Solved

Shipping - Default Package Size

eharrington5
Visitor
1 0 2

I'm trying to determine shipping package sizes. Let's say I have a medium box size and large box size. I can only find a that one package size can be used a checkout using the option "This package is used to calculate shipping rates at checkout." My concern is that some larger items will require a larger box, is it not possible to set this up? I've added these larger items to a Custom Shipping Rate but do not see how to tie that to the checkout box size?

Accepted Solution (1)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @eharrington5 

You are correct! The default package size in Shopify is going to be used in all calculated shipping rates at checkout for your customers. In the case you have a variety of packaging sizing, I recommend using a third-party app to accomplish this. An app called Boxify will allow you to show rates that match how an order is actually shipped, whatever is in the cart, whatever the size of the box or boxes required. They also offer a 15-day free trial to see if it's a good fit for our store!

I hope that helps. With that said, are you planning on setting up flat shipping costs or calculated shipping costs?

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 22 (22)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @eharrington5 

You are correct! The default package size in Shopify is going to be used in all calculated shipping rates at checkout for your customers. In the case you have a variety of packaging sizing, I recommend using a third-party app to accomplish this. An app called Boxify will allow you to show rates that match how an order is actually shipped, whatever is in the cart, whatever the size of the box or boxes required. They also offer a 15-day free trial to see if it's a good fit for our store!

I hope that helps. With that said, are you planning on setting up flat shipping costs or calculated shipping costs?

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

migpics
Tourist
5 0 31

Are you kidding me?  We need an app for an account that we pay monthly that allows for monthly products so we can price different packaging sizes?
Unbelievable.

liluki
Visitor
1 0 4

Exactly! Absolutely misleading offering. I used to see custom dimensions for specific products and now they are gone.

DavyC
Visitor
1 0 9

I've begun to have issues with this.

My default box must be big enough for my biggest products, lest I lose much shipping money. But, then, for my tiny products, my clients get way over-charged massive amounts for the same, oversized default box. (I've had to refund some clients & lost money on others.)

So, Shopify can't determine different Shopping Cart Check Out boxes to match the product? 

Boxify is way to expensive to add to my Shopify account. 

Janit_Calvo
Shopify Partner
42 0 73

Throwing my name into the convo - not sure what has happened to the shipping but now it's off completely. I'm losing sales AND I have to give shipping refunds to the customers that are overcharged way too often now.

To NOT consider the SIZE of the items to be shipped is USELESS.

To tell us to go get an app to do something so BASIC is RIDICULOUS. 

I switched to Shopify from Go Daddy's Quick Shopping Cart that I used since 2006. THEIR shipping calculator had taken into account the SIZE of the wrapped items in order for the calculator to pack the RIGHT BOX and quote the RIGHT SHIPPING COSTS

Since 2006!!!!! To not be able to do this in the Shopify shipping calculator is just STUPID. 

BrysonThill
Visitor
1 0 4

Hi @Dirk, I'm new to Shopify and hope to launch soon with a single product. I expect most customers will buy only one unit of the product, but I will almost certainly also have some customers purchasing several.

It seems like Shopify will use my default package for all orders, which will be correct in most cases, but will severely underestimate shipping costs if the customer buys more than one of the items. Am I understanding correctly that there is no way to accurately calculate this shipping without having Shopify Advanced and a third party app like Boxify? 

If there's something I'm missing here, please let me know! This is a major roadblock to me launching my store.

migpics
Tourist
5 0 31

Dirk, while you offer an answer to the issue, you don't really back it up with any justification. You just confirm what most Shopify customers found through brute force after slamming their heads against the wall asking why, why, why.  I mean, really, it's a basic assumption that any vendor that would have multiple packages want to give their customers a better way to select the shipping of said packages, so Shopify is doing a big disservice to their community by providing something under bear bones to get a fulfillment company up and running.
However, and this is the big however you are missing in your responses to everyone, and this is for those out there hassling with this, here is what Shopify offers that other can't, and that is a better rate on shipping using major carriers like UPS, or FEDex.
Shopify's ability to have relationships with large carriers, allows shopify customers to have better shipping rates than just going down to the store and buying the shipping yourself.
And there is where the savings comes in that then pays for the recommended app.
So the app costs about $30 a month and depending on your orders, you'll save yourself a shipping rate of $30 a month with just a few orders.  Then, to top it off, you can add a small handling fee that offsets the cost of the app.
It should still be pointed out that the default features are very very limiting when it comes to shipment and at least one or two package choices should be offered, but I am trying to find a silver lining in all of this.

Janit_Calvo
Shopify Partner
42 0 73

This is NOT an "accepted solution" by any means. To tell us to go get an app to do something so BASIC is RIDICULOUS. 

ICYMI - I switched to Shopify from Go Daddy's Quick Shopping Cart that I used since 2006. THEIR shipping calculator had taken into account the SIZE and weight of the wrapped items in order for the calculator to choose/pack the RIGHT BOX and quote the RIGHT SHIPPING COST.

Since 2006 I might add!!!!!

To not be able to do this within the Shopify shipping calculator tells me they own Boxify and want to nickle-and-dime us for more money.

Why else would they do NOT do this?

To not calculate the SIZE of an item for the postage costs is unbelievably ignorant of the way the post office and the carriers work. 

kcbrickstore
Tourist
4 0 9

Hey @Dirk,

Any timeline on when Shopify will support different package sizes natively? Almost every other ecommerce provider supports different package sizes without charging for an extra add-on app, and based on the number of support topics here related to package sizes, this is a very highly requested feature.

kcbrickstore
Tourist
4 0 9

@Dirk,

For example, Anders reported that this feature was requested 5 years ago here: https://community.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-and/package-sizing/m-p/463094/highlight/true#M2172...

Then LuLu copy/pasted the same answer here in 2019: https://community.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-and/questions-about-default-packaging-size-and-shi...

And then a year ago you posted this reply pushing Boxify as well.  Based on the trend of the forums, it seems like Shopify doesn't really intend to add this feature...

mgFishing
Visitor
1 0 4

I also cannot believe that you cannot set a default package for each product that is then used to calculate shipping rates.  

On top of that we have to be on an "Advanced" shopify plan to enable third party carrier calculated shipping, which is insanity.  

I understand that Shopify has to keep their app developers happy as well the store owners, but leaving us with the option of paying Shopify an extra $130 a month to allow us to sell different sized products and not get plowed by shipping rates, or pay another app developer for every calculation they perform (not order placed even, just shipping calculation) is insanity.  This is not a complicated thing to do and other platforms have this functionality for free by default.  

We have been a single product store and are so excited to be growing and adding to our product lines, but this is ending up being a much bigger and awkward hurdle than it should be.  

I've been frustrated with Shopify before, but never fully disappointed with it until today.  This is a let down and the reliance Shopify has on it's app market over base functionality is starting to get ridiculous and overbearing with the $5 here, $10 here, $20 here all for things that should be part of the base platform.  

I've never seriously considered switching eComm platforms, but this may be the tipping point.

MountainHomeSup
Visitor
1 0 1

I agree!  I am trying to scale my business and have 3 different types of soap, lip balms, 2 types of lotion, and a solid cologne, all mind you have very different weights and dimensions.  It blows my mind I have spent all this time getting my store the way I want, to come to find out it will just default to a specific box.  Why would a customer decide to buy a lip balm that is .15 oz and the shipping shows 6.75?!  That would be understandable if they purchase a few soaps and a lotion, but how am I supposed to get any sales, (which is what Im in business for) if the shipping is this off?  I was looking forward to utilizing shopify because I heard so many good things, but how is it good if a platform THIS big cannot even do something as simple as get the shipping narrowed down?  It has taken the wind out of my sails and makes me wonder if I should switch platforms, and If so, which one?

ECCP
Visitor
3 0 3

I ran into this issue multiple times. I've lost money on some of my bigger items because I cannot add dimensions to different products. 

migpics
Tourist
5 0 31

Yeah this is crap.  We're switching over to something else.  By the time you end up adding all these 3rd party add ons your overhead with this thing is awful.

Obathbody
Visitor
1 0 4

I think I will be switching also

migpics
Tourist
5 0 31

Hey Obathdbody.  You might consider sticking around.  I was really rethinking it and there might be somethings that balance out the costs.  See my response above.

Janit_Calvo
Shopify Partner
42 0 73

Let us know what you come up with! 

Adding a handling fee to cover the costs of an app - for something so basic - is unfair to the customers. They are already paying for the increased shipping costs over the past couple of years. Besides the fact that a lot of time, the shipping costs will be more than the product itself. 

MNonlineseller
Excursionist
11 0 8

I would like to reinvigorate this conversation. You should at least be able to set default packaging options by market. Our USA orders tend to be smaller since shipping is less expensive, customers will order single items more frequently. However, our International customers plan carefully and fill boxes to make shipping as economical as possible. With only one default packaging, we have to err on the side of International orders coming out correct because a small change in weight can swing the shipping cost by double. But this means practically all USA orders are overcharged, maybe only slightly, but it feels unnecessary. 

It should not take a rather expensive paid app to sort this out. Please let us AT LEAST specify default packaging by market. 

MNonlineseller
Excursionist
11 0 8

@MNonlineseller wrote:

It should not take a rather expensive paid app to sort this out. Please let us AT LEAST specify default packaging by market. 

Shopify admin, any thoughts on this recommendation? Seems very easy to implement. 

MNonlineseller
Excursionist
11 0 8

@Dirk Your thoughts? It makes no sense that this is still an issue. 

CedarYSand
Visitor
1 0 2

Hmmmmmm...not a peep from Shopify/Dirk on any of this.  😞

daddydayclub
4 0 0

I came here to back up everyones concerns here too. Absolutely ridiculous.