Orders showing in Abandoned cart

sindhuthomas
Excursionist
23 0 9

Hi! I am seeing a strange occurrence on my Shopify backend. I received orders today but they are also reflecting in the Abandoned cart section as well. For example, I received an order at 11.00 am. The same order will be shown as Abandoned at 2pm. How is that possible? So I am concerned if my automated Abandoned Cart emails are getting sent to customers despite them having already placed their order successfully.

Is it some sort of bug in Shopify? 

Replies 6 (6)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2334 253 516

Hey, @sindhuthomas 

Happy to look into this for you. Are you using a third-party gateway for these orders in question by chance (Eg. PayPal)? 

These abandoned cart orders can occur when a customer doesn't complete the full checkout process. On offsite gateways, the customer needs to wait until they're returned to Shopify's website before our system turns it into an order. This usually means the customer needs to see the "thank you" page to confirm it's a completed order. If the customer closes their checkout window too soon, leaves the website too soon, or otherwise fails to reach the "thank you" page after payment, we record that as an abandoned checkout.

Another possibility is that the third-party gateway took too long to send the proper response back to Shopify. In these cases, the payment would go through on their end, but Shopify didn't receive the required info in the required time window. Instead of waiting indefinitely, the system turns the checkout into an abandoned checkout.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

sindhuthomas
Excursionist
23 0 9
Hi, thank you for your response.
All orders which I received yesterday were a mix of Paypal and card
payments. So I really think it was a bug. Anyhow I think the issue is
sorted now.
Thank you very much for your reply 🙂

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2334 253 516

Hey, @sindhuthomas 

Just looping back here. Glad to hear you got things sorted out! If the issue happens to persist again, feel free to get back to me.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

lindsaylovestea
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Dirk,

I am having the same issue, a few orders are showing in the abandoned checkout, when the customer has completed an order. Both transactions are showing the same time. I'm worried that automated abandoned checkout emails are now going to people who have purchased.

cjleiter2021
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having the same issue.  What is causing this to happen.

tnemeth888
Excursionist
17 0 29

Hi Dirk,

I am having this problem myself but for us it's the POS showing an abandoned checkout. The transaction is complete for the individuals but now they are showing up as abandoned as well. Please see attached.