Solved

Can Metafields Be Reordered in Shopify's Store Admin UI?

timd
Shopify Expert
121 6 74

Is there any way to reorder metafields in the store admin UI?

And now that metafields are 'officially' supported, it still doesn't seem that exporting/importing products including metafields is supported, is that right?

Both of these a pretty basic features that I would've hoped would be released with the initial launch of Shopify's metafields feature this year.
Having the ability to reorder would be a huge help to make the UI on products pages make sense to clients

Accepted Solution (1)

Milkbottlelough
Shopify Partner
26 5 34

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @timd 

It is possible to reorder the native metafields in Shopify but it's a bit hacky.  I don't get why reordering wasn't thrown in as part of the first release of this feature we've all been screaming for since 2014.  With all of Shopify's React ninja skills a simple drag and drop UI would have been the cherry on this metafield-flavoured cake.  Onwards to Unite 2022's announcements!

Anyway, the trick to doing this is to unpin everything and then pin each item in the reverse order you need to display them.  After pinning an item hit refresh and then pin your next item, hit refresh and so on.

For example, if you have three metafields called:

Extra product info 1

Extra product info 2

Extra product info 3

and you want to display them in that order at the bottom of the admin product page you would unpin everything, hit refresh, then pin "Extra product info 3", hit refresh, then pin "Extra product info 2", hit refresh, then pin "Extra product info 1" and hit refresh.  If your list is longer than 5 or 6 items you may also want to take two valium after you have completed the task because if you mess up the sequence you will have to start again.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

Replies 11 (11)

MS-WEB-DESIGNER
Shopify Partner
3012 181 484

Dear @timd 

Yes it can be be. Are you using any meta fields app?

timd
Shopify Expert
121 6 74

No I've just been using Shopify's native functionality

drakedev
Shopify Partner
685 148 229

Yes, it is quite annoying, but at the moment is seems not possible re-order custom metafields.

If my answer was helpful click Like to say thanks
If the problem is solved remember to click Accept Solution
Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development: You can hire me for simple and/or complex tasks.
timd
Shopify Expert
121 6 74

This is a shame, its such a basic feature that I would have hoped would make a v1 release. Hopefully they are working on this

mvuljevas
Tourist
7 1 3

Just like @drakedev mentioned, change the order of native metafields is actually not supported, hoping that this is implemented in the near future, next quarter.

Mauricio Vuljevas

Milkbottlelough
Shopify Partner
26 5 34

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @timd 

It is possible to reorder the native metafields in Shopify but it's a bit hacky.  I don't get why reordering wasn't thrown in as part of the first release of this feature we've all been screaming for since 2014.  With all of Shopify's React ninja skills a simple drag and drop UI would have been the cherry on this metafield-flavoured cake.  Onwards to Unite 2022's announcements!

Anyway, the trick to doing this is to unpin everything and then pin each item in the reverse order you need to display them.  After pinning an item hit refresh and then pin your next item, hit refresh and so on.

For example, if you have three metafields called:

Extra product info 1

Extra product info 2

Extra product info 3

and you want to display them in that order at the bottom of the admin product page you would unpin everything, hit refresh, then pin "Extra product info 3", hit refresh, then pin "Extra product info 2", hit refresh, then pin "Extra product info 1" and hit refresh.  If your list is longer than 5 or 6 items you may also want to take two valium after you have completed the task because if you mess up the sequence you will have to start again.

Hope that helps!

CTCOnline
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Shout out for workaround solution. Thankyou.

JeremyMD
Visitor
2 0 0

Solved:  LOL 😅

Milkbottlelough
Shopify Partner
26 5 34

Good news folks, metafield re-ordering is now a much easier and more pleasant user experience :-). Right on to Shopify for sorting out this small but really important bit of front-end sugar in the Admin...

metafields.jpg

JeremyMD
Visitor
2 0 0

OMG 😍

moxiesozo
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

IF you keep your pinned items to less than 20 then you can re-order them.  
I hit 21 after re-factoring code to not use a custom app... and what a bust. 
I would recommend that you keep using a custom field app. Weaving in new metaobjects can help, but it is definitely not a home-run on the Shopify Team. Maybe another year and we will be able to stick to native.