Shopify is stealing from vendors

dontusepayments
Tourist
7 0 3

I recently switched to shopify payments ,, now all the sudden they have frozen my funds .. has anyone else dealt with this .. there is over 5k in there .. I now it's not a lot but I have a family to feed and I need this money 

Replies 7 (7)

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

Hi @dontusepayments 

I am sorry to hear about your recent negative experiences with switching over to Shopify Payments. It is definitely not ideal to have your payouts put on hold, so I understand where you are coming from.

On occasion, certain things can trigger a hold on payouts like you have explained. It might be a case that because you have only recently switched over to Shopify Payments, more information is needed by our banking partners to verify your account and get it finalised. 

Are you seeing any messages in your admin relating to your payouts? Also, did you receive any email correspondence from us with regards to the payout hold? Usually you would see an email explaining the situation but if you haven't received anything, I would encourage you to reach out to our support team here. Once you are logged in to your store they can verify you as the Account Owner and take a closer look.

Here on the Community Forums we have no account access, so I am quite limited in the specific account information I can provide. We have a help document outlining frequently asked questions with regards to payouts here. In particular this section mentions what to do if the account is on hold:

19-53-2820-31799

Rick | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

dontusepayments
Tourist
7 0 3

@Rick @I deleted the product repsonded to the emails. I have a pregnant wife , a diabetic son, I have over 5 thousand dollars on hold over a brush, it may not sound like a lot to many people but it is to me and my family. I have been running this store for years and the second I switched to payments I get one payout they freeze my money. I wonder if this is common practice, multiply this by a few thousand stores, invest those funds you’d be able to turn a good profit at the expense of vendors In a short time . The fact that there is no human to speak to only email support when you are dealing with people Money is disgusting. If they put as much in this as their sales team , there would be a human voice for us. People over profit .. it’s a simple concept. 

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

Hi @dontusepayments 

I totally appreciate your concerns, and I understand the urgency of getting your payout hold resolved as quickly as possible. 

I realize that sometimes it is preferred to deal with live support rather than email for time sensitive issues like this and for most issues on Shopify, we do indeed offer live chats & phone callbacks. However, our escalated teams such as the one you are dealing with now are required to work via email, in order to adhere to secure processes. 

They generally aim to reply to your followup emails within a day or so, however depending on the complexity of the situation it can sometimes take slightly longer. It sounds like you have already responded to the emails and have carried out some requested actions on your store. Our team will be working with you to get this resolved as quickly as possible, and they do appreciate your patience during this time.

Rick | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

dontusepayments
Tourist
7 0 3

@Rick  when you effect someone financially that has a direct impact on their children it’s a human to human respect to speak to them. I’m not a machine neither is my family. This email only is a disgusting punt of responsibility. 

JeraldA
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi There "DONT",

$5k is a lot.  Yes, they are totally doing this to lots of people.  We are currently going through this too.  We sadly switched off intuit because they wanted all the stores to buy 2019 software right in the middle of the pandemic.  Couldn't afford the software.  We already were using Shopify for online sales.  They had brick and mortar set ups, so we did that.  So, everything was fine for two years and out of the blue they start withholding our money- no notice- they just did it and now we are getting hurt.  We are an educational facility- we have built children's museums, we do school programs, science workshops with kids and so much more.    I am sorry this is happened to you.  So far it has only been one weekend for us.  They are quick to hurt us but slow to fix. Did they eventually fix this for you?  We are in a serious situation.  Can't afford to lose a day let alone a weekend or more.  We have been in business for 27 years.  Never had anything like this happen to us.  All we do is help people.

SamMTP
Visitor
1 0 0

Yes, they are clearly holding payment without a valid reason. We have been in business for the past 10 years and no payment company has held our payment. However, since we switch to Shopify they have held more than 8K of our fund and won't give any reason. Plus they won't let you use other payment without extra fees. Clearly looks like they are doing cash leverage with other businesses hard earning money. Unfortunately, our website is not easy to migrate from one platform to another, or else we would have to switch now. 

When I ask for a valid reason this is what they told me "Our discretion, will set the terms of your Reserve Account and notify you of such terms"

Basically, they are saying to us we will do whatever we want. This is not a good business ethic. If you are new into e-commerce try a better solution that doesn't hold you for no valid reason. 

Me1231
Visitor
1 0 0

just happend to me. never signed up for shopify payments. took it from a instagram same and now no one knows where the money is.