What is the best app for editing product photos on Shopify?

FreddieFitz
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi there, Can anyone advise on the best way to remove the background to product imagery. At the moment I take product imagery on my phone, download to my computer and then use adobe to edit the photo however this is time consuming and expensive.

Does anyone use an app where you can take photo on your phone, remove the background and upload directly to my Shopify page?

Does anyone find that blank background imagery performs better in terms of clicks and sales?

Thanks 

Replies 5 (5)

Mac
Shopify Staff
1642 167 258

Hi, @FreddieFitz!

Thanks for reaching out in our Community forums and sharing your concern. I’m happy to help out.

I understand that you are looking to remove the background of your product images. This is a great idea as it will allow your photos to be consistent and appealing to your customers. It’s suggested that you use a transparent version so that you don't have to worry about your product’s background clashing or competing with its surroundings. Feel free to check out this free background remover and upload your product images to get started. You can also check out the free Photoshop Mix application on mobile devices that offers similar functionality. Another important factor to consider is consistent product dimensions, this ensures that all of your photos are aligned and in an organized fashion.

I’d love to know more about your business! What type of products are you selling? How are your sales going? 

Kindly let me know if you have more questions and feel free to share any updates on this thread!

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

iambrianclark
Shopify Partner
21 3 13

I don't know of any Shopify apps that will automatically remove backgrounds, but there's a webapp that can do it here: https://www.remove.bg/

christaelrod
Tourist
7 1 1

Hi,

Using free tools, such as remove.bg, and removal.ai, is really useful when you perform simple photo edits. But removing complete backgrounds needs expertise. It is advised to seek the help of professionals if you are loaded with batches of images. If you need help in product background removal, don't hesitate to get in touch with us. We can provide a free trial to you so that you can check if we can work together. 

Get affordable support for product video editing, 3d product modeling, and ecommerce image enhancement.

VitaF
Shopify Partner
159 2 28

Hello!

White background images are the most popular imagery for product photos as it will help customers see the finer details of the images. To reduce time for editing, make sure you always shoot on a clear background - you can set up a white paper background or even a white sheet to help you achieve it. Although even with this approach, a little editing is still needed to get the best result.

But I wouldn't get too stuck with focusing on white background images. You can also use flat lay (that you often see on social media and that is great if you wish to set up social media shopping) and contextual images that show your products where they will be once customers will buy it from you, thus inspiring them to click the "purchase" button. 

Also, while well shot images can give a great overview of what you are selling, you should always organise your product description (for instance with HelpCenter App feature Tabs) so customers would quickly find all the relevant information.

Helpcenterapp

snapshot
Shopify Partner
5 1 1

For anyone reading this in future I built an app which does this for you. It lets you regenerate new backgrounds using AI and the results are impressive.

Check it out: https://apps.shopify.com/snapshot

sample-generations.png

Snapshot AI: High-converting product photos in seconds
apps.shopify.com/snapshot