Can Shopify track individual pack sales from a box purchase?

RobGFP
9 0 0

Hi! I have a situation for a retail shop where I want to be able to receive boxes but sell individual packs from the boxes. For my example, we're buying boxes with 12 packs that we can sell one-by-one. Is there a way to create two products - one for the box and one for the pack, and connect them so Shopify knows that after we sell 12 packs, on the 13th one to subtract one box and add 12 packs?

Also sorry if this isn't super clear. If I need to explain this further for understanding, please let me know and I will do my best. Thanks in advance!

Replies 8 (8)

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi

The way you accomplish it is by bundling up the 12 pack as 12 x single SKU. Our bundling app does this as was a common issue for our users.

We calculate the stock available based on component stock so if you sell the single or 12 pack both quantities will update post purchase.

Regards

Tom

RobGFP
9 0 0

Tom,

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think this fully solves my question though. I'd like to keep separate inventories of the full box and individual packs, but have shopify subtract one box and add packs when we're sold out of packs but have more boxes available.

Thanks

ProfitLabs
Shopify Partner
118 5 15

Hi @RobGFP ,

Need a few clarifications regarding your situation here.

1) are you selling both boxes and individual pack on shopify. or you are just receiving boxes from your supplier and selling boxes out of it.

2) "on the 13th one to subtract one box and add 12 packs" -- subtract 1 box is fine but why do you want to add 12 packs to pack product inventory?

Abhinav | Shopify Partner
- If helpful, please Like and Accept Solution.
- Creator of Sync Inventory - GoGo - Sync Inventory Across Multiple or Single Shopify Store .
- Creator of Profit Bundles - Sell Omni Sales Channel Bundles that you can fulfill yourself or even by a 3PL or Dropshipper.
RobGFP
9 0 0

Hi Abhinav,

Sorry for the delayed reply. We would want to have both boxes and packs listed on our website for certain items. To answer your question about adding 12 packs, I would want this capability because if we subtract one box from inventory (without having sold it), we need to add 12 packs to keep inventory levels consistent. Plus now we would have those packs to sell which needs to be reflected on inventory.

Quick example - let's say we buy 5 boxes of product that each contain 10 packs. We could list 4 sealed boxes and 10 individual packs for sale. Now let's say we sell 2 sealed boxes (leaving us with 2 left) and sell all 10 packs. Now I would want to remove one sealed box from inventory and add 10 packs to sell and find a way to automate that process.

Please let me know if you want any more clarification on this. Thanks!

ProfitLabs
Shopify Partner
118 5 15

Thanks @RobGFP , this is a simple case of monitering the inventory changes at product level, checking if any rules exist in your backend and based upon rules adjust the inventory for the rest of the products, have you tried the app that come when you search for term "connected inventory", if they dont work for you please tell us, we can make one for you.

- Creator of Sync Inventory - GoGo - Sync Inventory Across Multiple or Single Shopify Store .
- Creator of Profit Bundles - Sell Omni Sales Channel Bundles that you can fulfill yourself or even by a 3PL or Dropshipper.
RobGFP
9 0 0

How would I check the rules on the back end? I'm not familiar with this part of Shopify, but am willing to learn. I have not tried any apps yet to manage this. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.

ProfitLabs
Shopify Partner
118 5 15

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant you will create some rules to connect inventory of various products in the app you will choose, based upon these rules app modify your store inventory, i request you to please check out various apps listed under search term "connected inventory".

RobGFP
9 0 0

Okay, thank you for the clarification on this. I will do some research on it, and I will post here on this thread if I need any more help. Thanks!