Why did Shopify charge me twice and in US dollars?

Zoemerchandise
Visitor
1 0 0

1. Shopify charges me twice, please can anyone help me, because my monthly charge is one time per month and is a basic plan

2. I am Canadian why am I charged in US dollar

Replies 15 (15)

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @Zoemerchandise !

Thanks for your questions. I'll break down my responses in the same format just to make reading this back as easy as possible:

1. There's a couple of reasons this might happen. The first would be that there are multiple shops open using the same email address and credit card and the second would be that the shop has reached it's billing threshold. Typically Shopify will only charge you once a month You receive a bill whenever the total of your transaction fees and other outstanding charges exceeds your account's threshold. Monthly subscription fees are included in your running total, but they are not included in threshold bills. You should be able to determine if both bills are from the same account by clicking Settings > Billing from your Shopify admin and matching up the invoice numbers. 

2. We have merchants in more than 150 countries, of which the United States is our largest market. We charge universally in USD so that we are in the local currency of most of our merchants. Further, USD is one of the most frictionless and widely known currencies and making it the most effective way to accept payment at this time. This may be something we revisit or explore down the road though.

All the best!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Niyahsbeautybar
Visitor
1 0 1

Why have I been charged twice in one month this is ridiculous I want a re-fund ASAP 

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @Niyahsbeautybar !

Thanks for reaching out. You'll want to check your email and find the two invoices you've received. In the emails, the invoice will outline what the charges are for. Usually you'll receive two invoices in the same month if you've surpassed your monthly threshold. You receive a bill whenever the total of your transaction fees and other outstanding charges exceeds your account's threshold. Monthly subscription fees are included in your running total, but they are not included in threshold bills. You should also be able to determine if both bills are from the same account by clicking Settings > Billing from your Shopify admin and matching up the invoice numbers from the emails you've received.

If after checking this you're still unsure as to why you've been charged, please feel free to let me know here and I'd be happy to take a closer look into this together!   

Hopejohnson
Visitor
1 0 0

I am ,being charge twice by Shopify. I checked all of the information regarding thresholds and invoices an nothing adds up to explain why. I am being charged 60.00 a month for a basic plan and I haven’t sold any thing yet to go over my transaction threshold. I need some answers please and I am requesting a refund. I have been charged this amount for about 4 months now.

Ntusi19
Tourist
4 0 0

same here I haven't sold anything but I'm being charged twice within 4 days

Seonne
Visitor
1 0 0

I was charged twice in the month of June and August 2020. I would like to talk to someone about this and receive a refund. There isnt a number i can call or anything in the contact support about this. Please ADVISE!

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @Seonne !

Sorry to hear you have some unexpected charges on the account. When looking back at your emails from that time period, you'll have received emails from Shopify outlining what those charges are for. Typically, a second charge in the same month is due to reaching the accounts Billing Threshold.

In addition to monthly subscription billing, Shopify also issues bills throughout the month according to your plan-based billing threshold. Billing thresholds are dollar values that trigger billing whenever the cost of your account activity exceeds its threshold amount. If you reach your billing threshold and you're issued with a bill, you can continue to buy shipping labels until the total reaches 110% of your threshold. No further purchases can be made until you pay for the issued bill. For example, if your threshold is $400, and your account's activity reaches $400, then you'll be issued a bill. You can still purchase shipping labels until your account activity reaches $440 (110% of $400), but any more purchases after that can be made only after you've paid your bill of $400.

Charges triggered by your billing threshold will appear in the Billing history section of the Billing page in your Shopify admin.

Warm regards!

NoBL
Visitor
3 0 0

I have also been charged twice. Both emails I received say I have been charged for the same things. 

Apps: $16usd

Subscription: $29usd

Taxes: $4.50usd

Australia gst: $4.50usd

Total: $49.50usd

Don't understand as to why I was charged twice... please help.. as I think I deserve a refund for one of the payments.

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @NoBL !

I'd certainly recommend checking your store's billing section to see a breakdown of any charges you've received. It sounds like there might be two separate accounts open, so let's first confirm if there are two invoices for the same shop. From there, I'd probably recommend reaching out to our support team directly so we can authenticate you and take a closer look into that together. Our Terms Of Service indicates we do not provide refunds, but we can be flexible after reviewing individual cases.

Warm regards!

Banski
Visitor
2 0 1

I am also getting double charged for no reason,  this seems to be a pattern with you guys, clearly based on the above AND THERES NO WAY TO CONNECT WITH A HUMAN.

Ntusi19
Tourist
4 0 0

True its just a bot with a different and more significant username

Banski
Visitor
2 0 1

I am also getting double charged for no reason,  this seems to be a pattern with you guys, clearly based on the above AND THERES NO WAY TO CONNECT WITH A HUMAN.  How can I please speak with a human that can rectify this issue of money being taken from me?

silasstarr
Visitor
2 0 3

I was also double charged for my two POS. Shopify claims it happens because they bill on a 30 day cycle yet invoice on a 31 day cycle. You’d expect the next month to be covered , right? Nope. Shopify billed for another month. If you’re billing on a 30 day cycle, invoice on a 30 day cycle and stop playing accounting tricks to gain extra money. This type of shady practice really makes me want to take a deep dive and audit their payments as well. 

I’ve never heard of any company billing like this and I’m not sure why they take this approach knowing it’s going to piss people off. 

Ntusi19
Tourist
4 0 0

It was the same thing for me as well the first payment said my money was reserved but when I went to double check if it went through it apparently did so I accepted it now three or four days later its a payment and my money continues to decrease with the same amount

Ntusi19
Tourist
4 0 0

please review my case asap