My shopify populate products command cannot run

NguyenBinh
Visitor
1 0 2

My shopify populate products command is not working even though I followed the instructions and checked my store login to my store first.

NguyenBinh_2-1625125630390.png

Replies 23 (23)

satelin2002
Tourist
3 0 2

same here 

shopify populate products
✗ Command not allowed with current login. Please check your login details with shopify whoami. You may need to request additional permissions for this action.

kikeice9
Visitor
2 0 3

I had the same issue, only add your user to the store staff members and it will work.

satelin2002
Tourist
3 0 2

i am already the owner and not letting me add as a staff member.

PLA
Visitor
2 0 4

✗ Command not allowed with current login. Please check your login details with shopify whoami. You may need to request additional permissions for this action.

Same here- 

How to resolve this? shopify whoami 

satelin2002
Tourist
3 0 2

Can someone please take a look

this blocks us from doing the app tutorial

PLA
Visitor
2 0 4

I've managed to resolve this by login out completely. Logged into another test store, and back in the one I am working on.

dannyboy2
Visitor
1 0 0

Getting the same error. shopify whoami indicates I am logged into my development store. Please help.

kikeice9
Visitor
2 0 3

In the store panel, you must have access to it, add your user as a staff member then it should work without any trouble.

mogobanyamwaro
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

First login to your store For example,if your store is "MyCocktailStore.myshopify.com", then login from your terminal as =>shopify login --store=MyCocktailStore

supersweetsites
Visitor
1 0 20

If you just made the dev store and you are the owner, you need to sign in using from the your-store-name.myshopify.com/admin page at least once before the Shopify CLI will work. Best way is to open up the admin login page in an incognito browser and sign in. Then you can sign in using the Shopify CLI and you should be able to use the populate products command.

DanielSaavedra
Visitor
1 0 0

This fixed it for me. Thank you!

alfredosotoz
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

This work from me:

1) Logout from the console: shopify logout

2) Instead of accesing my development store from my partners dashboard, went directly to my store address and login in from there.

Example:

Store Name: AwesomeProducts 

URL: awesome-products.myshopify.com -> Login

You are going to be redirected to your default browser, login from there.

3) Go back to the console, then run: shopify login --store=awesome-products.myshopify.com

4) Then run again shopify populate products

Hope it works for other folks out there!

Luis100
Visitor
1 0 0

@alfredosotoz thanks, it worked. 

shariffaraz
Visitor
1 0 0

Thanks that helped me resolve the issue

Panos152
Visitor
1 0 0

When you type shopify create into the terminal, it will prompt you for what type of app you’d like to create. You’ll have the choice of creating an app with react front end, or in ruby on rails.

arsnl
Shopify Partner
2 0 18

I had the same issue.

It look like when you create a new development store from your Shopify Partner account, Shopify create a temporary admin user for this store. However, this admin user is not automatically linked to your Shopify Partner account (the one you are using with the Shopify CLI).

To fix this issue, you have to follow these steps.

- Open a new tab in your browser in incognito mode and go to your store admin page (https://your-store-name.myshopify.com/admin). The reason why you need to be in incognito mode is to make sure Shopify ask you for your credentials.

- The store admin page will then ask you your credentials. The email is your Shopify Partner account email and the password is the development store password. If you don't know your development store password, go on your non-incognito mode browser tabs and check https://your-store-name.myshopify.com/admin/online_store/preferences?tutorial=unlock

- Shopify will then send you a 6 digits code to your email and ask you to enter this code in order to link the development store admin account to your Shopify Partner account.

- After linking the development store admin account to your Shopify Partner account, you should be able to populate the product for this development store. However, since your token access are now different, you'll need to refresh it by doing a `shopify login` with the CLI.

- After that, you can do a `shopify populate products` and it's gonna work.

I hope this is gonna help you and future Shopify Partners!

devontriley
Visitor
1 0 2

This is definitely the correct fix for the problem. Worked for me and makes total sense. Thanks so much!!

Abhishek_Soni
Visitor
2 0 1

Have the same issue. Tried all the methods but it is still not working. if anyone get solution for this please reply.

Abhishek_Soni
Visitor
2 0 1

facing same problem. Did you get solution for this. please help. I have tried whole day but did not get any thing.

cmist123
Visitor
1 0 1

You can select the store you want to login to using the login prompt;

shopify login --store=STORE

where STORE is the 'abc' from 'abc.myshopify.com'

HueyHuang
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Caution

You can't use Shopify CLI with development stores if you only have Partner staff member access to the store. If you want to use Shopify CLI to work on a development store, then you should be the store owner or create a staff account on the store.

If you're the store owner, then you need to log in to the store directly using the store URL at least once (for example, using my-example-store.myshopify.com/admin) before you log in using Shopify CLI. Logging in to the Shopify admin directly connects the development store with your Shopify login.

https://shopify.dev/themes/tools/cli/core-commands

I try to relog to my develop store directly and then I get the access to run populate command

berrwithme
Visitor
1 0 0

Adding a different user as a staff worked for me. I don't remember why but the store owner user I setup used a different email than my main Shopify partner email. So, I was able to use my main partner email as the staff member. And I was already logged into my terminal under that user anyway.

groobiest
Visitor
1 0 0

Creating a staff member in the new development store with the same email as the email my partner account uses worked for me!!!

I guess why the populate command borks for some people is that they (like me) decided to give their playground developer store admin a different email from the one they use for their partner email. I don't think this is such an unusual thing to want to do.

A key concept here is that different staff/owner/partner "users" are treated specially is they share an email address, given that email addresses are unique to a person. This is not immediately as obvious or as intuitive as Shopify devs might think given that a fair number of people were tripped up following what should be a simple tutorial.