processing refunds when customer have changed bank details

Solved
JoDGT
2 0 2

Hi, we've had a couple of instances where we have tried to process a refund for customers then they've come back to us afterwards and said they have changed their bank details. They therefore didn't receive the refund. How can we update the customer's bank details via Shopify and re-send the refunds? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Shay
Shopify Staff
516 85 99

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @JoDGT 

This is a common question I see and I understand that you want to ensure your customers have a great experience with your store, even during a refund process. 

To prevent fraud, almost all payment processors (online or in person) will not allow a refund to be returned to a card/account different then the one that was used to make the purchase. This goes for Shopify Payments as well. 

If the customer has changed their card or closed and opened a new bank account during this process, the money is returned to bank that managed their original account. From there, it is the customers responsibility to contact their bank about the incoming refund and ask for the funds to be redirected to their new account or paid out to them in person by the teller. 

Please do not refund a customer through an outside means or anything like that as it is not tracked within the order details. This leaves the order open to a chargeback claim still if the customer is doing this to commit chargeback fraud with your store. 

If you have additional questions about this please let me know. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)
Shay
Shopify Staff
516 85 99

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @JoDGT 

This is a common question I see and I understand that you want to ensure your customers have a great experience with your store, even during a refund process. 

To prevent fraud, almost all payment processors (online or in person) will not allow a refund to be returned to a card/account different then the one that was used to make the purchase. This goes for Shopify Payments as well. 

If the customer has changed their card or closed and opened a new bank account during this process, the money is returned to bank that managed their original account. From there, it is the customers responsibility to contact their bank about the incoming refund and ask for the funds to be redirected to their new account or paid out to them in person by the teller. 

Please do not refund a customer through an outside means or anything like that as it is not tracked within the order details. This leaves the order open to a chargeback claim still if the customer is doing this to commit chargeback fraud with your store. 

If you have additional questions about this please let me know. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

JoDGT
2 0 2

Hi Shay, thanks for your reply this has been really helpful as we haven't encountered this issue before. Thanks for your time.