Can I enable Shop Pay and Payments without the 'Remember Me' option at checkout?

pliersandstring
Excursionist
16 2 5

Is it possible to enable Shop Pay + Payments while disabling the "Remember Me" option (with phone number entry) at checkout?

Thank you!

Replies 5 (5)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@pliersandstring 

You can disable customer accounts while using Shopify Payments and Shop Pay; however, the option to "save this information for next time" can not be disabled. If you use Shop Pay, and a customer checks out using Shop Pay, then a customer account will be created regardless of whether or not customer accounts are disabled. 

May I ask why you're wanting to disable the "save this information for next time" feature?

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

pliersandstring
Excursionist
16 2 5

Hi Trevor, thanks for the reply! To be clear, we don't want to disable "Save this information for next time" – which appears, at least for us, on the "Information" page at checkout.

What we do wish to disable is the "Remember Me" option that appears only when Shop Pay is enabled. This appears on the "Payment" screen at checkout. The problem with this option is that if a customer checks its box, a phone number entry field appears. This phone number entry field pushes the "Pay now" button offscreen, which interrupts one of the most crucial steps in our conversion funnel, effectively causing the final "trigger" in a purchase to disappear.

A lot of our clientele are not the most computer savvy, so if the Pay now button disappears offscreen, they may not even realize it's still there, now lurking out of sight – thinking instead they would have to enter their phone number to complete even a non–Shop Pay purchase. Given that most modern devices eschew scrollbars unless a user is actively scrolling, it may not be apparent to even a savvy computer user that the Pay now button is still available, that they can complete their purchase without the invasive step of entering their phone number.

Also, this feature at the Payment screen is too much like an ad for Shop Pay. We're paying Shopify, not the other way around. Gathering phone number information on behalf of a platform whom we are paying for a service – even if that phone number is necessary for their proprietary payment system – is not copacetic; indeed it presents a privacy challenge for us, as a lot of customers (myself included) will just click away if they see something as awkwardly intruded and unusual as requesting SMS access to perform something as basic as saving form entry data.

The reason I'm asking is that we would like to offer an installment option for our customers, and we certainly don't want to strip away payment options. It's only when a payment option is so intrusive that it might draw attention away from more traditional payment methods that it begins to hurt our sales.

Best,

Ryan

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@pliersandstring 

Thank you for the feedback, Ryan. Removing the option to collect the phone number will not be possible as it's a requirement for authentication. I tested a store with Shop Pay and wasn't able to replicate the issue you've mentioned.

• Are you able to provide a video of the issue?
  • Is this happening on mobile or desktop, or both?
  • Can it be replicated on different browsers?

pliersandstring
Excursionist
16 2 5

Hi Trevor!

The main thing here is implementation, not function. The manner in which Shop Pay is implemented usurps more traditional payment methods. This runs a non-negligible risk of confusing our demo, thereby deterring sales.

That said, I'm aware of the benefits of Shop Pay, which is why I made my first post in these forums! I'm just not cool subsidizing Shopify's marketing tab while compromising our funnel.

We've disabled the payment method so I do not have video, no. Fyiy it was on Safari, Big Sur 11.6 and 11.5.2.

Thanks so much for your time!

Ryan

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@pliersandstring 

Thank you for the additional context. Changing how Shop Pay appears and/or operates wouldn't be possible at this time, which I understand isn't ideal given that it trumps other payment providers during the checkout process. That said, I have forwarded your feedback to our Shop Pay product team for further review so they can consider making changes in the future. 

As for the issue you were reporting, I wasn't able to replicate the issue using the same device/browser. Should you change your mind in the future about using Shop Pay and you experience the same issue, then we'll need a video example of the issue so our team can review it further. However; until then, we needn't worry about creating a video if you're not intending to use Shop Pay for your store.