pre-checked box shipping method prohibited by law, possible to uncheck this by default?

pre-checked box shipping method prohibited by law, possible to uncheck this by default?

Robin95
4 0 0

Hello there,

Earlier this week (26 march 2024) I received a letter from the Belgian Goverment (Federal public service economics), in this letter I received a warning about the following issue:

The paying option "shipping" is pre-checked during the ordering procedure, while free "collection" is also an option. For any additional payment in respect of the main obligation, the company must provide the express
request the consumer's consent. Pre-checked paying options are therefore prohibited.

Robin95_0-1711996387908.png

If we do not solve this, we will receive a fine (within 15 days). The amount of the fine will be determined by the judge and varies between 208 and 80,000 euros. which is a lot of money. So I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar before. And how they solved this problem

I'm looking for a solution where the boxes are not checked. So the customer has to choose shipping or pick-up. Because if we indicate pick-up as standard, I expect that many customers will contact us after ordering that they want to ship there order.

I don't think calculating our shipping costs in our products is the solution. Since we have more than 1000 products and we need to be able to compete with other companies. By charging our shipping costs, we can always offer competitive prices on our products. Usually the costumer has no problem paying for shipping costs.

Thanks in advance!

Helping Shopify users to improve there store.
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
Replies 3 (3)

YOD_Solutions
Shopify Partner
220 23 31

How about showing the pickup as a shipping rate option for delivery addresses within a certain distance radius? In other words, removing the Shopify pickup option and including the free pickup option in the shipping rates list - so you will not have the default delivery and pickup options displayed at checkout.

If this solution sounds ok, we can help you setup your shipping rates with our app JsRates. The idea is if the delivery address is within a certain radius, your shipping rate includes a free pickup option. You can also replicate you existing rates on our app.  If you are keen, please install the app and reach to our support team via "contact support" in the app for free setup service. The app has a free demo plan.  Please note that you will need third-part carrier calculated shipping rate activated on your store to use JsRates at checkout.

Founder @ JsRates: Custom Shipping Rates
- To learn more about JsRates visit the JsRates home page or JsRates documentation
- Find JsRates on Shopify app store

Van_Nguyen_GSG
Shopify Partner
149 23 40

Hi Robin,

This can only be solved if you're on Shopify Plus, otherwise it requires an app. Shopify Functions, checkout extensions require Shopify Plus if not packaged as part of an app.

Helping Shopify merchants build stores that convert.
- If you still need help, feel free to reach out to me at: van@glue.sg
Cheers!

Robin95
4 0 0

Yea I know there is shopify plus and apps and they come with a pricetag. but I am realy disappointed that they are offering a software but this software is not following the Belgian and European law ...

Helping Shopify users to improve there store.