Problem with language in a specific market, can't edit content

Problem with language in a specific market, can't edit content

Patrik_Amaral
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello,

I've recently added an additional language, Finnish, to our store. Our main language is English, and I've successfully completed the translation and published it. However, I'm encountering an issue.

In the UI editor, when I change the Default Market to Finnish, the default language displayed is still English. When I change the language to Finnish from the footer language selector, I get the translated content, but I can't edit anything. It just says, "Your store's primary language is English. To customize content in Finnish, use a translation app." I noticed this when the header button changed to default text, and I can't edit it.

Here are a few screenshots to illustrate what I mean:

When I go to editor everything is as it should, in English

Patrik_Amaral_1-1701092721376.png

I changed to Finnish, but everything is still in English

Patrik_Amaral_2-1701092891493.png

I change language to Finnish form footer:

Patrik_Amaral_3-1701093037768.png

After selecting Finnish form footer I get the translations but can edit only from translation app. I can't edit the CTA-button that has a default text

Patrik_Amaral_4-1701093311476.png

Shouldn't I be able to add market-specific content and elements specific to the Finnish market?

Replies 11 (11)

Patrik_Amaral
Visitor
2 0 0

In response to my own question about the CTA button and market customization, I've made progress on both fronts.

Firstly, I located the correct CTA button text within the translations

Concerning market area personalization, it seems that you need to make customizations in default language that is in my case English, allow it to appear in translation, and subsequently perform the translation into the preferred language.

In conclusion customization affects all languages within a market area, not just one specific language. In other words, you'll need to make these customizations in all languages for a particular market.

vivalamor
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Patrik, we had default language set English and we made some translations into Slovak language which are now connected to English language. Can you help us how to correct it? Many thanks 

rom_co
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hello, I'm dealing with the same issue. Have you managed to solve it somehow? I have the default language set to English and a Hungarian market where the language is only in Hungarian, and I don't have the option to edit the template separately for the Hungarian market. Thank you.

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1885 211 337

Hi there, @rom_co. Thanks for following up on this thread! I recommend that you take some time to check out our Translation and Localization resources we have available in our Help Center so you can get some assistance with making this change! We have a page here that acts as a solid starting point. Hungarian is a language that can be translated using a CSV file, or even by using our 'Translate and Adapt' application. That mostly recently linked page actually includes a section on how to add custom content to a specific market, so I think you'll find that helpful!

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

rom_co
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thank you for the advice, but translation is not exactly what I need. I need to have different sections for the Hungarian market, which isn't a matter of translations. For the Hungarian market, I don't have the option to customize the product template unless I also use the default language, which is English. If I have both Hungarian and English languages for the Hungary market, modifying the template works fine. However, if I remove the English language and leave only Hungarian (I have the translation), I lose the ability to edit the template.

To clarify, I'm talking about this feature:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/themes/customizing-themes/store-contextualization

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1885 211 337

Thanks for following up! Following up with the link you provided there, are you unable to use contexts to make changes to your theme specifically to the Hungarian Market? I see this information listed in our Help document:

All of your markets are displayed in the Context drop-down menu. You can select a market to make changes that apply only to that specific context.

Following further along with that help document, it appears that you could be able to add sections via a 'Section Override' for the Hungarian context. You can also re-arrange the order of the sections appearing using an override in the desired context, as well. Are there changes that you're trying to make that aren't supported by these context overrides?

rom_co
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

As I mentioned above, it is possible to modify sections in the Hungarian market but only if I have English and Hungarian language in this  Hungarian market. Then, I can make changes to the sections. However, if I remove the English language from the Hungarian market and leave only Hungarian, I lose the ability to edit the sections in any way.

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1885 211 337

That sounds a bit counter to what the Help Document outlines. I recommend that you reach out to our Authenticated Support Team via our AI Assistant so we can get some account specific information from you, explore things on the backend, and get in touch with our Escalated Teams regarding the situation.

olena612
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I have the same issue as Rom_co had. If I have English and Italian language in Italian market I can modify sections. When I remove English language from Italian market I have two messages (see below) on the left side panel of the Italy context  and no possibility to add or delete sections or edit content. How this issue can be solved?

italian market.png

alex411
Visitor
2 0 0

Exact same issue. Unable to edit content. Primary market is French only, second market is English only. I need to add the French language to the second market to be able to change the layout, which doesn't make sense. I don't want to add French to the second market. Is there news on this issue?

Victoria
Shopify Staff
2274 154 262

Hi there, @alex411.

Thank you for joining the thread!

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing similar issues on your end. I encourage you to reach out to our authenticated Support, so we can take a more detailed look into this. Through our community forum, we are unable to access your account to investigate.

Let us know if you have any questions navigating the Help Center.

Victoria | Shopify