Product Options and Variants

Solved
blankfishingrod
1 0 0

Hey everyone! 

I have a question about product options and variants. To make things simple, I sell blank fishing rods through my shopify store. An option that we have for our blanks is to coat the blanks a color like clear, blue, purple and green at an additional cost. I understand that I can create an option for this as a "color" and the variants would be the color options, like clear, blue, purple and green. However, when doing this shopify creates those variants as additional skus which makes things more complicated from an inventory stand point. 

Ideally, there would be a drop down menu with each of the coating options with a price next to the color indicating the additional cost. 

There is an app that might do this for us, but I thought I'd ask the community to see if someone else has gone through something similar. 

Thank you! 

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1435 138 324

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @blankfishingrod,

Thanks for getting in touch with your question. You are correct in saying that if you offer these colour options Shopify will display variant-level fields, such as price and SKU. If you do not wish to issue specific SKU numbers for variants you do not have to and can leave that field blank.

One alternative option you can consider is using a custom product app, of which there are many on the Shopify App Store. Apps such as Infinite Options allow you to list these different colour options without having them listed as individual variants in the back end, and may prove to be a more appropriate option for you when it comes to inventory management and reporting. I would recommend giving some of these apps a try to see if they suit your needs.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1435 138 324

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @blankfishingrod,

Thanks for getting in touch with your question. You are correct in saying that if you offer these colour options Shopify will display variant-level fields, such as price and SKU. If you do not wish to issue specific SKU numbers for variants you do not have to and can leave that field blank.

One alternative option you can consider is using a custom product app, of which there are many on the Shopify App Store. Apps such as Infinite Options allow you to list these different colour options without having them listed as individual variants in the back end, and may prove to be a more appropriate option for you when it comes to inventory management and reporting. I would recommend giving some of these apps a try to see if they suit your needs.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

shopfy-2020
Shopify Partner
42 2 7

Honestly, no one should have to pay extra monthly fees and install apps to have basic functional features to list products in variants or options to work.... That's what they pay Shopify fees for.