Possible to Exclude certain products from Free Shipping rule?

John_Stanowski
Tourist
5 0 4

I was wondering if there is a way to offer Free Shipping using a price-based rule, but at the same time be able to EXCLUDE certain products or certain collections from that rule.

I see it's been discussed a lot in the past but having gone through all of that, I haven't found a good answer on this yet.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good app that can do this? 

Replies 10 (10)
Alex23
Shopify Staff (Retired)
521 1 106

Hey, John!

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

Totally understand your frustration here - Shopify's rates are based on either weight or price, so it can be tricky when you need to make sure particular items are included and exclude others.  One tactic that's worked well for some of our merchants is introducing a weight based free rate for an extremely low amount, and price based rates for everything else.  You could change your product weights for free shipping items to be beneath that limit - this would allow the free shipping rate for items that don't exceed the price limit and aren't within the collection of products you'd like to charge for regularly.

As Shopify currently doesn't support shipping rates for individual products or collections, we do have some apps that can help, if that workaround isn't going to meet your needs.  They require the carrier calculated shipping feature to work, but if that feature's not included in your plan as-is, any of us support gurus can add that on a la carte for $20 per month - just reach out to us to discuss it!  Better Shipping and Advanced Shipping Rules are very popular choices amongst our merchants.

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to let me know, and you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time.  We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

Alex | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

John_Stanowski
Tourist
5 0 4

Thanks, I can't change the weights though because a customer who doesn't reach the free shipping total order price threshold will still need the order properly calculated for shipping.

I will check out the 2 apps you mentioned. Thanks for that.
I hope at least one will work, else I think I'm going to have to bail out and run back to Volusion with my tail tucked in. :P

SharonReeds
Shopify Partner
191 6 57

Hey John,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party here lol

The shipping calculation app that my husband and I created, Intuitive Shipping, is also capable of your desired shipping set up. With it, you can create unlimited shipping scenarios to tailor your rates exactly how you need. 

What is your shipping set up if they spend under the free shipping threshold amount? I notice you sell varying items like figurines (heavy and fragile) and plush toys (light and not fragile) so I'm just curious how you've covered your bases for all possible cart combinations.

I recommend setting up a 'shipping info' area on  your site. This takes the guess work out of where you ship, when you ship, how much it costs to ship etc. which can increase conversion. 

Warm regards,
Sharon Reeds

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
rezaul
Tourist
26 0 2

John, from a native solution approach, here's an option to consider based on your requirement below:

"I was wondering if there is a way to offer Free Shipping using a price-based rule, but at the same time be able to EXCLUDE certain products or certain collections from that rule."

1. Create a collection of products that qualify for this free shipping offer, call it "free-shipping-products" for this example.

2. Create a discount code with Free Shipping, set the collection to "free-shipping-products", set a minimum order amount that needs to be met before they qualify.  Apply it to entire order.  Set any other seettings you like.

This will NOT be applied automatically at checkout.  The customer will need to enter the discount code.  For this, you can promote the offer on the homepage, or top bar with the discount code.

Good luck.

Toronto, Canada | e-commerce enthusiast | Just helping the community
SharonReeds
Shopify Partner
191 6 57

Thanks, Rezaul! I'll keep this in mind when we're doing support (we 'turn away' and educate merchants who can do their set up in default Shopify). 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
rezaul
Tourist
26 0 2

np sharon, your app looks neat btw.

Toronto, Canada | e-commerce enthusiast | Just helping the community
Godwin_Chan
1 0 0

Hi Rezaul,

I tried your suggested method but when I go to discount and create a "Free Shipping" discount, the option for applying to product collection disappeared. That option only shows up in $ discount or % discount. How can I get the product collection to show up when I choose "Free Shipping"? Thank you!

laddyfirst
Tourist
3 0 2

I am already currently using the discount voucher as suggested. But there is no option for me to choose which collection I don't want to include in the free shipping discount. As the collection is actually things that are sold at a very low price or even below cost.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

SagarikaDas
Shopify Partner
183 14 62

Hey @laddyfirst 

I would like to suggest a perfect app for your requirement: iCart Upsell App (with 60 days FREE trial - BFCM deal)

Using this app you can create all types of discounts:

• Free Shipping
  • Percentage Discount
  • Fixed amount discount
  • Free gift/product with purchase
  • Discount with Free shipping
  • Discount with Countdown timer

You can also exclude products by entering the product tags. There are many more features available in the app you should give it a try!

Sagarika Das | iCart Team
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!