Why was my PayPal account closed after setting it up on my new Shopify store?

BChristinaArt
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I just opened my Shopify store and PayPal was already activated (a friend initially helped me with with set up) and I don't have a PayPal account. My first order was using PayPal so I was advised through Shopify chat to get set up on PayPal through Shopify. I did this. The order went through but said pending. And then I received emails saying that security permanently closed my PayPal account.  Why would this happen? I have SQUARE, great credit, etc...I called PayPal and they said that Security will not disclose the reason but they put in a request to security for this to be reviewed.  I know a lot of people use PayPal so I really wanted to use it with my shop. Needless to say, I now have it deactivated. My very first order is trapped in PayPal for 180 days... So weird.  Happen to anyone else? If I can't get PayPal, will it be a problem for my new business? 

My new shop is www.bethchristinaart.com  

Replies 3 (3)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey @BChristinaArt,

Welcome to the Shopify Community! I'll be happy to help you out with this.

PayPal is certainly a great payment provider but if you are unable to utilize it in your store then that is ok! You still have a lot of other fantastic options which I will go through below.

Shopify Payments

Shopify Payments is the simplest way to accept payments online. It eliminates the hassle of setting up a third-party payment provider or merchant account and having to enter the credentials into Shopify. If you qualify to use Shopify Payments, this payment provider lets your customers pay using Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and express checkouts like Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Shop Pay. A huge benefit of using Shopify Payments is that there are ZERO transaction fees on Shopify Payment orders.

If you'd like to read more about Shopify Payments, this Shopify Payments page has more information. If you are interested in testing your Shopify Payments gateway you can watch this step-by-step video this is a great way to see how customers experience the checkout process on your online store. 

Other Options

Whilst Shopify Payments may be the most versatile payment platform for you right now, in the future you may want to sell a variety of products and offer payment gateways for customers who may need to pay using methods other than a credit card. There are 3 more options for payment providers: 

• Third-party Providers - A different payment gateway that isn't Shopify Payments. Depending on where you are located, we have a large variety of payment options available. You can learn more about payment providers in your country or region right here.

• Alternative Payment Providers - Setting up an alternative payment provider allows your customers to pay for their orders online using something other than a credit card, like cryptocurrency. 

• Manual Payment Methods - This method lets you arrange to receive customer payments outside your online checkout. After receiving a payment, you can then manually approve the order. Common types of manual payments include cash on delivery (COD), money orders, and bank transfers.

PayPal Tip: A normal process in owning a business is your partners (including the services you incorporate into your business) managing their risk, however, new entrepreneurs have difficulty navigating their way around these situations. If you find yourself with PayPal holding your funds you have some steps they recommend to follow here. The better you manage your business, the less likely it is you'll encounter difficult situations with your payment gateways. Don't forget that you can eliminate your transaction fees with us by adding Shopify Payments as a gateway (if supported in your country) option for your customers as well.

By the way, your website looks really great! While I was looking at it, I noticed that you don't have a favicon. If you're not familiar with this, the favicon is the little logo that appears beside your store name on the browser tab. Having a favicon is really beneficial for your brand as it helps users recognize and identify your website easily, and it also presents a cohesive brand identity. I highly suggest adding one if you haven't thought of it. Should you need a guide to do so, we have one on this page.

If you have any questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

BChristinaArt
Visitor
2 0 0

This was incredibly helpful. Thank you! I’ll look into getting a favicon too! 

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

My pleasure @BChristinaArt, don't hesitate to reach back out if you require any further assistance as you continue to work on your store!

All the best,

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog