Payment options for SOUTH AFRICA

MoJos
Visitor
2 0 6

Hi, my business is based in South Africa & I want to use Yoco as my local payment gateway. There is no Shopify & Yoco integration. Please add this as feedback to get built soon. Yoco is the only gateway in SA that lets me accept payments both online and in-store.

Replies 20 (20)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @MoJos

My name is Rae and I work for Shopify. 

Thanks for reaching out about using Yoco to accept payments, and sharing your use case behind this request. 

As you mentioned, Yoco isn't currently an available payment provider for merchants in South Africa. However, I understand that you're hoping to use this provider to accept payments both in store, and in person, so I'm going to share your feedback on this with our team directly. 

If we make any changes to the payment options in South Africa, or if we add Yoco to our list of payment providers, we'll update our changelog, as well as our Updates blog with more details, so I recommend keeping an eye on both of those resources. 

In the meantime though, you can see which payment providers are available to merchants in South Africa on this list. Some popular choices from that list are 2Checkout and PayPal Express Checkout. It's important to keep in mind that these options are all third-party providers though, so if you have any questions about using these gateways, please contact the providers directly. 

This information should get you on the right track, but let me know if you have any further questions or concerns! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

MoJos
Visitor
2 0 6

Thank you, but we bank with ABSA and cannot find an ecommerce app that integrates with ABSA...

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @MoJos

Thanks for following up with these details. 

Have you already had a chance to reach out to each of the gateways on this list to confirm if they integrate with ABSA? If not, I really recommend doing so, as these gateways can provide more information about the integrations they offer. 

If you've already spoken with all of the available gateways about this, then you may want to consider choosing a gateway from the list that you'd like to work with, and speaking with them further about what you'll need to make an integration with them work. This may require some adjustments on your end, but once complete, you'll be able to get a payment gateway up and running on your site! 

Best of luck with this, 

Tom115
Visitor
2 0 4

Hi there.

I am also looking for Yoco to be added to shopify as a payment integrator for South / Southern Africa.  I know they (YOCO) also want to develop the Shopify integration.

YOCO are the leading retail payment provider for Small Medium Enterprises in South Africa and offer great service and great pricing. I use them currently in my non shopify sales channels.

Not only will an addition of YOCO provide a improved competitive position for Shopify in this market (All other leading webstore software currently integrate with YOCO e.g. Woocommerce and WIX) it will also assist existing shopify merchants to be able to offer better service and pricing in this market.

Please prioritize Shopify !

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Tom115

Thank you for reaching out about this. I appreciate you sharing these details and your feedback.

I'm going to pass your thoughts along to our team for further review on our end. If we have any new information to share around this request, we'll post more details on our changelog, and our Updates blog, so make sure to keep checking those out! 

In the meantime though, did you have a chance to look over any of the gateways I suggested above? There are some great options on this list that I think you might find helpful. 

Cheers, 

SharpAutoParts
Visitor
2 0 6

Hello,

as per the above requests, we are also waiting for Yoco integration. I spoke to Yoco and they said the hold up is on Shopify's end as they have applied previously.

Please refer to the article below, Yoco has around 130,000 business' using their service.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/card-online-payments-south-africa-2021-6

Anyone else wanting Yoco integration, please make your request in this thread, hopefully with enough requests Shopify may consider it.

https://community.shopify.com/c/Payments-Shipping-and/Yoco/m-p/910383

Regards

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @SharpAutoParts

I appreciate you reaching out and offering this feedback.

I will certainly share your points with our team, and ensure your thoughts are added to our current open request. 

Thank you! 

CharlesL
Shopify Partner
3 0 6

Hi

I have to confirm that I have the same challenge with payment gateway options. Right now I have dozens of customers that I am looking to transition from legacy hosted WP/WooCommerce sites. This is the single factor stopping me from promoting Shopify more.

The current payment options in the list are poor. I either do not recognise most of them (foreign providers) or they do not serve my existing customer base. 

Yoco is THE provider in the SME market in South African and almost every customer uses their in-store devices and has requested their online payment gateway be used too. Their client base recognise and trust the Yoco brand.

Yoco has posted on their blog that they are trying to make an integration happen, but "Shopify is not looking for new providers" and that is stopping them. It seems that this will be a major negative for me in promoting the Shopify platform to customers.

Regards

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @CharlesL

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. 

I absolutely see the benefit in using Yoco with your business, due to how recognizable it is for customers, and their trust in the gateway. I'm going to share your points regarding this with our team directly. 

I appreciate you reaching out! 

dogs
Excursionist
18 0 5

PLEASE please please please!!!!!!!

I am also a yoco person & cant move forward & we are all now between a rock & another rock not even a hard place - we cannot do proper business, we cannot use shopify....... we have to stab our awesome yoco in the back by signing up to another integration system........

Running around like a drunk chicken between different payment gateways for different options 

Please this has been asked and asked and asked!!!!!

Please

Hello - it is me
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @dogs

I understand how important this is for your business, and I appreciate you sharing more details behind your request. 

I've passed your feedback over to our team, and we'll continue to review this on our end. 

Thank you!

Csut
Visitor
2 0 6

I want to trow my weight behind this. According to Yoco the holdup is on Shopify's end. This is currently the best option for South Africans as it serve online and instore small businesses. Kindly look into this asap. Regards.

Brandz999
Tourist
4 0 1

They will put it forward to the team but believe me nothing will get done. All just to pass the time and keep you on Shopify.

Witnessclothes
Visitor
2 0 1

I agree, it's been years and no change. I'm going to have to cancel my plan and shut down the store as it's no benefit to me. They charge way too much for a service that doesn't benefit us at all.

Brandz999
Tourist
4 0 1

Best option is to register a business with CIPC then apply to Payfast. The store will still show ZAR at checkout but I am going to create a pop-up explaining to customers why the currency converted at checkout. Check out an app called Warnify which is made for these exact cases. Shopify....do better.

bvdcent
Visitor
1 0 5

For goodness sake, can you guys please integrate Yoco into Shopify. It's very difficult to find an all in one solution and Yoco offers Link Payments, POS Card Machine Payments and Online Gateways, except for Shopify...

CharlesL
Shopify Partner
3 0 6

The most sough after payment processor, Yoco, is not supported and there is as yet no positive response from Shopify. South African market is clearly not a priority and not a market they care to develop. 

I have tried Peach (terrible quality technical product), Paystack (terrible quality customer service) and PayFast (high rates and fees, poor business model) for my first customer at Shopify. Really not a great experience.

The rigid checkout and payment experience is a major issue for me. 

cptshroomery
Visitor
1 0 3

Would like to also ad my voice to all the users on this thread----please integrate YOCO in Shopify ASAP!!

Yoco-eCommerce
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi @MoJos , 

Yoco is an available payment gateway for your Shopify store! Please find us on the Shopify App store here. For more information on how to add it to your store, we have a guide as well which can be found here

Witnessclothes
Visitor
2 0 1

We want Shopify to add it as first party payment gateway. At the moment it’s only available as a 3rd party payment gateway and as a result we can’t change the currency to browsers from their nation. I have added a currency selector but it still shows ZAR for UK or ZAR for USA