Request for Action Regarding Potential Fraudulent Store on Shopify and Shop App

Jimmy_j
Visitor
2 0 1

Dear Shopify and Shop Support Team,

To begin, I would like you to note that In my effort to address this issue, I have already filed a report through the AUP report section on your website, yet I was directed to wait 30 days before I could report the order. This directive is concerning, especially when there seems to be little hope of recovering my funds in a potentially fraudulent situation. It is disconcerting that customers are expected to endure such a lengthy period before being able to report and potentially rectify a situation that clearly demands immediate attention

I am writing to you with a matter of urgent concern regarding a recent shopping experience on the Shop app that has raised serious doubts about the legitimacy of a store claiming to be "Vanquish Fitness." As a long-time customer of the genuine Vanquish Fitness (URL: https://www.vqfit.com), I was excited to use my Shop cash to purchase from what I believed was the official Vanquish store through your app.

Upon searching for Vanquish Fitness in the Shop app, the first store option presented (which I emphasize for its significance in this situation) displayed an array of products identical to those on the official website. Trusting this representation, I made two separate orders, each containing two items, amounting to approximately $100.

However, my confidence was shaken when I revisited the Shop app to check my order status. The store's logo differed from the familiar Vanquish logo, leading me to investigate further. The store's URL (https://vanquish1101.myshopify.com) raised immediate red flags. It became evident that this store has replicated elements from the official Vanquish site, including product images and descriptions. Further, the contact information provided is suspicious - an out-of-service phone number, an unrelated and invalid email address, and a residential address in Ohio. Most concerningly, I can no longer access this store through the Shop app, receiving an error message instead.

Given these alarming discoveries, I kindly request the following actions:

1. Verification of the store's legitimacy and assurance that my orders will be fulfilled with authentic products. I placed these orders in good faith a few days ago, yet there has been no update on the status.
  2. Should this store be fraudulent, I request a full refund to my Visa Prepaid card. It is unsettling that a potentially deceptive store appeared first in the Shop app search, a flaw that should not penalize consumers. I believe there should be a guarantee of product delivery or a refund in such scenarios.
  3. If found to be fraudulent, I urge the immediate removal of this store from your platforms. Hosting potentially harmful stores undermines consumer trust and safety. Furthermore, the priority placement of dubious stores in search results is a grave concern that needs addressing to prevent future scams.
Replies 4 (4)

beauxbreaux
Shopify Partner
218 15 32

Hey Jimmy,

I had a similar problem not that long ago with another site. Shopify really wont do anything about it. You will need to report the site to the FBI online division. It is incredibly fast to do so. 

You can do that here: https://www.ic3.gov/

I also would report the site on BBB as fraud as well. This may take a long while for the site to be taken down but it eventually does. I would also go to the owners of the real site of Vanquish Fitness and let them know so they can send out a cease and desist letter to them.

Beaux Barker
Developer
Hire me on Fiverr
Jimmy_j
Visitor
2 0 1

While I appreciate your suggestions regarding reporting the fraudulent site to the FBI and the BBB, I want to emphasize the role of Shop and Shopify in this situation.

The core of my issues lies in the fact that Shop, as a platform, inadvertently facilitated my encounter with a fraudulent store. While it is important to address the fraudulent store directly, it is equally crucial to hold the platform accountable for allowing such entities to operate and be featured prominently, leading unsuspecting customers like myself to fall prey to scams.

My intention to report Shop and Shopify to the BBB and other agencies stems from their failure to provide a safe, reliable shopping environment. As a consumer, I relied on the platform's vetting process to ensure the legitimacy of its merchants. The platform's inability to distinguish between legitimate and fraudulent stores, especially when such stores are given prominence, and literally appear first, in search results, constitutes a significant lapse in their duty to protect consumers.

This issue goes beyond an individual fraudulent merchant; it reflects a systemic problem within the platform that requires immediate attention and rectification. Therefore, my actions are aimed at urging Shop and Shopify to improve their verification processes and take responsibility for the role they play in such incidents.

beauxbreaux
Shopify Partner
218 15 32

My situation was a little different as the site I used was not on Shop but was created with Shopify. I agree though, if they are listing the site within their 'marketplace', they should be vetting stores. I do know they remove stores from Shop if 1% of sales causes chargebacks. This is really all I know of what they are doing currently to vet and it isn't really a great way to do it as many of us get chargebacks from people defrauding us as a buyer. 

Beaux Barker
Developer
Hire me on Fiverr
Brandonrclarke
Visitor
2 0 0

Did you ever find an appropriate way to report this? I too believe that Shop/Shopify should be held accountable. Using their platform someone was just able to steal from me as well, and the Shop app was more than willing to facilitate the fraudulent transaction.