Shopify Contact form SUBJECT LINE text : How to change?

paul-
Excursionist
55 0 54

All my emails coming from the contact form have the subject 'New customer message'. How do I change this text to something better?

Replies 70 (70)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Hi, @paul-,

Hank here from Shopify.

Thank you for posting your question, I was able to speak with our technical team about this to get you the correct information to answer this for you.

Currently, it is not possible to edit the subject that you would receive from when a customer emails you using the contact form option. I have checked to see if there is a way for this to be edited, but it is not currently possible via the theme or technical side of the platform.

What I have done for you though is I have logged this as direct feedback to our developers, as this is how the platform gets improved, with suggestions from store owners like yourself!

While I know this is not the response you were looking for, know that I have logged this now, with the hope that it does become a feature on the platform in the future.

Do let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

El_Bouck
Tourist
6 0 8

That would be really helpful!

Changing the subject line when replying to the customer's emails is a waste of time and prevents auto-replies.

OriZohar
Shopify Partner
5 0 20

I agree! This would be helpful to be able to change the format so that we can reply directly to these messages.

TeamMoto
Visitor
1 0 4

Any updates on fixing this issue. It would be really nice to be able to just reply direct to the customer. 

lou1800
Visitor
1 0 5

We really need this feature, any updates?  all emails come from my store name, is there a way I can see the sender's email instead of  mailer@shopify.com . .  30$ /month plus paying for  third party apps and we don't have these basic features it's kind of expensive. Please advise.

thanks.

templeflakes
Tourist
8 0 28

Adding to the voices asking for this. Really annoying to have to manually change the subject line when responding.

jameshall_s
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Hank,

Can you confirm whether this is supported yet?

Thank you 🙏

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you all for reaching out in response to this thread.

What I have done is gathered the feedback of every comment, but as it stands there is still no confirmation or timeframe that this may be implemented to the platform.

I will share a link to both the Shopify Changelog and our announcements page as this is where every new addition that gets added to the Shopify platform is announced.

Thank you again for all of your feedback and for wanting to help build such a useful tool for our Merchants, it is very much appreciated.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

Another vote for this simple, obvious feature. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
piroc_media
Shopify Expert
47 0 12

and another vote for this very. obvious. feature.

😉

KuznetsEnvy
Shopify Partner
38 0 10

It's been almost a year. 
Another vote for this feature.

Al_Priest
Tourist
33 0 2

Another vote for this.

GauravZ
Visitor
1 0 1

Upvoting for a basic feature.

MarkAskoe
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

Another vote for this...

3dchimera
Tourist
3 0 4

Another request for this feature...

CD-CT
Visitor
1 0 2

Well over a year since this request.....Any news on this?

Max_Valencia
Visitor
2 0 1

Rocket science? Come on guys! 

SebastianCiuciu
Visitor
1 0 1

i am surprised that i can not change this!! This should be a must have. It´s not a nice to have.

OriZohar
Shopify Partner
5 0 20

Hi all - for what it's worth, we installed an app called G:Form Builder ‑ Contact Form and it's excellent and cheap. You can specify everything regarding how the contact form is submitted - and even create a subject line dynamically using form info. I don't work for them or know them, but I'm really happy with our form submissions now!

Josh_Poole
Tourist
7 0 13

Shopify really needs to change this...very archaic. Come on Shopify team, step it up! It's an easy fix...just do it.

mfcss
Explorer
65 6 28

Any updates on this?

I tried with G:Form Builder ‑ Contact Form, but I seem still unable to add a subject line field that will result in the customer's subject line showing as the subject when I receive the emails.

concordadams
Shopify Partner
5 0 17

@Hank Shopify partner here. I want to bump this thread.

It's really shocking that Shopify has built "contact forms" but then didn't add any of the tools that actually make them useful. People need control of the title for an email sent to them. Here's what I really want: Just add a liquid field on the {% form %} tag like this:

{%- form 'contact', id: 'ContactForm', title:'New Custom Order' -%}

This is a really simple eight-years-and-running request that doesn't seem to die. Maybe a good reason to bump it up the roadmap. Maybe just put an dev intern on it for a day? Pretty please?
Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

I completely understand the frustration surrounding this issue, and I am adding your feedback to the merchants' frustration page for our developers. We are constantly striving to improve the platform and your input is greatly appreciated! While we cannot guarantee a deadline or estimated roll-out of a feature, rest assured that our team takes your comments seriously.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime, we hope to be able to implement your suggestions where feasible as soon as possible.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Rcarroll
Shopify Partner
5 1 5

Many moons have passed since your last update on this.. any news ? 

AnneW
Tourist
3 0 3

is it possible for us to do this ourselves now that shopify 2.0 is launched?

AlienRides
Visitor
1 0 3

How the holy hell is or has this not been fixed.   We pay thousands and thousands in fees, and hundreds of thousands in card processing fees.   Love your platform, but this is total dogcrap .  

FIX this by firing your project / product manager.  415.341.2281  Kevin Graehl CTO AlienRides 

Mototech271
Tourist
5 0 4

I dont get this either. everytime we have to answer our customers we have to change the subject. This is just so aggrivating. And the about " this is a shopify message" inside the email i dont like to send to the customer either when i answer them. So many stupid steps before you can hit the send button. Frustrating. Really wonder why they dont work on this.

Niko / Mototech271

AndyFine
Shopify Partner
3 0 3

Has this been resolved? Seems like it should be an easy enhancement for the Shopify team to add 🙂

Billiards2
Tourist
6 0 9

Okay it is more than a year later and Shopify has not rectified their contact form. How is the Subject line of any use? How do we delegate messages?

"New customer message on September 18, 2021 at 10:05 am"

Well No duh...we know it is a new message and our inbox tells us already the date and time.

We need subject lines:

[Check on Order] [Request Change to Order] [Question about Product] or [Subject Input _] NOT... "New customer message"

Along with [Customer Name] in the Subject title would be helpful ... (instead of the date and time)

Shopify, get a clue. This is frustrating!!!

tiamasic
Visitor
2 0 6

Adding to this, it's really unhelpful that customers can't tell me what they're wanting from the subject line. They should be able to select an option at least.  

Cameron_Limbric
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

please oh please Shopify let us change the subject line....

KelvinJT
Visitor
2 0 0

just add space on the input name tag. between [ and subject.

KelvinJT_0-1649234464217.png

ChadE
Tourist
3 0 7

This is very problamatic with Zendesk. Pre-Shopify, we leverged rules in Zendesk based on the form subject to automate where form submissions land within the our customer service department/company. This is no longer possible as all submissions look the same now. This is something that should not require a third-party app to solve.

Additionally, the Shopify form comes into Zendesk in a very hard-to read format. It basically drops the form into the conversation thread, rather then passing the text fields. This was not an issue pre-Shopify.

It's been almost two years since first reported and three times Shopify Staff have replied with updates saying that they have shared the feedback. There have been over two dozen merchants that have expressed concerns on how this affects communication with customers.

I'm not a developer but this feels like a low effort fix that would make alot of us much happier.

KelvinJT
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, 

I solve this issue by adding space on the contact[ subject].

KelvinJT_2-1649233229916.png

KelvinJT_3-1649233284886.png

sridharrajagopa
Excursionist
14 0 9

This doesn't change anything. The subject (title) of the contact form email we get is still "New customer message on..." 

-Sridhar

sridharrajagopa
Excursionist
14 0 9

+1 vote on this issue. The ability to specify a subject, or at the very least, to allow us to add some tag to the subject line will be invaluable in allowing us to filter messages based on the subject of our choosing (or additional tags on the subject line that we can specify) , if you still insist on having "New customer message" ). 

Thanks,

-Sridhar

sridharrajagopa
Excursionist
14 0 9

Update. Here's my workaround for this issue. Using a contact form mailer from liquid code, you can add different hidden fields that work as "name: value" pairs in the content of the email.  

For example, 

{% form 'contact' %}

<input type="hidden" name="contact[product]" value="{{ product.title | escape }}" />

<input type="hidden" name="contact[product_url]" value="{{ product.url | escape }}" />

<input style="float:left; margin-left:10px;" class="button" type="submit" value="Send" />

This will let me receive the email with the body like:

You received a new message from your online store's contact form.
Country Code:
US
Body:
Please notify me when ProtoStax Add-On for Waveshare 2.7 inch ePaper Display HAT (sku: PSAOWEPCLR ) becomes available.
Product:
ProtoStax Add-On for Waveshare 2.7 inch ePaper Display HAT
Product Url:
/products/protostax-add-on-for-waveshare-2-7-inch-epaper-display-hat

So I can add values and context to the email that's sent. Since they are of the form

Name:

Value

they can be processed programmatically. I use Applescript to process and take action. 

While it will still be nice to be able to set SUBJECT easily (should not be a hard thing for them to implement AT ALL!!!!), this at least allows me to proceed. 

Hope this helps you!

Cheers, 

Sridhar

sridharrajagopa
Excursionist
14 0 9

Since the ineffectual Shopify doesn't seem to be doing anything for what should be a reasonably easy fix on their part ....

I had explained my workaround to process shopify email additional data using applescript (or a suitable scripting language for the mailbox of your choice (e.g. outlook) 

However, this can also work for regular contact form from shopify. 

A typical contact form looks like this :

You received a new message from your online store's contact form.
Country Code:
US
Name:
Sridhar
Phone Number:

Comment:
TEST

You can again programmatically extract the fields as they are all of the pattern:

Name:

Value

You can run your script to generate *a new email* with the suitable Subject, To Address, Body, etc, using the data you extracted from Shopify's stupid format. You can add your company's signature etc and make it super professional. 

This automates the process, helps you stay professional and on brand, and also stops Shopify from holding you hostage to their stupidity. 

Hope this helps. 

Sridhar

Hestas
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Do we have an update on this? I'm a developer and one of my client is requesting this to be changed. Thank you.

Kyle_Tully
Shopify Partner
17 0 6

Another request for this most basic feature! It's been over 2 years.

Shopify Partner building & growing Shopify websites since 2013
I send a weekly email that makes you smarter about growing your Shopify store at MorningCommerce.com

__DCM
Visitor
1 0 2

Agreed, huge issue. @Shopify Please fix this ASAP

backstorymapsco
Visitor
2 0 4

Bumping this yet again to request ability to customize the subject line.

cztl_support
Visitor
1 0 1

Guy @Shopify - We really need this feature. Or at least change that subject line to something meaningful (even if its static). The timezone in the subject line is the most unhelpful thing. I wonder what your product manager was thinking (or not) when the current subject line was added

2 years to update a simple subject line - your plan your tech roadmaps for a decade? Expect better from you guys. 

tcalabris
Visitor
1 0 0

Shopify, this isn't going away. We need this very simple feature to change subject line on contact. Please add this.

alex-post
Visitor
1 0 1

Bump. C'mon Shopify team. It's time. As simple as what @concordadams presented.

AnneW
Tourist
3 0 3

Another vote for this feature. I have several different contact forms on our website and it would be nice to differentiate them with a subject line. 

Mototech271
Tourist
5 0 4

Hello,

Has this still not been fixed? crazy that so many users need this simply feature and shopify is not getting it done. Its frustrating to change this subject on every single answer!

Thanks,

Niko with Mototech271

londonsnest
Visitor
1 0 2

THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!!!!!!

onlineorganics
Excursionist
18 2 4

Very sad indeed. For a platform that is claiming a majority share for small and medium online stores. Doesn't even need to be UI friendly as long as we can edit the code