Is Shopify doing enough to prevent scam stores?

NMlaba
5 0 0

I got scammed by a store here on Spotify called Retail Spree.
After scamming me and I'm sure countless others the owner then went and started a NEW store, again, HERE on Spotify this time called Retail Depot.
I really wish Spotify has a way of preventing such.

It's ridiculous how these EVIL people keep getting a platform to scam people again and again and all Spotify does if you report them is tell you there's nothing they can do.

"A good analogy would be to think of asking the owner of a shopping mall to refund a product bought from a store leasing space within the shopping mall" they said on their email.Good analogy but why allow the same person who has scammed people to keep on scamming them by opening a new store? No mall owner would keep a store they're aware is doing criminal activities or is owned by a criminal. Because ultimately these sick people are blood thirsty criminals. 

Replies 4 (4)

Michal17
Shopify Partner
835 73 175

Hi @NMlaba 

Hope you're having a great day!

You should check out how to report an issue with a Merchant.

If you found this comment useful, hit the 'Like' and 'Accepted solution' buttons.

NMlaba
5 0 0

I did report it and the merchant's store is STILL operating here and continues with its scamming ways 🙃

Michal17
Shopify Partner
835 73 175

Hi @NMlaba 

I'm sorry for your inconvenience.

@Lilith , @Aria or @Moira could help you more efficiently.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2778 440 566

Hi @NMlaba 

My name is Shay and I work with the Social Care team here at Shopify. I understand that you had a bad experience with a merchant who you believe is using our platform for their business. I want to assure you that we do take this feedback seriously and we definitely don't want fraudulent businesses using our platform. 

If you have submitted a report through our Acceptable Use Policy page to note this merchant's fraudulent behavior and supplied evidence to support your claim as well, then rest assured that it is with our team and being looked into. While I can't confirm if this store was/is being hosted by Shopify, I can say that sometimes stores use the Shopify branding as a deflection technique when they aren't really using our platform. Not saying that is the case here, but we do see that quite frequently.

The best thing to do in these situations is to report the business to the hosting platform if possible, you can also report the business to their domain host as well, and you will want to open a claim with your bank. Every time a claim is opened with a banking institute, the account is also flagged in our system and is reviewed by our business operations team. The more claims against a store or merchant the less likely they will be able to open a store on our platform in the future. 

I know this is not a perfect solution and I can't guarantee the resolution that you would like to see. But please know that our team hears your feedback and that this account will be looked into. 

Thank you,

-Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog