How do I collect sales tax for products shipped from Illinois?

Carmdis7
Tourist
8 0 6

My importing business is based in Oregon and we do not have a sales tax on the products I sell. . However, I also sell products that are (drop/ship) packed and shipped from Illinois. My question is how do I set up to collect sales tax on products from Illinois? My best guess is that I have to collect a sales tax from Illinois. 

Thank you

Reply 1 (1)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @Carmdis7,

Great questions, taxes can be difficult to navigate even on the best of days!

However, I also sell products that are (drop/ship) packed and shipped from Illinois. My question is how do I set up to collect sales tax on products from Illinois? My best guess is that I have to collect a sales tax from Illinois. 

The first thing I will advise is to speak to an accountant or your local tax office to make sure you're charging the correct taxes for the correct locations based on your location and what you're selling etc. We can advise how to set up taxes in Shopify but are by no means tax experts, nor can we advise which taxes you need to collect.

Once you know which tax you need to collect after speaking to a tax professional you can see how to set up the correct taxes in Shopify from the following help guides based on what you mentioned:

Let me know if you have any other questions about this! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.