Payment Gateways

elena_t
4 0 0

Hi, I'm working on my Shopify Website, I came across a dilemma, what is the difference between Shopify payment gateway and, for example, Razorpay? I'm based in India.

Reply 1 (1)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3081 401 629

@elena_t 

Great question! Shopify Payments is our in-house credit card processor for store owners who are living in eligible countries. Razorpay or any other payment provider would be considered a "third-party" payment provider. These payment providers also offer the ability to process major credit cards and/or other region-specific payment types through their platform. 

Most third-party payment providers, such as Razorpay or Paypal would direct the customer away from the Shopify checkout to complete the transaction. Once they have, the customer would be redirected back to the Shopify checkout to show the order was successful. 

Since you're based in India, you would not have access to Shopify Payments; however, you do have access to a number of other payment providers. You can view a full list of payment providers for India here. As you'll be using a third-party payment provider, you will be subject to "transaction fees" where occur on every order. The fee can range between 0.5% - 2% which is based on the plan you select for your store. Transaction fees are paid alongside your monthly invoice and would be on top of what your payment provider charges you for using their services. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog