Shipping - PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE SHOPIFY - Additional item costs?!

Snowleopard18
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi,

I'm curious why Shopify do not have in the shipping settings the ability to add shipping costs for additional items, as just standard in our shipping settings as a standard feature as part of our monthly subscription costs?

e.g. say a customer buys an item and the shipping to USA = $4USD but for any extra items (if they buy 2 or more) shipping costs an additional $2USD per extra item.

Why don't Shopify have this in their shipping settings??

Like Etsy, Amazon etc do? Is it to make us purchase Shopify apps and increase their upsells and revenue??

I need to be able to do this per extra item but it doesn't work with weight based options (e.g. setting weights to 1lbs and then if someone adds 2 items to cart = 2lbs) due to the complexity of the combinations of items that can potentially be added to a customers cart.

This could all be solved with a simple "additional items costs" field feature in the shipping profile settings.

So please can Shopify team add this critical feature into shipping settings..?

Otherwise please suggest any apps that can do this that you instead want to upsell to me because you don't offer this as just a standard feature on the basic plan. Or is it available on higher up plans? (such as if we can use live shipping rates integrations does it enable additional item costs then?)

Thanks

Replies 4 (4)
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3419 224 657

@Snowleopard18 wrote:

I'm curious why Shopify do not have ...

Like Etsy, Amazon etc do? Is it to make us purchase Shopify apps and increase their upsells and revenue??

So please can Shopify team add this critical feature ....?

Shopify does not have feature X because shopify is not those companies nor full directly competing with them; different platforms that solve different problems.

Just use an app if you have specific business needs that cannot be met by the broad set of genericized features that work just fine solving the general problems of million of other merchants.

Apps make a pittance of Shopify's total revenue and it's is absurd to think they've plotted to not meet your very specific business specific needs so they can sell apps that do solve your problems.

The reality is developing features takes time and understanding a broad set of merchant use cases

So yes make the feature request,  but stay grounded in reality where it may never happen or be a 1to1 fit for granular needs and use solutions available now.

Join the discussion - What was learned this Black Friday?

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a ☕ Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3419 224 657

...shipping settings the ability to add shipping costs for additional items, as just standard in our shipping settings as a standard feature as part of our monthly subscription costs?

e.g. say a customer buys an item and the shipping to USA = $4USD but for any extra items (if they buy 2 or more) shipping costs an additional $2USD per extra item.

I need to be able to do this per extra item but it doesn't work with weight based options (e.g. setting weights to 1lbs and then if someone adds 2 items to cart = 2lbs) due to the complexity of the combinations of items that can potentially be added to a customers cart.

Otherwise please suggest any apps that can do this ...

Advanced shipping rules app should be able to do this, for scripting business logic the usemechanic app might be able to do this through draft orders before checkout.

An alternative advanced workaround is to have a secondary duplicate products that do have a reduced shipping rate profiles and swap them out at checkout time but this often means you need to reconcile stock and make sure those items do not appear on the storefront making this advanced work.

Or is it available on higher up plans? (such as if we can use live shipping rates integrations does it enable additional item costs then?)

If your on the shopify Plus enterprise plan this process may be possible with using checkoutscripts 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/checkout-settings/script-editor 

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a ☕ Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3419 224 657

Related https://community.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-and/how-do-i-set-up-an-additional-charge-for-multi... 

Snowleopard18
Tourist
5 0 3

"for granular needs" - majority of companies ship more than one product, Paul. It's not an exaggerated or "unique feature" request it's as generic and commonly used in shipping products - not like you're implying. Given it's a very standard business practice in most retail stores and given who Shopify markets to primarily, mum and pop shops. I see you're a Shopify partner so I assume develop/sell products for Shopify like themes, apps etc so I understand why you may feel that way but I don't think it's being overly demanding to ask for this to be added to the shipping profiles as part of our subscription costs and to even suggest it's an isolated specific business need is a stretch. I appreciate your input and suggestions though, thanks for answering and offering some solutions. Cheers.