Solved

Please, please please disable default 'restock item'. It's so fustrating

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

This is driving me nuts.

It's so easy to forget to uncheck the tiny box when refunding.

It's happened so often.

I refund a customer because an item was out of stock (yes, all my fault).

Item gets automatically re-stocked.

Automatic 'items in stock' messages go out to 100's of customers.

100's of angry emails from customers asking why it's not actually back in stock.... except 1 lucky customer who bought the re-stocked item.

Of course i have to send him a refund....

Obviously i miss the little check box again.

TURN IT OFF! Please. 

Accepted Solution (1)
Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @kate0908.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I'd be delighted to add you to this feature request and I hope this can help our developers with prioritizing this feature request in future releases. Please keep an eye on the Shopify Changelog for any changes or upcoming features. 

Since this feature request has been submitted and the next step is waiting for upcoming or future releases of the Shopify platform, then I'll be marking this reply as the solution for the benefit of others also looking for help with this topic. Cheers!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 26 (26)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Daviddbx.

This is Elias with Shopify Support. Thank you for sharing this feedback!

I understand that disabling the restock item by default when refunding an item can be beneficial for our merchants, like yourself, as not all exchanges or refunds would need restocking. Thanks to your detailed chain of events, I can also see how easy it can be to forget unchecking this box. For several reasons, I'd be happy to share your experience and feedback with our developers as a feature request. Though this isn't something that I'll be able to provide a timeline for; however, if Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to the refund processes - you can find it on our changelog or updates page. 

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51
Thankyou!
Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

Yep. Just done it again today.

I've already got a load of emails asking why they got a notification that they are back in stock but they're showing out of stock.

Please, just make it default to NOT re-stock. I've sure the vast majority of people in the vast majority of cases DO NOT want to re-stock.

I'll just go and start answering all those emails now.

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

And again. 😞

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Daviddbx.

Thank you for keeping me posted!

Sorry to hear that this happened again, and I wish there was more that we can do at this time. However, there isn't a way for us to expedite feature requests or platform changes. While it's commonly perceived that something like disabling a checkbox seems like a simple task, these changes can involve significant coding changes and overhauls to the platform. With that being said, when Shopify moves forward with any changes - we'll be sure to announce them on our changelog and updates page.

Thanks again for your patience and support. If you've any other questions on this topic, simply get back to me here!

luckycat248
Visitor
2 0 3

I 100% agree. Terrible idea to have this tick box checked as default. It causes me so many issues with inventory discrepencies

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @luckycat248.

Thank you for joining the thread. 

I understand how important it is to eliminate any inventory discrepancies that may be caused by the "restock item" box, and I'd be happy to add you to this feature request. I can definitely agree that it would be easier to manually restock an item when you forget to "restock item" as opposed to unintentionally restocking the item when forgetting to uncheck this box. As mentioned earlier in the thread, while I can provide a detailed feedback to our developers about your experiences, this wouldn't be something that I'll be able to provide an ETA on. However, please keep an eye out on our changelog and updates page for any upcoming platform changes. 

Do you often refund without restocking? Or, would you say most refunds require restocking?

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

Thanks for your reply to this. it's much appreciated.

I'd say that 50 - 75%  of the time i do not wish to re-stock an item, and like you have recognised, it's no trouble at all to add an item that was not re-stocked, but can be a real pain if i restock an item I no longer have!

Steven_Hoel
Visitor
2 0 3

I agree with this as well! Makes for many unhappy customers.

The best solution would be to let the store owner pick which default they want. I can see where it may be preferred by some store owners.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Steven_Hoel.

I understand how important this is for you and @Daviddbx. While I'm in agreement that this box should be something that gets decided by the store owners or disabled by default, I'm not sure when this change can be made nor confirm if it's just a few lines of coding. Nevertheless, to help everyone in this thread push for this change, I'll be adding you to this feature request as well. As more people make requests for a certain feature, it does help our developers prioritize these requests - so hopefully this will help. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Yourdecoration
Tourist
4 0 6

Hi Elias,

Also for us a big problem... 
I, as a merchant, should have a setting where I can set "Restock item" standard to enabled or disabled as the merchant prefer. With this solution everybody is happy?

Now our Cusomerservices forget many time to uncheck this box and another customer re-order the item because it is on stock... which is often not true and we have to disappoint this customer.
So please put me on the changelist for this item as well.

Kind regards,
Maurice

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @Yourdecoration.

I can totally understand where you're coming from and I'd be happy to add you to the list of requests. While I'm unable to provide a timeline for this, I do hope with more people requesting this feature that it will be more of a priority for our developers. That being said, if Shopify moves forward with any changes on this - we'll be sure to announce them on our changelog and/or updates page. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

jgalvin
Tourist
4 0 11

It is pretty obvious so many people want this change. It has been 8 months since this thread started and we just get canned responses from Shopify. It would be great if requests with such demand could get escalated. @Shopify 

Danielnz
Excursionist
34 0 17

I found this post when searching for a solution. I'm always forgetting to uncheck "restock" and always end up selling items I don't have. Please fix!

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

AAAAANNNNDDDDD Again!

I just automatically sent an 'item now in stock' message to dozens of customers waiting on an item that i don't have in stock, and sold the automatically re-stocked item to a customer i now have to refund and apologise to. FFS. Thanks a lot Shopify!!  It is so easy for you to disable this button being automatically set to 'on'. It must be 2 mins of work to change the code. I don't understand why you can't be bothered to change it.

fawnbalm
Visitor
1 0 3

yes this feature has caused so many problems!!!! Please, make the default unchecked, it's so stressful to deal with the chain reaction of events that follow such a simple checkbox!!

Richie_Ramone
Excursionist
27 0 108

Yep, add my name to those wishing for the default to not be ticked.
We are of course wasting our breath even asking.
Shopify will just continue to make cosmetic changes that aren't actually useful.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Greetings, @jgalvin@fawnbalm, & @Richie_Ramone.

Thank you all for joining the thread and providing the additional context!

I appreciate everyone's support for this feature request and I absolutely understand everyone's reason for demanding this change. While we don't have a definitive timeline for when feature requests are implemented, I can confirm that this request has been brought up and sent to our development team. Rest assured, I will also be adding the three of you to this feature request - as I hope this can help our developers prioritize the development of this feature. Please keep an eye on our changelog and updates page for any announcements on new features or platform changes. 

Cheers!

camu524
Visitor
1 0 3

I completely agree. We have a retail store and this feature is really frustrating. Customers will buy 20+ items and then come back and return 1 item and we have to go in and uncheck every single item except the 1 item they are returning.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @camu524.

Thank you for sharing the additional context!

I can definitely see how having to uncheck multiple items when a customer returns an item can be frustrating, especially when there are 20+ items in the order. That being said, I'd be happy to add you and the information you've shared to this feature request. If Shopify moves forward with these changes, you can find it on our changelog and/or updates page. 

Thank again for the feedback and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Cyclops1717
Excursionist
33 0 13

Hi @Elias 

Forgive me if that was already addressed in the thread, but could that be something we could manage on our own by editing the code? Or is that a core functionality that we do not have access to?

I completely understand this is out of your control and you are here to help. 

You might have noticed (LOL) that we would all rather spend some time editing code rather than unchecking boxes.

If this is not something we could do on our own, is that something the Dev team could do for each of us, even for a fee.

I got the Dev team to add functionality to my website. Just wondering if that could be resolved in a similar fashion.

Thank you for relaying our message (and frustration) to the Dev team and helping us out.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @Cyclops1717.

That's a great question! 

I'm afraid modifying the restock checkbox isn't something that can be managed by editing the code or paying for a customization on your website, as this function is a core part of the admin. Though this can be taken as a minor coding change, changes to the admin will likely require a significant platform update. 

That being said, I understand that this is an important change for you and in order to help our developers prioritize this feature request - I'd be happy to add you to the list. However, while I'm not able to provide an ETA, we'll be sure to announce any updates or changes to the Shopify platform on our changelog.

Thanks again for joining the thread! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

OMIETN
Visitor
1 0 3

Please add me to the list of people that would like this box "unchecked" by default.  It's very frustrating when we do a refund and it shows the item as back in stock when it isn't.  This causes us to be oversold and have to reach out to customers to substitute or cancel their orders.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @OMIETN.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing the additional context!

I understand that you're also looking to have the restock item box unchecked by default, as it's been causing some inventory issues for your store, and I'd be more than happy to add you to this feature request. As previously mentioned, if Shopify moves forward with any changes in this regard, then we'll be sure to announce them on the Shopify Changelog.

Thanks again for getting in touch and if you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

kate0908
Visitor
1 0 4

Please add me to the list of people that would like this box "unchecked" by default. Our company is experiencing similar issues.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @kate0908.

I'd be delighted to add you to this feature request and I hope this can help our developers with prioritizing this feature request in future releases. Please keep an eye on the Shopify Changelog for any changes or upcoming features. 

Since this feature request has been submitted and the next step is waiting for upcoming or future releases of the Shopify platform, then I'll be marking this reply as the solution for the benefit of others also looking for help with this topic. Cheers!