Solved

Product Weight Questions

cinscity
Visitor
2 0 2

Do you suggest adding the product weight for each product? Or can I skip the weight, and just weigh the entire package when it comes to shipping, since I intend on offering flat rate shipping?

Accepted Solution (1)

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 220

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @cinscity! Welcome to Shopify Community!

If you offer flat-rate shipping to your customers, it's not necessary to enter the product weight of each product. The product weight is crucial when you offer weight-based rates or calculated rates as the weight is used to determine the shipping rate appropriate to the customer's order.

You can still add the product weight for your own reference if it helps streamline your fulfillment process, but it will not have an effect on your flat-rate shipping. If you need a guide in adding the product weight, you can follow the steps below.

1. In your Shopify admin, go to Products > All products.
  2. Click the title of the product that you want to add weight to.
  3. Scroll down to the Shipping section.
    • If the product has variants, you'll need to click one of the variants in the Variant section to see the Shipping section.
  4. Enter the weight under Weight. 

alt

5. Click Save.

You can also do this by bulk by following the guide on this page.

Great choice of shipping strategy! Flat rate shipping can be really beneficial for your business as having a fixed amount for shipping can be attractive to customers. It's straightforward and upfront – customers know what to expect when reaching the shipping page at checkout and they can shop with ease knowing the shipping rate won't change no matter how much they have in their cart. This is an effective selling point so make sure to use this as marketing material. If you run ads, let your audience know you have fixed shipping and they only pay a certain shipping rate regardless of the number of items they purchase. You can also let website visitors and customers know about your strategy by adding a fixed shipping badge (through an app such as this one) to your product pages. It may not seem like it, but shipping can affect sales in your store so feel free to take advantage of the benefits of offering flat rate shipping!

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Anindita
Shopify Partner
675 34 94

When estimating shipping expenses as a merchant, you must consider both your budget and the demands of your customers. Charging too little can result in a loss for you. Even charging too much may result in you losing business to the competition. As a result, utilizing product weight to compute shipping charges is one of the best ways to charge accurate fees. This will increase trust and consumer loyalty, resulting in greater sales.

However, if you intend to offer flat-rate delivery, you must determine the approximate shipping cost depending on the weight of your products. It is a better option if you are shipping products with a specific weight whereas if you are shipping products with varied weight, weight-based shipping rates are ideal. You can check PluginHive’s Multi Carrier Shipping Label App that allows you to get weight-based as well as weight & dimensions-based shipping rates and even configure flat rates.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 220

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @cinscity! Welcome to Shopify Community!

If you offer flat-rate shipping to your customers, it's not necessary to enter the product weight of each product. The product weight is crucial when you offer weight-based rates or calculated rates as the weight is used to determine the shipping rate appropriate to the customer's order.

You can still add the product weight for your own reference if it helps streamline your fulfillment process, but it will not have an effect on your flat-rate shipping. If you need a guide in adding the product weight, you can follow the steps below.

1. In your Shopify admin, go to Products > All products.
  2. Click the title of the product that you want to add weight to.
  3. Scroll down to the Shipping section.
    • If the product has variants, you'll need to click one of the variants in the Variant section to see the Shipping section.
  4. Enter the weight under Weight. 

alt

5. Click Save.

You can also do this by bulk by following the guide on this page.

Great choice of shipping strategy! Flat rate shipping can be really beneficial for your business as having a fixed amount for shipping can be attractive to customers. It's straightforward and upfront – customers know what to expect when reaching the shipping page at checkout and they can shop with ease knowing the shipping rate won't change no matter how much they have in their cart. This is an effective selling point so make sure to use this as marketing material. If you run ads, let your audience know you have fixed shipping and they only pay a certain shipping rate regardless of the number of items they purchase. You can also let website visitors and customers know about your strategy by adding a fixed shipping badge (through an app such as this one) to your product pages. It may not seem like it, but shipping can affect sales in your store so feel free to take advantage of the benefits of offering flat rate shipping!

cinscity
Visitor
2 0 2

Thank you for your help!

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 220

@cinscity My pleasure! Don't hesitate to post again if you have other questions!

Johnny724
Excursionist
40 3 12

There is no shipping section on my product.