Notify customers when item back in stock in specific location

Jackson_Cunnin2
Shopify Partner
113 0 15

There are lots of "back in stock" apps that allow customers to signup when an item is out of stock across all shopify locations, and then notifies those customers when quantity at any location goes above zero.

However - we're looking for a back in stock app that allows customers to sign up for notifications to specific locations (i.e. "Canada Warehouse") and they get notified when that specific warehouse becomes in stock.

Any options? 

Replies 2 (2)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2830 442 576

Hi there!

That's a great question and I can definitely understand the benefit of finding an app that could do that for you. While I did do some digging into our app store for a possible solution, I wasn't able to find one that was tailored to your request. Part of this is because of how the fulfillment of products and variants is managed by the Shopify admin when an order comes in. I'll explain what I mean!

When a store on Shopify has multiple locations available that fulfill online orders, there is a certain amount of math that goes into what location is filling what order based on the items in the cart. You can see that process in more detail in our Help Center here: Shopify Help Center: Order Management.

This means that a customer who is closer to one fulfillment location may still end up having an order fulfilled from a farther away location if more of what they are ordering is coming from there. Because customer X is not going to have their order always fulfilled from location Y, a stock checker app would be hard pressed to be tailored to support alerts from a specific fulfillment location. It's not impossible, but definitely more advanced.

One way to work around this would be to use product variants to track the fulfillment locations, setting the back in stock alerts for the specific variant: Variant A = Stocked in location A and Variant B = Stocked in location B. Set variant to in stock, alert goes to customers who wanted a notification for that location.

Let me know if you have any other questions about apps or order fulfillment that I can help with.

- Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

DeJoy
Shopify Partner
27 2 4

Vye: Automated Email Alerts allows customers to sign up for notifications of product properties like tags, variants and so on. If you add the warehouse location to every item, customers can subscribe to it and get notifications when there are updates.

SAGE Apps | Automatically alert your subscribers when you add new products with Vye: Automated Email Alerts | Email: contact@sage-apps.com