Set default "Country of Origin" for international shipping?

MDD
Explorer
47 0 39

Whenever I ship internationally (dozens of times per month) in the customs form portion of the shipping page I have to select my country of origin.

Is there a way to simply make this default to United States? 

Who is moving from country to country constantly and always shipping from different countries?  This seems like something very basic that should have been defined when I set up my store, yet I can find no way to set a default country of origin.

This isn't set by the "shipping origin" under Settings > Shipping, though it absolutely should be by any measure of common sense.

Replies 16 (16)
Casimir_Covert-
Tourist
5 0 3

Have you had any luck with this?  We've just migrated our shipping from Shipstation to Shopify and now we're considering going back because this issue is a phenomenal waste of time.

MDD
Explorer
47 0 39

No, and there doesn't appear to be any movement from Shopify to fix this incredibly aggravating waste of time.  I absolutely refuse to believe that more people are shipping from different COUNTRIES every day than shipping from the exact same country every day.  Why this simple option (a default shipping country) isn't baked in is a complete mystery.

Casimir_Covert-
Tourist
5 0 3

@MDD   We've stopped shipping with Shopify because it was far more difficult than using Shipstation.

MDD
Explorer
47 0 39

Wise.  Shopify intentionally goes out of their way to make things more difficult for users so that users are encouraged to subscribe to paid apps by creating artificial demand for these functionalities so they can sell them back to us via their app marketplace that they of course get a cut from.  It's a borderline scam.

Casimir_Covert-
Tourist
5 0 3

@MDD   If it's any consolation, Shipstation is a standalone program outside of Shopify.  They're great: the platform works easily and quickly, and the help is responsive.  Based on the emails we get from each company, it feels a lot more like they're competing for our shipping business than a situation wherein Shopify is paying a cut to Shipstation.

Skoory
Pathfinder
115 1 44

It would be a bona fide scam if they were responsible in some way for creating the problems and then selling apps to fix them and pushing store owners to buy the apps through their own app market, wouldn't it?!

(Also, need to consider that these apps potentially have access to valuable and confidential data, not covered by the stores' agreement with Shopify.)

@MDD wrote:

Wise.  Shopify intentionally goes out of their way to make things more difficult for users so that users are encouraged to subscribe to paid apps by creating artificial demand for these functionalities so they can sell them back to us via their app marketplace that they of course get a cut from.  It's a borderline scam.

Skoory, the curious squirrel of TTL CIC - - a Company limited by guarantee with charitable objectives.
"Finally, if you quote a source, choose one with a name that is easy to pronounce...mental effort is aversive." Thinking Fast and Slow
MDD
Explorer
47 0 39

IMO it's so close to being a scam that it's hard to really tell the difference.  No, I don't think Shopify is necessarily creating problems in order to push their app marketplace subscriptions, however... I do believe they intentionally leave out functionality on their platform specifically to aid in creating demand for the app marketplace.  In the years I've been using Shopify there are so many instances where I've searched for a solution to a problem I'm having and discovered that the functionality is not available in the Shopify platform... but is available via an app with a paid monthly subscription.  This can mean only one thing: That functionality can exist in the Shopify platform (otherwise how could an app even exist that provides it) but Shopify is leaving it out intentionally.  Why?  So they can push the paid app model, which I'm convinced they get a cut from.  It's basically a way to sell a low price subscription to their platform without mentioning that your monthly bill will easily double or triple if you want all the functionality you actually need.  

Had I known this prior to signing up I would have chosen a different e-commerce service.  As it is, moving to a new service is a daunting task so I'm going to stick with Shopify until I come across a crucial need that Shopify is trying to get me to pay a third party vendor for, and if I can't figure out a workaround (as I have with everything else so far) I'll dump Shopify like a hot potato.  

Also, when people ask me about my e-commerce platform I don't tell the about Shopify... I warn them about Shopify.

It would be a bona fide scam if they were responsible in some way for creating the problems and then selling apps to fix them 

MDD
Explorer
47 0 39

As is so often the case with Shopify, no one at the company was able to help me even though there is a solution: I discovered on my own that you can set the country of origin for each individual product.  Luckily you can also bulk edit this detail, so I was able to go back to all my products and set the country of origin to United States so that I no longer have to manually set it for every international shipment I make.

Why this simple detail can't be chosen globally via a setting in the Shipping settings is baffling.  It's FAR more likely that people will be shipping all international packages from the same country of origin than from multiple countries of origin, so why not make the country of origin setting global and then on the occasion when someone has an individual product that will ship from a different country you can manually change that single product... instead of having to manually change ALL products, like it's set up now?

Skoory
Pathfinder
115 1 44

Hi @MDD 

What's the nature of the relationship between Shopify the company and the app developers? Between Shopify the company and all the folks on this forum who are marketing their 'expertise' in coding, web design, etc etc?

One can imagine that the nature of the relationship that exists may foster creativity - but it may also lead to misuse.  

I agree that they may benefit from a culture change. We are a non-profit using the store mainly as our web site and were using another ecommerce provider before. Shopify seemed better when we began. My experience is that some of the gurus are pretty decent - it is a matter of chance sometimes. But, this may be because at the moment they can not make money from us, so I am all ears and would like to learn from you guys.

In the years I've been using Shopify there are so many instances where I've searched for a solution to a problem I'm having and discovered that the functionality is not available in the Shopify platform... but is available via an app with a paid monthly subscription.  This can mean only one thing: That functionality can exist in the Shopify platform (otherwise how could an app even exist that provides it) but Shopify is leaving it out intentionally.  Why? 

Skoory, the curious squirrel of TTL CIC - - a Company limited by guarantee with charitable objectives.
"Finally, if you quote a source, choose one with a name that is easy to pronounce...mental effort is aversive." Thinking Fast and Slow