Returns and Exchanges

Solved
JadaGarland
5 0 0

Hello, I opened my online boutique a little over a week ago and had my first return. The customer just wanted to exchange the item for a larger size. I did not see an option for just an exchange (I'm pretty sure there is I just didn't see it at the time) so I went ahead a processed a return without a refund so that I could just send the item in a larger size. I wasn't sure how to get make a shipping label without creating an order so i created an order and marked it as paid. Everything will be fine for the customer, but this adds money to my total sales that shouldn't be there. How can I remove that order/money from my sales? 

0 Likes
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
347 68 68

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @JadaGarland 

Thank you for reaching out about this exchange you created on your store. I understand that you accidently have this order tracked as being paid for twice. I can help you resolve that and also provide you the steps to exchange an order in the future. 

To resolve the paid draft order for the return shipping label:

Open the draft order, unarchive the order (if it is archived) and use the refund option at the top of the order page. In the reason for refund I recommend adding a note for the original order number and noting that this was an exchange and the customer already paid for this order. Since this order should be marked as manually paid, no return is sent to the customer and no notification should be sent out.

To exchange an item on future order:

Help Center - Order editing 

Help Center - Create return shipping labels

When you need to exchange an item on an order the easiest way to do so is to use the return item option within the order details. If you purchased a shipping label through Shopify Shipping in your store admin, and your store is eligible to also print return labels, under the "More action" tab in the order details should be an option to create a return shipping label. 

Once the item has been returned, and marked as such you can then choose to either edit the order to remove and replace the item in the order (some limitations to this, see linked help doc above for more info) or create a draft order for the new item. 

When creating a draft order, if the item has already been paid for, you can adjust the pricing of the item by applying a manual discount in the draft order before completing it. This way you don't have your order history tracking 2 orders payments for the same order.

I hope this helps you get this situation resolved!

-Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

gho_bryan
1 0 0

After marking the item as returned, how do you apply the payment to the new items added to the order as the exchange? It's only giving me the option to refund the original payment to the customer, then turnaround and send a new invoice to collect the same amount for the exchanged item.

0 Likes
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
347 68 68

Thanks for the reply @gho_bryan 

Since I can't see the original order and it's current state right now I would actually recommend reaching out to our live support to help you resolve this. Generally, when exchanging the item and marking it as returned you will not have to refund the order as well. You would just add the new item into the order using the edit order option and the order will balance out. 

To contact our live support for additional help please follow this link: Shopify Help Center - Contact Support, sign into your store account, search for your issue and use the contact support button at the bottom of the search results to see all our live support options. They will be able to have a look in more detail and help you get this order resolved. 

-Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes