Is this email about selling branded products on Shopify a phishing attempt?

daniel_long
Explorer
56 0 15

I received an email this morning with the subject: "Action required to continue selling branded or trademarked products". It referenced a specific product we offer that has Nike in its name. It is not a product offered or controlled in any way by the apparel company of the same name. I'm perfectly happy to attest to our right to sell the product but both URLs in the email look like phishing attempts. (they do not say shopify.com or anything even close) One is supposed to go to the form and the other is supposed to go to Shopify's copyright and trademark information page. I'm leery of even clicking these to see what's up. Looks phishy.

Replies 9 (9)

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
1487 336 462

Consider forwarding any phishing messages that you receive to Shopify's safety inbox at safety@shopify.com.

Nick | Ecommerce & Marketing Technology Consultant | Toronto, CANADA
- For consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message or submit a ✍️Contact Form.
- For FREE Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube channel (▶️ Ecommerce TV).

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @daniel_long.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention here. When it comes to emails that you don't think are from Shopify, it is always better to err on the side of caution. I appreciate that you haven't clicked on any of the links, please don't until we look into this for you. For now, can you please let me know what the Sender's email address is? You should find this at the top of the email, above the subject line and date. Can you also let me know if you see a Shopify Mail ID at the bottom of the email? If so, you don't need to share the ID with me, just let me know if you see it. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you, so that we can continue to work on this together. 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

daniel_long
Explorer
56 0 15

I have resolved this through support chat. It is actually a legitimate email from the legal department. I requested that the chat support person please have them not send emails that look like phishing attempts. It has all the hallmarks of one; a little bit of store info, a dire threat (to shut me down) and a crazy URL.

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hi there, @daniel_long.

I appreciate you reaching out to our support team to verify and share your feedback. We value all feedback received, so please know that we are grateful. If there is anything else I can help with, don't hesitate to reach back out.

All the best, 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mehdi_elb
9 0 0

Did you send anything to them ? 

daniel_long
Explorer
56 0 15

I sent them the information they wanted.

mehdi_elb
9 0 0

I don't sell branded products and i don't have paperwork that allows to sell the items in my shop. what should i do now ?

daniel_long
Explorer
56 0 15

It's been too long. I don't remember the details of their request. In our case, our product name Clematis Warsaw Nike, was the reason they emailed. I carefully explained the name and the fact that Nike is the name of a goddess and many things throughout the world have been named after her, (including sneakers). I never heard back from them.

Did they mention a specific product or category? 

mehdi_elb
9 0 0
unfortunately no, they did not mention a specific product.