneeded fees for their affiliate store apps or techs! How many of your "affiliate partners" popped in here offering discount apps built specifically for Shopify?

since there's "no news from the front", the easiest question to ask is: Why can we hire one of your Shopify techs to build a custom app, or we can pay monthly for one of the Shopify store apps but Shopify, which is a making a killing off of our businesses, cannot use one of their own techs to build a direct patch?

Again, the answer is above! This is nothing more then greed and lack of respect for their customers on Shopify's end. Because the program is there and they could easily under a week have the option adjusted and tested. How do I know this: One of our companies has hired one of your techs to build us a custom discount app for our shopify store, which will include unlimited discounts and options for discounts. If your tech can do it for us, then your tech can do if for your internal system 😉

tarabalcom
Tourist
3 0 38

@vbPLUS wrote:

This is nothing more then Shopify placing their customers (us) in a position to have to pay extra, unneeded fees for their affiliate store apps or techs! How many of your "affiliate partners" popped in here offering discount apps built specifically for Shopify?

Again, the answer is above! This is nothing more then greed and lack of respect for their customers on Shopify's end. Because the program is there and they could easily under a week have the option adjusted and tested. How do I know this: One of our companies has hired one of your techs to build us a custom discount app for our shopify store, which will include unlimited discounts and options for discounts. If your tech can do it for us, then your tech can do if for your internal system 😉

Well said @vbPLUS! I am just getting my business online and trying not to be nicked-and-dimed out of business before I even start. Shopify seems like a great option of you have a crazy, active and thriving business that can afford to pay for every little convenience. Good luck if you're just getting started and don't have the capital to throw at simple, "why isn't this a default function?" kind of options. 

Nutracelle
Tourist
5 0 4

This X 1000.

clayw7
Tourist
3 0 11

Well said vbPLUS!  I only have 5 products.  I donate my products to charity events and worthy causes quite often and I don't want to tell them "I'm afraid you need to pay shipping because Shopify refuses to provide a simple fix to a much-requested feature".  Asinine.  What a bunch of greedy, lazy DBs. 

amierz
Visitor
1 0 1

I can't agree with you more.

Mostly, it is a waste of resources, because of that, we have to use apps which contains only a few useful functions to the business. however, the website has to endure the whole app scripts to load. Thus, the performance slow down and down.

aj007
Excursionist
33 0 71

Please add my vote for multiple discounts per order. My reasons are the same as the original post in this thread:

• Forever: Auto discount if purchase >1 product
  • Occasionally: % off discount codes (promos) at various times of the year
Risa
Shopify Partner
327 16 39

Hi there,

App Selly can offer multiple discounts per order.

https://apps.shopify.com/selly

Let's check it out.

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
bedwards59
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi,

Please add our request to have this feature.  We currently have 3 levels of customers (retail, wholesale, distributor).  The different price breaks are enabled by applying automatic discounts to each level of customer.  We need the ability to also offer store wide sales where a coupon code could be applied at the checkout.  We can't currently do this because it is considered a stacking discount.

Thanks,

Bill

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@bedwards59 

Thank you for expressing your feedback and a great use case for why this would benefit you and your business. I've added your feedback, and vote to the exiting ballot. 

Thanks again!

JohanNiche4All
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi, this feature need to be on Shopify. We sell an automated three pack, end then to some customers we want to use an extra discount code. Its really bad tha you guys dont have doscount stacking. If i really looked into it before i wound not gone to Shopify, sry. But this is not good and really uncheck this thread to not solved! 

JohanNiche4All
Tourist
6 0 4

Shopify.PNG

exxeout
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

Looks like there is plenty of interest in this option and has been known for at least 2 years. Is this on the development roadmap or is it still being explored as something Shopify has not decided needs to be done?

HKJ
Trailblazer
145 4 44

@exxeout wrote:

Looks like there is plenty of interest in this option and has been known for at least 2 years. Is this on the development roadmap or is it still being explored as something Shopify has not decided needs to be done?

There are several basic features Shopify hasn't implemented despite being requested for years.

donnamac
Trailblazer
243 5 194

@HKJ 

Correct... seems like Shopify has no intent to do anything about this. 

donnamac
Trailblazer
243 5 194

@exxeout 

Correct... seems like Shopify has no intent to do anything about this. 

DRGROVES
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I agree. We've gone from Wix to Wordpress and now to Shopify. I love the ease of use, but now we want to track our sales - and can't. I believe Wordpress would at least give the option to combine with other offers or not.

We're thinking of different codes and offers for event/ads and social media to see what works best. Is anyone else doing this effectively? Or using apps to solve this since Shopify doesn't seem to want to solve it? And is there one you would recommend? I looked at Discount Ninja and our theme (Woodmart) doesn't support it. So, we need a programmer to go in and add code... and hopefully not break anything.

Mostafa_Kamel
Shopify Partner
22 0 7

Hi @DRGROVES,

Our app solves this issue by allowing you to combine discounts together as well as running multiple automatic discounts at once.

The app supports all themes - also we provide a manual free installation to configure the app to your theme in just a few minutes.

Please feel free to check it and let me know if you have any questions.

https://apps.shopify.com/coupon-stacker

Thanks

MaryKRC
Tourist
3 0 4
$14.95/month is a lot for a feature that should be part of the shopify plan that already charges $300/mo. I think that is the point that is really frustrating.
bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126
For that you would use UTM codes
Inga042876
Tourist
5 0 15
Unavailability of this feature creates real issues with my marketing and it seems like this thread is at least 6 month old, yet we don't have any resolution, not even an ETA.
Can this feature be prioritized?

I really hope
faisal31
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi

Add my vote as well for multiple automatic discounts application. I can really solve our existing problems.

Faisal

swphang
Tourist
4 0 2

My client also request the multiple discount code feature. But shopify doesn't allow to stack the discount code. Hope shopify team can implement this feature as soon as possible as it just a basic feature.

@tarabalcom wrote:

I also find it odd and a little disappointing that Shopify won't allow customers to stack discounts - as most online retailers I use do. If I want to allow all my email subscribers to use a free shipping code, but then I have a rewards program where they are earning % or $ off their future purchases, it does them no use to earn them if they will have to pay for shipping when they go to use their discount codes. You can "add me to the list" of people who need to allow multiple discounts.

Re1
Excursionist
24 0 44

Shopify, could you provide an update on this please?  Is discount stacking on your to do list?  Is it something you do not want to implement?

UpCircle
Visitor
2 0 3
And if discount stacking isn't on your to do list, why not?
Showers_Pass_Sh
Tourist
3 0 7

Ability to apply Stacked / Multiple discounts when needed.

This obviously has not been resolved, Can we get an update from the team responsible for implementing this feature.

Justin71
Visitor
2 0 0

I would also appreciate if there were different wsys of applying various "stackable" discounts. I find it quite disappointing that such a forward thinking group such as Shopify would not have implemented this long ago.. It's not a new concept.

Ravensaxo
Tourist
5 0 1
I know we are having to limit our customers and work around possible sales hooks as the codes cant stack.

Lets hope someone is listening
carlosGH
Tourist
4 0 2

You can use scripts to develop an offer that can be combined with other discount codes. 

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

That’s unfortunately reserved only to Shopify Plus customers

krypto
Tourist
5 0 0

This might work thanks.  Again, still thinking this is basic functionality that should be a click, but I appreciate this work around.  All the best.

Mikapy
Tourist
3 0 1

Any updates?

dolythgoe
Tourist
8 0 5

Hey all,

Just to let you know that after working/thinking on this for some time, we came up with a means to roll-up multiple discounts to be auto applied.

App is Stackable - Multiple Discounts

What we do is allow the creation of discount 'Stacks'. These stacks are used to then calculate savings as the customer shops. When they checkout, a code is dynamically generated with those savings - hence rolling up all the savings as one automated discount. Since it's a generated code, it can be removed by the customer if they have a better code to hand.

Key advantages over Shopify's current automated discount:

- Allows multiple

- Allows notifications of savings in realtime

- Allows removal in checkout if the customer has a better code

It doesn't leave any rubbish behind if you uninstall and can preview it working end-to-end without committing. So it might work well for some of you wanting this. BOGO, BXGY will come a bit later - percent and fixed on collections/all with min requirements are supported, along with competing discount groups (useful for tiers and quantity breaks).

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126
Still an app. We want it natively
dolythgoe
Tourist
8 0 5

Fair enough, I hear you, the app ecosystem can be messy at best. We've been focussed on this problem for some time and actually come from building it for a major pizza brand so thought we could use the same optimisation tech to do combo deals. It's a UX challenge too as stacking multiple discounts raises a few questions on the logic and how you would set them up. If anything, the app ecosystem can at least provide creative ways for Shopify to digest.

dolythgoe
Tourist
8 0 5

Soz the link in my previous post has changed and I can't edit. For those interested in an app alternative.

Correct link Stackable - Multiple Automatic Discounts

LucasMiller94
Tourist
6 0 5

Count my vote too please.

DYNAMIACTIVE
Visitor
1 0 1

COUNT MY VOTE! I’m surprised this has not been implemented yet...