Sales Tax

Martiny1
1 0 0

Hi, 

I have been struggling with finding an answer to a few of my questions. I was hoping someone could help me to figure out what it is that I have to do with Sales Tax. 

I am have been setting up my Shopify store for a few days and would like clarification on a couple of matters. My shop is based in Texas and would like to know how to set up my settings to start charging taxes. 

I would also like to know how to set up taxes for all other states. I do not know where to start. It is all so overwhelming. 

Under "Sales Tax Collection" do I only enter Texas or must I find the tax for every state and add them all individually? 

If I want to be able to ship to all of the US what is it that has to be done and how? 

Please advise. 

Reply 1 (1)
Don
Shopify Staff
1600 107 216

Hi there @Martiny1!

Thanks for sharing your query with us here in the Shopify Community.

For any tax-related questions, we would always have to direct you to consult a qualified expert in your jurisdiction to ensure you are collecting and remitting taxes as appropriate.

What we can provide you with from Shopify are the tools you need to charge for taxes correctly once you have determined how to do so.

Check out our general guide to US taxes with Shopify here, and if you're setting up for the first time I'd definitely recommend you check out Setting up US taxes with Shopify.

I did manage to find what looks like an official resource from the state of Texas regarding sales tax that you can check out, though again our recommendation would always be to consult with a tax professional in your region to ensure you're all set.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you're selling and where you're at with your business currently (are you setting up for the first time, moving an existing venture online, etc)?

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog