Solved

Why is the newsletter sign up failing reCAPTCHA validation on Shopify?

Herd360LLC
Tourist
4 0 1

Hey, First time poster here. I have been using Shopify since 2015 and rarely have issues. Recently my newsletter sign up has stopped working. When a customer tries to sign up they get this error Request failed reCAPTCHA validation. I don't think I have changed anything. I am using the warehouse theme and my website is herd360.com. Anyone have any insight?

Accepted Solution (1)
Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @whitleyreed  & @pliersandstring.

Thank you for joining the thread.

It looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 16 (16)

Herd360LLC
Tourist
4 0 1

here is the code for the newsletter incase that helps. Also the store url is https://herd-360.myshopify.com/admin

<section class="section section--text-centered" data-section-id="{{ section.id }}" data-section-type="newsletter">
<div class="container container--extra-narrow">
{%- if section.settings.title != blank -%}
<h2 class="heading h3">{{ section.settings.title | escape }}</h2>
{%- endif -%}

{%- if section.settings.content != blank -%}
<div class="rte">
{{ section.settings.content }}
</div>
{%- endif -%}

{%- assign newsletter_id = 'newsletter-' | append: section.id -%}

<div class="newsletter newsletter--compact">
{%- form 'customer', id: newsletter_id, class: 'form newsletter__form' -%}
{%- if form.posted_successfully? -%}
<p class="alert alert--success">{{ 'home_page.newsletter.success' | t }}</p>
{%- else -%}
{%- if form.errors -%}
<p class="alert alert--error">{{ form.errors.messages['email'] }}</p>
{%- endif -%}

<input type="hidden" name="contact[tags]" value="newsletter">

<div class="form__input-row">
<div class="form__input-wrapper form__input-wrapper--labelled">
<input type="email" id="newsletter[contact][email]" name="contact[email]" class="form__field form__field--text" required>
<label for="newsletter[contact][email]" class="form__floating-label">{{ 'home_page.newsletter.input' | t }}</label>
</div>

<button type="submit" class="form__submit button button--primary">{{ 'home_page.newsletter.submit' | t }}</button>
</div>
{%- endif -%}
{%- endform -%}
</div>
</div>
</section>

{% schema %}
{
"name": "Newsletter",
"settings": [
{
"type": "paragraph",
"content": "Customers who subscribe will have their email address added to the \"accepts marketing\" [customer list](/admin/customers?query=&accepts_marketing=1)."
},
{
"type": "text",
"id": "title",
"label": "Heading",
"default": "Newsletter"
},
{
"type": "richtext",
"id": "content",
"label": "Text",
"default": "<p>A short sentence describing what someone will receive by subscribing</p>"
}
],
"presets": [
{
"category": "Promotional",
"name": "Newsletter",
"settings": {}
}
]
}
{% endschema %}

GhostHostLauren
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm getting this today as well, even when I just tested it yesterday. Could possibly be a known issue?

aline808
Excursionist
21 0 7

I'm having the same issue, right when I'm testing a new theme. I think it has something to do with recaptcha. I turned the option off in store preferences for recaptcha and my contact form works.

rachelatzestt
Visitor
1 0 0

We are having this issue as well, and this seemed to work. We don't necessarily want to keep it off forever, so would love to see a longer-term solution!

Herd360LLC
Tourist
4 0 1

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Can you tell me where to find that setting?

aline808
Excursionist
21 0 7

It's under: SALES CHANNELS>Preferences>Spam Protection

It's the first option:

Enable Google reCAPTCHA on contact and comment forms

I simply unchecked the box for now. Will check back tomorrow and see if it's been corrected. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Herd360LLC@GhostHostLauren@aline808, & @rachelatzestt.

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention.

There was an issue earlier today that lead to a "failed reCaptcha validation" error when customers tried signing up for the Newsletters or when using the Contact forms. A fix for this issue was deployed around 5pm EST today, and we've seen stores recover from this issue. Looking at the timestamps in this thread, it seems the issue was happening before the fix was deployed. Nevertheless, could each of you double-check whether the issue has been resolved on your end?

If the issue continues to persist (after 5pm EST), then it looks we'll need to access your accounts to resolve the issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I'd love to know if the issue has been resolved for each of you. Let me know!

pjcaughey
Visitor
2 0 2

Still seeing the issue on contact forms.  I even disabled the reCaptcha option in theme preferences, and the error is still happening.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @pjcaughey.

If you're still running into issues with the reCaptcha on the Newsletters or Contact forms, then it looks like we'll need to take a closer look at your account. As previously mentioned, while we aren't able to provide this level of account-specific support via the Shopify Community, our Support team would be happy to assist you through live chat, email, or callback. To get in touch with our Support team, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log into your account to create a support request.

Did you get a chance to reach out to our Support team already?

KristerB
Visitor
2 0 0

I am also still getting this error on my store! 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @KristerB.

If you're still encountering this error on your store, then it looks like we'll need to take a closer look at your account to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide that level of account-specific support via the Shopify Community, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I'd love to know if our Support team can help you resolve this issue. Keep me posted!

pliersandstring
Excursionist
16 2 5

Hi!

This is occuring for our store as well. Not sure how long the problem has been going on.

I'm disabling CAPTCHA for now, would love to see this fixed.

Thanks,

Ryan

EDIT:

Tried the above but no luck. See here: https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/urgent-help-with-brooklyn-newsletter-subscribe-b...

aline808
Excursionist
21 0 7

working for me now.

thanks.

whitleyreed
Visitor
1 0 1

I am also experiencing this issue as of now. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @whitleyreed  & @pliersandstring.

It looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Herd360LLC
Tourist
4 0 1

found it