Need clarification on inventory not tracked

Solved

Need clarification on inventory not tracked

Tirzah
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi I see that some of my products are tracked and some are not and I do not understand what setting I should have this on, why and how to do it.  Please guide me, thanks.

~Tirzah

Accepted Solution (1)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2571 235 545

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Tirzah,

If you set up inventory tracking for a product, you'll be able to manage how many units of a variant/ product you have available. You can then prevent customers from purchasing a product when it is out of stock, if you wish, and you can also track the inventory history of the product for the past 90 days.

Enabling inventory tracking is a good idea if you have a limited amount of a product available, and if you want to keep an accurate track of how much of your products you have in stock. However, if you have potentially unlimited amount of inventory available—such as if you are dropshipping or using a Print on Demand model—then enabling this feature might not be needed. You are able to track inventory for some products while not doing so for others.

I hope this explains things but please let me know if you have further questions.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 11 (11)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2571 235 545

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Tirzah,

If you set up inventory tracking for a product, you'll be able to manage how many units of a variant/ product you have available. You can then prevent customers from purchasing a product when it is out of stock, if you wish, and you can also track the inventory history of the product for the past 90 days.

Enabling inventory tracking is a good idea if you have a limited amount of a product available, and if you want to keep an accurate track of how much of your products you have in stock. However, if you have potentially unlimited amount of inventory available—such as if you are dropshipping or using a Print on Demand model—then enabling this feature might not be needed. You are able to track inventory for some products while not doing so for others.

I hope this explains things but please let me know if you have further questions.

Tirzah
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi @Victor,

Thank you so much for the clarification.  I use Printify and Printful sometimes and do not track inventory so I think I am good.

Take care and be safe,

~ Tirzah

Victor
Shopify Staff
2571 235 545

Hi @Tirzah,

No problem at all. Please let me know if you have further questions.

jenniferlowehb
Visitor
1 0 0

I am setting up a shopify store, and this has me stumped. I dont even have a "inventory tracked" section on some of my products. I cant find anywhere to add it. Some of my products just say "inventory not tracked". There is no place to even enable it. Im so frustrated at this point.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2571 235 545

Hi @jenniferlowehb,

I am sorry to hear that you're having this issue. Would it be possible for you to send me a screenshot of one of your products while you're editing it so I can see the missing inventory section?

The inventory section should appear when you edit a product:

12-49-59665-85730

Here you can edit the product's SKU and barcode number, enable or disable inventory tracking, and set the location/ service through which the product will be fulfilled. Please bear in mind that if you have variants added to a product, you will be managing inventory on the variant-level and not the product-level. This means that you would need to press "Edit variant" to access the inventory options for products with variants.

I hope this helps and as mentioned, please feel free to share a screenshot of the missing inventory section if you're still not able to find it and I'd be happy to assist further.

Soly
Tourist
4 0 0

please help me,  i uploaded the stock Qty while uploading the products under column "Variant Inventory Qty"

but i found that "Track quantity" is not active, and all products were updated, but there is no items in inventory.

i need upload the stock via .csv file,

2022-09-17_224749.jpg

nio_gunawan
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Victor,

So if I am using print on demand I don't need to worry when it says inventory not tracked? customer can still buy it correct? they won't see it at the shop as unavailable or not in stock? 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2571 235 545

Hi @nio_gunawan,

Yes, this is fine. Inventory tracking is only necessary if you have limited inventory and need to keep track of how many units of a product you have on hand. If you are selling via a Print on Demand model, you do not need to track inventory details as you can place an order with the supplier whenever you receive one yourself. If inventory tracking is not enabled for a product then it will not appear as out of stock at any time to customers.

aymanabdelhady
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi @Victor  I hope you are well! 

I would apprecaite some help here. Some of my products on my store have the message Inventory is not tracked at amiiraa store and somehow I cant change the inventory at all. Is there a way for me to fix this instead of deleting the products and readding them? 
Thank you in advance! 

Mac
Shopify Staff
1690 177 280

Hi, @aymanabdelhady!

Thanks for your question.

I suggest reviewing our Inventory tracking guide to learn more about the process. If you are still having issues, we will need to access your account to gather more information. However, please note that we are unable to provide account-specific support through the Community Forums. But don't worry! We would be more than happy to continue assisting you through our Help Center. To access our live support, you can ask the Virtual Shopify Assistant to "contact support." It will guide you on the next steps to connect with a team member who can provide further assistance tailored to your account.

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 

nio_gunawan
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you 🙏