New 'Live View' World Map is HORRIBLE - Am I Alone?

JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

Am I the only one that HATES this new Live View page? You can't even see states or countries anymore and it immediately makes me nauseous from a headache.  I'm not joking, it literally just gave me a headache within seconds of seeing it.  They really should give us options on how to look at it.  I used to look at the view several times per day and now I won't be able to... now it won't do me any good.

Hawaii is just a freaking dot now.  This is SO STUPID.  Who cares about making a MAP a freaking 'design'.  I just want a MAP, you know where you can see states and countries like a normal person.  Can someone tell me where Switzerland went? haha

Replies 34 (34)

PrimRenditions
Excursionist
35 0 38

Glad you posted this because you saved me a LOT of typing.  I agree 100%.  It is awful.   Shopify please change it back or give us a way to toggle back to the actual map view, with state and country borders.  

JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

HAHA you are welcome. So bad right? I always wonder if they pass these things by people who actually use the tool... how did someone think this is a good idea.  An analytics map isn't about 'art'... a map needs to be a map.  And the dark coloring of the old version was much easier to look at.

hotrocksjewelry
Tourist
4 0 14

I really don’t like this new view at all. Too many dots. Not enough info. 

Boutique1780
Tourist
5 0 17

It is horrendous! We need a functional map, not an aesthetically pleasing map. Ease of use is first priority, but whenever they make these changes they always favor design and get worse and worse.  

JackalopeJane
Tourist
4 0 6

also who is this pleasing to, a bunch of bees? that's the only thing i got from it. Such a weird choice to just pop on all of us

Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

Hey, @JPHB85 

Eunice here from Shopify. Thank you for your feedback on the recent live view rollout. We really do appreciate it! I have gone ahead and added your comments to the feedback report.

You are able to switch back to classic view by toggling the drop-down menu from the live view page.

18-58-96548-24671

Let me know if you encounter any issues with that.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

moppedanne
Visitor
1 0 4

Its good that we can switch back to the old one but there are a few things you could do better. 

The map is really simple and does not provide any info on what the customers are looking at. 

Could you please add wich URLs are active? A simple versjon of Google Analytics live view would do. 

JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

Ugh I agree, I had figured out the 'map view' but it is so not the same... and the states in the US look drunk, it's so strange.  Plus you can't move the map easily like the globe.  I really don't understand why they would do this.

PrimRenditions
Excursionist
35 0 38

Thanks for sharing this @Eunice .  Is there a way to get the globe view without the dots?  I like the globe view but cannot look at these dots. 

JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

Sameeeee!

JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

Yes, I had figured that out already, unfortunately that is still not the same as the globe and still not functional to us.  I really cannot fathom how anyone thought this was a good idea for a functional tool that we use daily.

Badlands
Tourist
3 0 7

That's just the updated map version. This doesn't you to switch back to dark mode.  The new version is unusable.

JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

@Eunice the 'map view' also does not show you which state is what.  When you 'hover' over them they all just say 'United States' or 'Canada.  I'm honestly shocked that Shopify hasn't just reverted back to the last version of this map with how bad it is.  Especially given the holiday season is coming.

JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

Also, @Eunice I just noticed this ridiculousness too.  ONE hexagon on the map is reading for THREE different states.  That is how bad this map is.Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.30.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.30.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.30.08 PM.png

ChaosConcepts
Visitor
1 0 6

The map view is distorted and does not reflect the same as the old globe did. The dots showing customers on the map are almost invisible theyre so small. You dont get the updates/notices when pages are viewed. I might be lucky in the color scheme because I have my browser in dark mode (which still isnt that good) but Ive read several complaints about the coloring of it entirely. This is really a poor excuse for a solution. I understand, from a development standpoint, to push new stuff and show it off during such a big revenue timeframe, but when it affects how we can view our sales, we get a little testy. 

The globe view now is beyond terrible. I am sure someone somewhere likes it, but when pushing big stuff like this, id like a toggle between the *actual* old view vs the new stuff. An old replacement that doesnt function the same isn't helpful at a time when we dont have time or patience to mess with it because we are focused on our sales. 

I appreciate the development that goes into the product overall. Its a great tool. This kind of thing should probably go through a larger sample focus group of actual sellers before going live at such a critical time.

Embrace the Chaos.
madamsousou
Visitor
1 0 5

Thank you for your advice Eunice but unfortunately that option is still pretty bad!
Please allows us to at least have the option of going back to the previous live view globe it wasn't fantastic but this hexagon view is horrendous!!!!!!

Deboraaagh
Visitor
1 0 4

The map view is just as ugly and unappealing. Please bring back the old Live view!!

ThatGlitterStor
Visitor
2 0 4

Mine just changed this morning and I HATE it. I do not have the option to change anything. The colors are horrible and bright. You can’t see the states any more. WHY did you fix something that wasn’t broken???  Every app is giving options to darken the screen and you change from dark to bright?   It looks like an elementary art project. I literally just bought a big screen tv to show the map live in our order fulfillment area to help motivate while we’re packing orders, no way am I broadcasting this atrocity. Please bring back our dark map that shows the states. This is horrible. Absolutely the worst. 

ThatGlitterStor
Visitor
2 0 4

But it’s still so bright. The old view looked sharp and high tech. I repost the “highlights” during big sales. My customers really got a kick out of finding their dot, and watching their shooting star. A friend who works in the tech industry even reached out to ask what program I was using to make that graphic. It was so impressive. 

I won’t be posting this new mess. It looks like an elementary school art project compared to the old map. I’d be embarrassed to share this new one, it’s just aweful. 

All phones  and apps are now offering a dark view because studies have shown dark views cause less headaches, it’s less stressful to your eyes, and you changed ours to bright. 

Will you PLEASE offer an option to revert to the “classic live view map” that most of us loved?  PLEASE?

JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

@Eunice are there any updates on if this will get fixed? I truly cannot fathom how this horrible hexagon is still there.  it is completely unusable.  even the 'map view' is unusable.  

Jenkins43
Tourist
5 0 12

I'm hating the new live view as well, and also dislike the "Map view" option now too. It's too light and the blue dots are extremely small and hard to see. 

I'd like to see:

1) a darker map with the states in the USA outlined and labeled, and then when someone visits have it be like a bright star, almost the same icon as when someone buys from you. 

2) How many ITEMS are sold in addition to total order count

3) The Page view count (as you'd see it in the app before clicking "See live view" - i watch this closely too

patriciah
Excursionist
15 2 13

It's absolutely horrendous.  A complete case of bad design, where form over function prevails.  I get a blank screen when I ask it for the old "world view" and I have no idea what it is worth to even have it at this point.  Last year, they dumbed it down the week before the holiday season and took away from us the interactive page views screen, which really helped us see how many people were on what page of our site.  Now, we get this mess.  I cannot fathom, for the life of me, why shopify would make such egregious changes like this.  thank goodness I'm not in the EU...I'd have absolutely no idea what hexagon represented what county. 

coolers
Tourist
3 0 14

Thanks for posting.  Shopify please identify a redeeming quality in the new live view.  A state grid is beneficial to many of us.  Accurate and quickly updated visitor dots is beneficial to many of us. 

I thought the dark version was hard to see the black state lines on a dark purple map.  This polygon video game view is really just ridiculous.

TA_2022
Tourist
4 0 6

Same here. I've been trying to change it back for weeks. I initially thought something was wrong with my laptop until i noticed this was occurring on every device i logged in on. It's very hard to look at. I hate it. 

Andr7
Tourist
9 0 13

We've been on Shopify for quite some time now and last few years they have managed to pull the stunt to change live view right before BFCM. And every year it gets worse somehow 😁

Great they have the option to switch back to an actual map, but they should make a survey among their customers to see who likes the updates to the live view. 

TA_2022
Tourist
4 0 6
How do change it back to the other view ? I haven’t been able to figure that out yet .
JPHB85
Pathfinder
101 0 244

Unfortunately you really can't.  The only thing you can do is change to the 'map view' toward the bottom left side of the map it gives the options.  Sadly it is useless too, just less obnoxious to look at.

GPAC
Visitor
1 0 3

Agree 100%. The original I would even pay more to get it back. You could see multiple places pulsating and nobody is able to track which IP address, is this restricted by law suddenly overnight?

It was also great for social media Stories!

Debra_Jambor
Explorer
43 0 17

HATE HATE HATE IT...YUCK. What nerd designed this? Off the Christmas list. Naughty

Decorfaure
Explorer
52 0 81

HATE IT!!!! We used to be able to see visitor ticker notifications on bottom left screen showing "who is looking at what page, someone viewed checkout page etc and its all gone! Why does shopify need to fix something which wasn't broken? Bring back the old live view!

LadyN
Visitor
2 0 2

This new live view page is horrendous. Gives ZERO information about state/city. Before I could see when certain customers were online by location, and knew I should be at the ready to help them with large orders. Now I have no idea where the dots are located, and the list of cities says things like "Ashburn" - well, what city is that? What about "Washington"? DC, or Washington State, or Washington, Iowa? I saw the drop-down to go back to a map view, but that is new, too, and only treats the US as a single entity, not by state. Why are these things not tested on REAL USERS for functionality? Please reconsider this change and go back to the previous version. Could I also suggest moving the "open cart, checking out, purchased" counters up to the top so we don't have to scroll down to see that? 

jlsdesignstore
Visitor
1 0 1

Totally agree it's awful I want the other back please

AMANDA77
Visitor
1 0 1

Completely agree!  I am HATING this new view.  I used to be able to do a daily review of all the little swishes and sales and that's gone now too.  Please please go back to the old view.  

supernerds
Tourist
3 0 2

Yeah this live view is horrible. We only sell within Norway, so a globe or a world map is useless. I have to zoom in manually each time to see where my customers are. The live view in Omnisend is much better! It let's us see exactly when customers are triggering events as view page, add to cart, initiate checkout etc. One should believe Shopify themselves could make a better one, but no.