Shopify Payments - Company's Location or Owner Location to be Allowed?

RafaelFalco
1 0 0

Hi, 

Recently I had my Shopify's Payment Gateway disabled from the Risk Department due they consider I'm not physically located in a country which is covered by Shopify Payments. 

I have formed a Ltd. company in the UK, I have a Bank account in the UK, I have a physically address in the UK,  I submitted all proof documents to Shopify regarding my company. 

After that, Shopify asked for my personal address proof document which I had submitted. However I'm currently living in Portugal, a country which is not covered by Shopify Payments. 

My question is: 

What's the location criteria Shopify's is taking to decide the eligibility? 

Into Shopify's webpage https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/shopify-payments/shopify-payments-requirements we can see the following statement:

"Shopify Payments requirements

Shopify Payments is available only to stores in certain countries and regions. With Shopify Payments you're automatically set up to accept all major payment methods as soon as you create your Shopify store." 

" Supported countries and regions

Use the following list to find out if Shopify Payments is available in the country where your business operates:

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Canada

Denmark

Germany

Hong Kong SAR

Ireland

Italy

Japan

Netherlands

New Zealand

Singapore

Spain

Sweden

United Kingdom

United States Shopify Payments is not available to US territories except Puerto Rico."

Could somebody clarify this situation for me?

Has anyone faced the same situation? 

Thanks in advance,

Reply 1 (1)
Shay
Shopify Staff
531 87 105

Hi @RafaelFalco 

Thank you for reaching out to the community forums for feedback on this situation you are experiencing with our Risk Operations team and your business eligibility for Shopify Payments. 

I know that not being able to use the integrated payment gateway we offer can be a hassle and that setting up an alternate third party gateway may not be ideal for you or your business. 

Our operations team reviews a range of information when assessing a business for eligibility for Shopify and Shopify Payments. The decision is also made in tandem with our banking partners and their own eligibility requirements. Businesses like yours, where they are legally registered outside of your own personal country, are assessed on a case by case basis and there is never a guarantee that you will be considered eligible. The factors that are looked at to make this decision are generally not factors that can be shared publicly to protect the integrity of our systems in place. 

Not all businesses are eligible to use Shopify Payments but that doesn't mean that you cannot use the Shopify platform. Quite the contrary! Many businesses continue to use Shopify as their platform while also using alternate payment gateways for their business. 

When it comes to getting more information about this decision from our operations team you will need to reply back to the email communication you received from them. They may not be able to fully disclose the information considered in their decision but if there is an opportunity for a review of the decision they will let you know. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog