Referral program, customer segment or group, tags

Referral program, customer segment or group, tags

Harlley
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Dear shopify community.

Im looking for solution to my idea. Just recently I did start to cooperate with a person who is going to refer customers to my shop – lets name him John. The way how is this is going to work is as follows.

John doesn’t use internet to attract customers he refer them to my shop in person.

• John is going to receive flyers with special discount code for example JOHN10 that will allow customer to buy product in my shopify store with 10% discount. Then I know that this customer was referred to my store by John
  • Before fulfilment of this order I would see that customer use discount code JOHN10 and I will be able to add tag to this customer JOHN_REFERRAL
  • At the end of the month I would like to pay 5% commission to John for every transaction.
  • The only option that I could track Johns customers are tag’s at the moment shopify  (shopify basic plan) doesn’t allow me to create any reports based on tags.
  • I could create segment of customers but again shopify doesn’t allow me to create any reports based on the segment
  • Is there any other way to group John’s referrals together in a group and calculate John’s profit?

Most of affiliate apps works on links or codes but John’s referrals are going to use discount code only once and after that they need to be added to group/segment of John referrals.

I hope that make sense 😊.

Replies 3 (3)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2313 211 615

What if you did this:

1. Tag John's orders

2. On the 1st of the month, filter those orders by tag (Shopify orders page) then export all those orders to .csv

3. Import the order.csv into Google Sheets

4. Calculate the sum of order total (or subtotal, whichever metric you want to base the 5% on)

5. If you want to share reports with John, you can remove the columns of non-relevant or sensitive information

The outcome would be a spreadsheet showing something like order date, products ordered, discount code used, order total. And then a row showing the calculated total of orders that month and another row showing John's commission.

If you're not familiar with spreadsheet calculations, you can do something like this: SUM(A1:A1000) in the cell to calculate the sum of a column

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Figure Out Why You're Not Getting Sales
Harlley
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, this is not a viable solution. For instance, if Patricia places an order and uses the discount code JOHN10, I will know that she is John's customer and can filter her from the .csv report. However, if Patricia places another order in two months, I won't remember that she belongs to John. Therefore, I am looking for a way to permanently tag customers (like Patricia) so that I can generate a report and filter them in Excel. While I can work around this in Excel using functions and macros, I am wondering if there is an easier solution.

tobebuilds
Shopify Partner
324 19 88

Hi Harlley,

If you want to automatically tag any customer who used the JOHN10 discount, then you can use Shopify Flow (an official free app from Shopify).

You can add a workflow that:

• Runs when an order is paid
  • Checks if the title of any discount application is "JOHN10"
  • If so, adds the tag "JOHN_REFERRAL" to the customer

Your Flow will look something like this:

tobebuilds_0-1719435156987.png

(But "my-discount" should be "JOHN10" in your use case, and "used-my-discount" should be "JOHN_REFERRAL.")

If you've never used Shopify Flow, you might find the above instructions confusing.

This is a Loom video I recorded 2 months ago, involving using a combination of Shopify Flow and my app for a different use case, but from 1:00-2:47, I demonstrate how to set the Shopify Flow up.

https://www.loom.com/share/e9e3e272d30646cc854df05a3040de62

I just want to make it clear: you do not need to use my app in order to set this Flow up, it's just that the video was originally sent to my existing customers, which is why it's mentioned there.

If you have any questions about this, just reply, and I'll be happy to help.

Best,

Tobe