New User wants to learn about Shopify Lite

WhiteSandsArts
4 0 0

Hi People! Nice to meet you!

I have a plan in the formulation stage that has led me here. Please pardon my stupid questions in advance.

I prefer to build and manage my own website, so I'm taking a good look at Shopify Lite.

I'm a long-time ebay user, so I'm interest in the utility that connects ebay to Shopify. The Shopify info comparing Lite to Basic is less than detailed, so I'm here for advice.

Tell me.

In the setup I've described, will I be missing anything? If yes, what? Will I be able to install the Shopify ebay plugin if I don't use a "Shopify constructed and approved" web site?

I figure that if I have to, I can just build this and see what happens. I'll do that if I have to, but I'd prefer to ask here first.

Thanks!

WSA

Replies 6 (6)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3086 401 629

@WhiteSandsArts 

The Lite plan will give you access to sales channels such as eBay and the Buy Button. You can continue to use your own website while utilizing the eBay sales channel. 

Requirements for the eBay sales channel:

• PayPal account for eBay
  • Shopify Lite plan or higher
  • Must have an eBay.com (US), eBay.ca (Canada), eBay.com.au (Australia), eBay.co.uk (United Kingdom) or eBay.de (Germany) account. (opening a store on eBay is not required)
  • eBay document: Everyday Rates and Plans

More information on the Lite plan can be found here

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

WhiteSandsArts
4 0 0

Thank you for your reply, Trevor. It is encouraging.

Your "security procedure" blocked my login for half an hour with "TOO MANY REQUESTS" and "CAPTCHA CAPTCHA." This is not conducive to conducting business.

I am WELL APPRAISED of the growing importance of security in online business. I wouldn't have it any other way. I would be happy if your security IT Lord would become WELL APPRAISED of what the other people are doing and COPY IT. He's over the top. REMEMBER: Perfect security would be, no access at all.

I have no trouble logging into CHASE BANK. I have no trouble logging into SOCIAL SECURITY, AMAZON, EBAY, or dozens of others.

Please explain why you won't do what everybody else does.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3086 401 629

@WhiteSandsArts 

If you're getting an error that there are too many requests and/or you're having issues with the captcha, then that would suggest a local-ended issue. Typically, it would be due to a browser extension or device software running in the background that would cause the issue. You can try: 

• Clearing your browsers cache/cookies
  • Trying Google Chrome Incognito mode 
  • Trying a different browser 
  • Shutting down any background software 
  • If you're using a VPN, disabling it and trying again

WhiteSandsArts
4 0 0

Thank you for your reply, Trevor.

Mind that my standards for a potential business partner are higher than they would be for a teenage chat room.

No other website is behaving in this way, only Shopify, as I have already said. This strongly suggests that this issue is not caused by local factors, but rather, is definitely caused by Shopify.

I suspect that Shopify is blocking my VPN, without providing any notification of this. Sadly, this is common today. I hope the problem is no more serious than this.

I also suspect that Shopify has no QA department or process, as was considered professional not long ago. QA would have caught this.

Remember that for every user who notifies you with this issue, 100 never notify you.

I might be able to work around this. What is concerning is that my customers may also experience this behavior. My evaluation process will take longer than I had hoped.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3086 401 629

@WhiteSandsArts 

Not every website operates the same and in most cases, the issues do stem from the users' device and/or network. That said, it's not that Shopify is blocking you from using a VPN, but rather your VPN that is blocking Shopify. Firewalls, VPNs and other security measures can cause issues accessing your account. 

If you are using a VPN, then testing your account login without the VPN enabled will tell us whether or not the issue is with your VPN. If you can't replicate the issue with your VPN disabled, then we wouldn't be able to troubleshoot this further as it is a locally ended issue.

If disabling the VPN doesn't work, and you've tried the other troubleshooting steps above, then our Technical Support can look into this. Once you have tried the steps, you can contact our Support for further assistance. You can do this by logging into your store through the help center, searching your question/issue, then selecting "continue" at the bottom of the page that displays the search results. 

Issues accessing your admin do not affect your customers as they do not need to access your account to place an order. 

WhiteSandsArts
4 0 0

Thank you Trevor.

This is not about "Whose fault is it." It's not about "We live in a complex and variable world." The bottom line is, as they say, is that Shopify may require a lengthy debugging process, while the great majority of other websites do not.

Thank you for your time.