Problem submitting Sitemap to Google

RC18
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello,

I submitted the sitemap to Google on Nov 24,2018 and it says 'sitemap could not be read'. I added the "/sitemap.xml" to the end of my url but it just says 'couldn't fetch'. My website has the .myshopify.com. Does that prevent my site from being indexed through the sitemap?

I have read and re-read the help pages as well as this forum on how to submit a sitemap and cannot figure out the problem.

Would appreciate some insight.

Thank you 

Replies 15 (15)

dlevens
Explorer
58 0 23

did you ever get your issue resolved? I am having the exact same issue. 

RC18
Tourist
3 0 2

No. I just indexed the site manually through Google Console. From what I've read Shopify nor Goggle want to help much.

dlevens
Explorer
58 0 23

In my case I submitted the sitemap.xml and it said couldn't fetch for about a week, then it just started working. The error seems misleading. The old console showed no error, just said pending. I think for whatever reason the new console shows a misleading error.

Josh_Uebergang
Shopify Expert
1012 43 269

What is the URL of the website in Google Search Console? I presume you've successfully verified it given you are trying to submit the sitemap.

I have never tried to submit a sitemap for a myshopify.com (having done over a hundreds for stores with their own domains.)

I would say just buy your own domain. They cost very little these days, are important for branding, and will help other marketing.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
business55417
Visitor
1 0 0

Can any one help? Google not indexing my website. Error fetching sitemap. What do I do? I created a blog post as suggested but this didn't work either. Please help!

Goleemart
Visitor
1 0 0

Goleemart_0-1676865663538.png

I just got a domain name and the sitemap was indexed in seconds. It is definitely a problem with the "....myshopify.com" ending.

What was frustrating was all the help pages on "How to Send your Sitemap"  from Shopify are with the ."..myshopify.com" ending which is misleading because it doesn't work. I just wasted time and money. But all is resolved.

Ninebot
Tourist
3 0 4

Hey mate I have found a fix for your issue, as I had a similar problem with my electric kick scooter site. Go to shopify admin -> domains -> and check what domain you have listed and that it matches with the one registered in Google Search Console. My issue was that I registered the WWW.domain.com version of my domain in GSC, but the HTTPS://domain.com version in shopify. Just change them so they match and you'll be all good to go!

JStevens
5 0 0

Thank you! Your suggestion worked!

cbarklem
Tourist
3 0 5

I am getting regular "Sitemap could not be read" on either the main /sitemap.xml as well as each of the /sitemap_products_X.xml?from=X&to=X.

This is a major pain and from what I understand it is due to load speed. Combine that with the weekly change frequency (that can not be altered) and your left with your site never ever getting over 60% indexing (in my case).

Would be nice if a solution (on shopify side or shop owner side) could be found.

YasseinM
Visitor
1 0 0

This solution fixed my sıtemap issue. Thanks a lot.

kelbain
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi! Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue. and I cant seem to find any answers on google. Go figure. So frustrating!

ak2501
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, did your issue got resolved?

RC18
Tourist
3 0 2

I just got a domain name and the sitemap was indexed in seconds. It is definitely a problem with the "....myshopify.com" ending.

What was frustrating was all the help pages on "How to Send your Sitemap"  from Shopify are with the ."..myshopify.com" ending which is misleading because it doesn't work. I just wasted time and money. But all is resolved.

SimonWang
Visitor
1 0 0

What kind of sitemap did you provide to GC? Is the one auto generated by Shopify or you just create it by yourself? I used to have a similar issue when submitting a self-made sitemap for my page RELX.

outdoorbengal
Visitor
3 0 1

What worked for me was submitting the Sitemap myself. Go to Search Console Sitemaps and copy the SHOPIFY Sitemap there and click SUBMIT: ie https://www.outdoorbengal.com/sitemap.xml

It worked for me, hoping it works for you too! https://www.YOURSITEDOMAINHERE.com/sitemap.xml