Seeking Expert Advice: Checklist for Seamless Migration to Shopify

Alimuthary
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello Shopify Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am in the process of migrating my custom website to a Shopify store and would greatly appreciate your expert advice. I want to ensure a smooth transition without disrupting my SEO efforts and without changing important links that could adversely affect my store's performance.

Could you please share your insights and provide me with a checklist of crucial steps to follow during the migration process? I want to make sure that my SEO remains intact and that there are no adverse effects on the links or any other elements that could potentially harm the overall performance of the store.

Thank you in advance for your valuable input and guidance.

Replies 4 (4)

theycallmemakka
Shopify Partner
1157 249 268

Hi @Alimuthary ,

It's great to hear that you're considering migrating your custom website to a Shopify store. Ensuring a smooth transition is crucial, especially when it comes to preserving SEO efforts. Here's a checklist of crucial steps to follow during the migration process:

SEO Audit of Existing Site:
Conduct a comprehensive SEO audit of your current website to identify key elements contributing to your SEO.

301 Redirects:

Implement 301 redirects for all existing URLs to corresponding pages on your new Shopify store. This helps preserve link equity and ensures a seamless transition for both users and search engines.

Update Sitemap:

Generate and submit a new sitemap to Google Search Console to reflect the structure of your new Shopify store.

Canonical Tags:

Ensure proper implementation of canonical tags on your new Shopify pages to indicate the preferred version of duplicate content.

Meta Tags and Descriptions:

Transfer and optimize meta titles and descriptions for each page on your Shopify store to maintain consistency and improve search visibility.

Image Alt Text:

Transfer and optimize image alt text to maintain accessibility and support image-based search results.

Verify Google Analytics and Search Console:

Verify your Shopify store in Google Analytics and Google Search Console to monitor and analyze website performance and search-related data.

Content Migration:

Carefully migrate your content, including product descriptions, blog posts, and other relevant information. Ensure content quality and relevance are maintained.

Monitor 404 Errors:

Regularly monitor for 404 errors and address them promptly. This helps in identifying and fixing broken links.

Robots.txt File:

Check and update the robots.txt file to control search engine crawlers' access to your site.

Update Backlinks:

Reach out to websites linking to your old site and request them to update the links to your new Shopify store.

Post-Migration Monitoring:

Monitor your site's performance, rankings, and user behavior post-migration to address any issues promptly.

Remember to back up your data before making any significant changes, and consider consulting with an SEO professional for personalized advice based on your specific situation.

I hope this checklist helps you in ensuring a successful migration to Shopify. If you have any further questions or need additional guidance, feel free to ask. Good luck with your transition!

❤️❤️

Buy me a coffee

For quick response - Message Me

For easy store customization, try PageFly
Add Winter vibe to your store
Alimuthary
Visitor
2 0 1

Hey,

Thank you for the great information. I will definitely follow your checklist. Could you please clarify one more thing: can we migrate our current URLs? This is a concern for us as it may impact our SEO. The main issues I have are related to SEO and my backlinks. We are worried about losing our current standing.

Thanks again.

Stacy_Zhuk
Shopify Partner
384 20 55

Hello @Alimuthary,

Yes, various SEO elements might get affected when migrating to the Shopify platform. The most important element is Site Speed and Core web Vitals.

So, in order to minimize the impact:
Back up your data to secure yourself if anything goes wrong.
Keep an eye on the impact of Google Analytics and Search Console. These tools will help you identify any changes in traffic or rankings.
Keep an eye on any technical issues related to crawling or mobile responsiveness. You can use tools like Google Search Console etc.
Perform an SEO audit to check the after-effects of migration.

However, the most efficient and secure way to perform migration is to get help from a reliable Shopify development company.

Please, let me know if you need any assistance.

Best regards,
Anastasia

Co-founder at Whidegroup, e-commerce development company from Ukraine
- 10+ years of experience with SMBs
- Deep expertise in custom development & optimization
E-mail: anastasia@whidegroup.com

JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
172 10 64

301 redirects will be HUGE to have in place before you cut over to shopify

Once you get things moved, having an SEO App that can do an audit, and monitor / repair 404 errors is going to be huge

If you have any specific questions I'm glad to help. If assisted SEO efforts for many stores over the years

SEO Manager - The FREE all-in-One SEO solution for Shopify
A powerful suite of SEO tools that gets you found in Google results

- Install SEO Manager -